snorkeling Recommendations in Cozumel

Dwright826

so far I Cant find a snorkeling excursion in Cozumel that specifically States that They go to one of the best spots in Cozumel. From What I understand, Cozumel has some of the best Snorkeling spots in the world. Can anyone Recommend a snorkeling excursion that they have Personally been on , that They have been to one of these spots and have Simply had their minds blown. My issue is that every excursion ive viewed and Read the Reviews ,Ive found Someone saying that They were taken Somewhere there was minimal fish and nothing but dead Coral and white Rock. Well be going June 24th.

32 minutes ago, Dwright826 said:

so far I Cant find a snorkeling excursion in Cozumel that specifically States that They go to one of the best spots in Cozumel. From What I understand, Cozumel has some of the best Snorkeling spots in the world. Can anyone Recommend a snorkeling excursion that they have Personally been on , that They have been to one of these spots and have Simply had their minds blown. My issue is that every excursion ive viewed and Read the Reviews ,Ive found Someone saying that They were taken Somewhere there was minimal fish and nothing but dead Coral and white Rock. Well be going June 24th.

Cozumel has some of the best diving spots but most of the reefs are too deep for good snorkeling. The near reefs were destroyed by hurricanes and are taking time to regenerate along with other problems  are causing difficulties with the coral. 

That said it all depends what your standards and expectations are and what you are comparing it to. Also keep in mind it is nature and subject to daily external influences that will affect your individual experience. I suggest you take a look  at  @Mitsugirly blog - she has probably been to almost all the snorkeling sites on Cozumel and whilst her reviews aren’t necessarily what you will experience on any given day she has done and reviewed most shore, boat and other snorkeling excursions.

Good but not great snorkeling from the shore is available at the Money Bar (plus good food/drinks and they used to have a sunset happy hour 😎) - as suggested above, check Mitsugirly's review.

There is also good snorkeling available at Chankanaab, along with a small beach, nature trails, dolphins, etc, but they also charge a $20 admission fee.

I took a boat excusion out from Nachi Cocu m and had a great time.

Had a HUGE (I think it was a grouper) swim up behined me and scare the crap out of me. (and as an almost 300 lb guy, most fish don't freak me out)

If you are on a western itinerary, MUCH better snokeling in Roatan, Belize and Grand Cayman.

I use Cozumel for a relaxing beach day.

Check out my website travelwithmitsugirly.com and you can find our experiences while snorkeling (you could say we are "pro" snorkelers and snorkel everywhere). Most people will recommend snorkeling at either Chankanaab or Money Bar. I didn't find great snorkeling at MB. 

If you are looking to go by boat, find one that goes to El Cielo. We had a great time with them (although know that you will be out in deeper water, which makes it harder to see the coral because of the depth) but it also included swimming with the stingrays and a stop at a sandbar area with starfish.

One of the most amazing snorkeling areas we found when we were there last was at Sky Reef. This was due to the abundance amount of sea fans in the area. It was a crazy amount and so beautiful! Every color and size and it just blew my mind. Of course there was coral and fish as well but it was just a beautiful site!

Sunset Restaurant & Bar we went to one day and started snorkeling and my hubby surprised me with a discover scuba instead and it was so much fun and more than what I expected. We went along the shore and there was coral and fish and a little ways down there they have some sculptures and this sculpture that looked like a replica of a DNA. They even have camera's down there were they watch the growth of the coral (and you can view it online). We managed to see several eel's that day among other things. Pretty cool experience if you've never tried scuba. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sunset Restaurant and Bar is next to a dive shop. We walk there every time we stop in Cozumel on a cruise ship. Usually, we spend a couple of hours there swimming and eating the most delicious fajitas we have ever had. The dive shop has lots of guided offerings - snorkeling and diving. 

• 2 weeks later...

