Cruise Critic heading out on Mariner! What do you want to know?

• Members

I can't find the post now but someone asked if we ended up with covid on the cruise. Nope! My friend and I have been fine. 

I did have a nightmare trip back home but that's not Regent's fault. Between delays and weather, it took me 36 straight hours to get home from Vancouver. It took another six days to get my suitcase. 

The whole trip home was so bad that it led me to cancel my next work cruise because I didn't think I'd make it home in time for a personal vacation. So no live report from Ovation of the Seas from me! 

I talked to Regent when I got back; and I think the Alaska route has some challenges now. It's not just them - I have been seeing issues with Silversea and Viking ships in the region as well. The labor shortage is very difficult right now in busy tourist areas like Alaska. Things are still not back to "normal normal." 

We have a staff editor going to Alaska in mid-July on a different line. We'll be able to see by then if things have gotten better. 

Next work cruise isn't until mid-August now: Oceania's Riviera in the Baltics. I'll get a thread going when the time comes. 

• Like 2

• Members
On 6/14/2022 at 7:45 AM, ChucktownSteve said:

Chris,

Thank you for this excellent report and other linked stories. I am following closely since we'll be doing this cruise in three months.  I'm also enjoying the pics.

We were given Monopole when we embarked the Navigator last month. Then we were given a bottle of Veuve Clicquot for the first two bad evenings in Compass Rose.  We gave the two bottles to the hostess for taking very good care of us the rest of the cruise.

Chris, my question relates to your statement about speaking with other passengers on their experience and if they feel they are getting value for their money.   Do you feel that you are getting your value for the money on this cruise?

The issue of value for your money is always interesting. When people learn I'm from CC, they are happy to give me their opinions, and I love hearing them. I always ask them the value question last -- and most people do say yes. 

I wrote up an article about all-inclusive Alaska options inspired by the trip -- https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=7003. Regent and Silversea are the most inclusive lines. It depends on whether you think you will really take advantage of everything that you're paying for. Some of our included excursions were great; others not so much. 

There were things I expected from a luxury line that I didn't get on this trip. I noted that there was no greeting with a drink or towel when you come back from excursions. I expected a bigger seafood extravaganza, perhaps with crab legs. I expected the option for an excursion that gets you closer to Hubbard Glacier. I expected something a bit more "special" and Alaska focused. 

Whether that is due to Regent or supply chain issues or the labor challenges or this ship in particular, it's hard to say. 

Edited by Cruise Critic Chris
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Cruise Critic Chris said:

The labor shortage is very difficult right now in busy tourist areas like Alaska. Things are still not back to "normal normal." 

What people may not realize is that many people who work in the tourist industry in Alaska come north for the summer from places around the lower 48.  I'm sure there is huge disruption in this process, as with all other travel.  It wasn't so long ago that Canada required vaccination and testing to get into the country, and some of these folks actually drive to Alaska, believe it or not (and live in their RVs for the summer.)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cruise Critic Chris said:

There were things I expected from a luxury line that I didn't get on this trip. I noted that there was no greeting with a drink or towel when you come back from excursions. I expected a bigger seafood extravaganza, perhaps with crab legs.

Chris, I completely agree about the crab legs!  It's inexplicable to me that Crab legs (Especially - "Fresh") on a Regent Alaska cruise (or fresh crab AND fresh lobster/clams/oysters on a Regent New England/Canada Maritime Cruise), would not be available for Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner...with "snacks in between" on those itineraries!  😉  Can't they/won't they provision that "fresh and right off the docks" when they're operating in those areas?  Or must it all be ordered/frozen/packed/delivered well in advance of initially getting underway?  Best Regards.  I really enjoyed reading your travel report.  Thanks. 

I have read here on CC that many lines are having a staff shortage problem so thar some onboard amenities and activities. Chris, I wonder on your cruise what the staffing number actually was — compared to Regent’s published staffing number.

On 6/25/2022 at 5:35 PM, pingpong1 said:

Chris, I completely agree about the crab legs!  It's inexplicable to me that Crab legs (Especially - "Fresh") on a Regent Alaska cruise (or fresh crab AND fresh lobster/clams/oysters on a Regent New England/Canada Maritime Cruise), would not be available for Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner...with "snacks in between" on those itineraries!  😉  Can't they/won't they provision that "fresh and right off the docks" when they're operating in those areas?  Or must it all be ordered/frozen/packed/delivered well in advance of initially getting underway?  Best Regards.  I really enjoyed reading your travel report.  Thanks. 

We just got off a Princess ship from Alaska and found the very same thing no fresh local seafood or fish

• Like 1