We snorkeled from Cabana Beach (part of/right next to Chankanaab) and the snorkeling was pretty good. Many, many different kinds of colorful fish, right by the (rocky) shore. Water was chilly in April - although it was HOT out so felt pretty good - and there was a current so I ended up appreciating my flippers, but I was pretty impressed with the diversity of fish.

2 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

We snorkeled from Cabana Beach (part of/right next to Chankanaab) and the snorkeling was pretty good. Many, many different kinds of colorful fish, right by the (rocky) shore. Water was chilly in April - although it was HOT out so felt pretty good - and there was a current so I ended up appreciating my flippers, but I was pretty impressed with the diversity of fish.

We also did this last week on Allure and I was impressed with the snorkeling. My kids had never been before and they though it was AMAZING. But yes, lots of colorful fish, diversity in size, etc just yards from the shore

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Cozumel has some of the BEST SCUBA DIVING in the world, but the snorkeling isn''t.  It has to do with the reefs.  All the incredible diving reefs are 40-50' deep at minimum on the top, with a wall that drops off 200' or more.  The side of the wall is where the incredible diving is located.  From a snorkel boat  you really can't get down there... plus Cozumel is drift diving which means the current is always pulling you along.  Not good for people floating on the surface.  Here's a sample of the diving:

• 1 year later...
On 6/9/2022 at 5:47 PM, c-leg5 said:

Cozumel has some of the best diving spots but most of the reefs are too deep for good snorkeling.

On 8/17/2022 at 3:40 PM, ABQrobin said:

Cozumel has some of the BEST SCUBA DIVING in the world, but the snorkeling isn''t.  It has to do with the reefs.  All the incredible diving reefs are 40-50' deep at minimum on the top, with a wall that drops off 200' or more.  The side of the wall is where the incredible diving is located.  From a snorkel boat  you really can't get down there.

I love snorkeling and do it every chance I get. I was looking at going out with Cozumel H2O since they were highly rated. I think I'm spoiled. Hubby took me to the South Pacific last year and the coral and fish were so amazing and close! I have never seen anything like it & am dying to get back before I'm too old! I also loved the Virgin Islands, around the Grenadines, Grand Cayman, Bonaire, and Hawaii. Several islands have disappointed me due to dead coral and lack of wildlife. Even some places on my favorite St. John aren't as good as they once were.My faves are Watermelon Cay and North Hauler there. Am I going to be disappointed with a snorkeling tour to the northern reefs? We would visit 4 of these:  Paradise shallow,Villa Blanca, Casitas, Little Wrecks, Palomita, Cantarel. I love to take pics so shallow is always better. We will also be going to Caye Caulkner and West Bay Beach to snorkel. I am also considering going out on a boat in Mahahual. My husband has told me to temper my expectations and he would really like to stay on the ship more. I would just like to see either great coral or abundant fish/sea critters, preferably both! I would enjoy any snorkeling, but he says I see the same fish, "Fred," everywhere I go! Ha! Some unusual creatures would be great, too. Sorry this is so long, but I'm struggling with deciding. Lucky problem to have! Thanks so much!

58 minutes ago, back to the islands said:

I love snorkeling and do it every chance I get. I was looking at going out with Cozumel H2O since they were highly rated. I think I'm spoiled. Hubby took me to the South Pacific last year and the coral and fish were so amazing and close! I have never seen anything like it & am dying to get back before I'm too old! I also loved the Virgin Islands, around the Grenadines, Grand Cayman, Bonaire, and Hawaii. Several islands have disappointed me due to dead coral and lack of wildlife. Even some places on my favorite St. John aren't as good as they once were.My faves are Watermelon Cay and North Hauler there. Am I going to be disappointed with a snorkeling tour to the northern reefs? We would visit 4 of these:  Paradise shallow,Villa Blanca, Casitas, Little Wrecks, Palomita, Cantarel. I love to take pics so shallow is always better. We will also be going to Caye Caulkner and West Bay Beach to snorkel. I am also considering going out on a boat in Mahahual. My husband has told me to temper my expectations and he would really like to stay on the ship more. I would just like to see either great coral or abundant fish/sea critters, preferably both! I would enjoy any snorkeling, but he says I see the same fish, "Fred," everywhere I go! Ha! Some unusual creatures would be great, too. Sorry this is so long, but I'm struggling with deciding. Lucky problem to have! Thanks so much!

I would temper expectations and probably snorkel from shore on Cozumel and by boat in Costa Maya. 

Main locations on Cozumel all listed and described in this thread  - Money Bar, Chankanaab, Sky Reef, as well as Playa Corona, Buccanos, La Monina. 

Be aware that most snorkeling in Cozumel is drift snorkeling so be aware of currents. Many people get in at one location and out at another. Currents are predominantly one direction at different locations but can alter and I feel it is safest to check with locals on the day.

Reefs in Costa maya generally shallower but can be some distance from the shore depending on location.

11 hours ago, back to the islands said:

As someone who has been to all of the spots you have for snorkeling including Waterlemon Cay (don't see people post THAT spot often!) and who is getting ready to go on an Australia to Tahiti cruise, I can say the areas you are going to are of course not as good as Klein Bonaire or the Grenadines!  But they are not CocoCay snorkeling either.  Probably in the middle if that makes sense.  A lot of the spots from shore in Cozumel are not what they used to be.  Places off shore are definitely better but not spectacular.

15 hours ago, back to the islands said:

My personal opinion... YES, you will be disappointed with snorkeling in Cozumel.. It is IMHO the best scuba diving in the Caribbean, period.  BUT snorkeling, nope.  The reefs in Cozumel are far to deep to see, and it is all drift diving with current you cannot fight, you have to go with it.  

Snorkeling is best done at your own pace, and being able to hang out and watch the fish.  Bonaire and Roatan are the best IMHO for that.  

Thank you all! Have any of you ever snorkeled at Mahahual? I have considered either snorkeling from Hayhu Beach Club or going out with Dr. Dive by boat. The video I've seen looked ok, but not anything special. Do you get to see eagle rays from any of these ports? I have gotten to see them twice only and once they were so deep you couldn't see the spots.The other time I could've touched it, but it was before I bought myself a decent underwater camera. Sometimes I sure wish I was certified to dive, but I'm not. Otherwise, I think I'll just plan to stay on the ship and my husband would love that! Thanks so much! 

On 3/12/2024 at 8:34 PM, back to the islands said:

Thank you all! Have any of you ever snorkeled at Mahahual? I have considered either snorkeling from Hayhu Beach Club or going out with Dr. Dive by boat. The video I've seen looked ok, but not anything special. Do you get to see eagle rays from any of these ports? I have gotten to see them twice only and once they were so deep you couldn't see the spots.The other time I could've touched it, but it was before I bought myself a decent underwater camera. Sometimes I sure wish I was certified to dive, but I'm not. Otherwise, I think I'll just plan to stay on the ship and my husband would love that! Thanks so much! 

Just my thoughts...Costa Maya isn't really a great place to snorkel from the beach. We used to go at the very beginning (by the lighthouse) to Blue Kay and it had great snorkeling, in very shallow-like water, and there was a lot to see. We went there several times over and over and loved it with each visit. However, it has changed a lot over the years (it used to be a very beautiful beach with not much activity) but they have evolved a lot and built more and more and now it pretty much feels like every other beach club. The last time we went, last year, I couldn't even find that great snorkeling I had found before. So...not sure what's going on there. 

We are not certified to dive, but do the Discover Scuba Dives every time we are on vacation (we have done 21 DSD so far all over the Caribbean). Last year, we decided to do a DSD in Costa Maya. We went with Pepe Dive, which is located right on the Malecon. I was pleasantly surprised how good the reef/dive was. I went in not expecting much because I know the snorkeling isn't that great. You should give it a try! We love it!  HERE is a review, with tons of pictures, of our dive with them last year. 

Your video was great, mitsugirly! Love the swarm of fish! Yellow tailed snapper? Don't you have to get certified to dive? I don't know if the hubby would do Discover Scuba, but I think I would be game if it's safe without any prior preparation. Although he is my "safety blanket"... along with my camera. He thinks it would be claustrophobic and convinced me several years ago I wouldn't like it. Says I'd stay down too long because I get distracted following fish and don't listen well. He is correct on both accounts.

I have been all through your videos, pics, and reviews of all of our ports. Your Sakari is quite the mermaid! My husband calls me the Queen of the mermaids and one of my grands even asked about the color of my tail...before I gave it up like Arial! Ha! Please give me more info on the Discover Scuba and if one with no experience can do that. I really don't even dive down snorkeling...I seem to be uber buoyant so I like shallow snorkeling to get good photos and video. I can dive down in my pool at home, but never do on snorkel adventures. I really think my South Pacific trip last year may have ruined me for life. I guess that's a good problem.

Thanks so much!

9 hours ago, back to the islands said:

Your video was great, mitsugirly! Love the swarm of fish! Yellow tailed snapper? Don't you have to get certified to dive? I don't know if the hubby would do Discover Scuba, but I think I would be game if it's safe without any prior preparation. Although he is my "safety blanket"... along with my camera. He thinks it would be claustrophobic and convinced me several years ago I wouldn't like it. Says I'd stay down too long because I get distracted following fish and don't listen well. He is correct on both accounts.

I have been all through your videos, pics, and reviews of all of our ports. Your Sakari is quite the mermaid! My husband calls me the Queen of the mermaids and one of my grands even asked about the color of my tail...before I gave it up like Arial! Ha! Please give me more info on the Discover Scuba and if one with no experience can do that. I really don't even dive down snorkeling...I seem to be uber buoyant so I like shallow snorkeling to get good photos and video. I can dive down in my pool at home, but never do on snorkel adventures. I really think my South Pacific trip last year may have ruined me for life. I guess that's a good problem.

Thanks so much!

Thanks so much! The swarm of fish were Horse eye Jacks. They were amazing!

No, you do not have to be certified to dive if you do the Discover Scuba Dive. It is for people who want to try diving before getting certified and you can do it anywhere (we've never gotten certified but do the Discover Scuba in at least one of the ports we cruise to and on land vacations each time and as I've said, we've done 21 dives so far). 

You do a short class that explains the diving and equipment. They go over all the safety stuff about breathing, hand signals, clearing your ears, compression, and they teach you different skills and how to do them (like removing your regulator, clearing your mask, using the bcd to inflate/deflate your air and so on). Then after the class, you will go into the water (sometimes the ocean, sometimes a pool) and practice these skills you learned. Once you have accomplished this, then they take you on your dive.

You will have your instructor with you the entire time, watching over you and making sure you are comfortable and not experiencing any issues. You are only allowed to go 40' down when you are not certified (but we have been on dives we managed to go down almost 70'...oops). You usually stay out there around 40-60 minutes. So, you wouldn't be able to stay longer than the dive instructor allows and they keep a constant watch on your air. Sometimes the amount of time you stay down depends on your air consumption. The faster you breathe the more air you use. Since we have done it so often, we have learned to regulate our breathing and our air usually last pretty long.

They are your "guide" while under the water and you follow them...so distracted as you may get, you are still with your guide. 🙂 I'm not sure about the claustrophobic comment since you are out in the open ocean and not enclosed. 🤷‍♀️

Sakari was a mermaid for so many years (we miss it) and had 8 different tails (I think it was). When covid hit, she sorta grew out of it and as much as I miss her little mermaid swims, I think those days are long gone (although she pulled her last tail out the other night and was showing her boyfriend lol). 

As for diving down while snorkeling and being buoyant (while being able to dive in your pool), the reason for that is that you are in salt water. You float better in salt water, which makes it harder to dive down when snorkeling (or stay down and you quickly float back up). Salt water is much denser than fresh water. Other factors are your weight. The bigger you are the more buoyant you are in the ocean. When you dive, your instructor will put weights in your bcd (the "jacket" you wear for scuba) or in a weight belt. This will allow you to go down. The instructor will adjust the weights as needed (if you sink too much or float too much. No worries about that during diving. 

I really hope you give it a shot some day. It's an amazing world under the water and why we have grown to love it so much. So many things you will see that you won't probably ever get a chance to see by just snorkeling. If you love taking pictures while snorkeling, you will be amazed at all the pictures when you are up close diving beside them. 

There are so many other places that are great for diving doing a Discover Scuba Dive as well. Maybe you'll get addicted to it like me. 😄  

Oh, the other thing is, with your hubby being certified, he would still be able to tag along with you on the dive (just wouldn't require the class of course). You'd get to dive together. 🙂 

@back to the islands Here's a playlist I have of all our dives (I just recently over the last couple of years started making a full video of our dives so some of the older ones are just clips) and we have enjoyed each one of them. Of course a lot of them we didn't record and just took pictures in the beginning because we didn't have our GoPros.    MY DIVE LIST

Thank you! Hubby is not certified and has no desire. I'm not sure he'd even try it, but I will definitely look into it. Funny thing is he tried to get me to snorkel on our honeymoon 44 years ago and the water was rough and I thought of Jaws and climbed right back into the boat. He tried again a couple years later from shore and I did fine...until I realized how far from shore we'd gotten. I never tried it again til I was 50 on our 25th anniversary trip to Hawaii. We started going to St. John and it was so easy from shore there I became addicted. He really wishes he'd never opened this up to me now because it's all I want to do most places. Sometimes he just stays on the boat and watches from there. 

On 3/12/2024 at 8:34 PM, back to the islands said:

Yes.  I have been at both.  We have used Pepe Dive for a 1 hour trip out to a decent reef at Mahahual.  Also have been out to reef in Hayhu.  It is a bit of a swim and I don't really recommend for novice snorkelers or unsteady swimmers.  Once you get out there its pretty good.  Not Bonaire but not cruiselines private islands.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2024 at 10:46 AM, back to the islands said:

Thank you! Hubby is not certified and has no desire. I'm not sure he'd even try it, but I will definitely look into it. Funny thing is he tried to get me to snorkel on our honeymoon 44 years ago and the water was rough and I thought of Jaws and climbed right back into the boat. He tried again a couple years later from shore and I did fine...until I realized how far from shore we'd gotten. I never tried it again til I was 50 on our 25th anniversary trip to Hawaii. We started going to St. John and it was so easy from shore there I became addicted. He really wishes he'd never opened this up to me now because it's all I want to do most places. Sometimes he just stays on the boat and watches from there. 

Oh I'm sorry. I don't know why I was reading that and for some reason I read into it that he was certified and you weren't. Oopsy! 🤣  Yea, snorkeling is addicting and once you try to scuba, that will be too. It's just a whole lot different and easier to get those amazing photos! What camera do you use?

I use an Olympus TG5. I started with Canons about 15 years ago. I killed one in Hawaii by not shutting it completely.😬 I had another just flood in mid snorkel and they replaced it. I bought a newer model after the D10 was replaced because I was fearful it would die... they both died mid snorkel in St. John in 2012 and I realized how much my camera was my security blanket! Ha With 3 flooding after being closed correctly, I bough the Olympus TG2 in 2013 and it worked great. It still works, but I upgraded before my S. Pacific trip last year. Between my new camera, the wonderful water clarity, shallow reefs, and the rainbow of coral colors I got the most stunning photos! Not just a lucky one here and there, but pretty much every single one! I love revisiting my photos and videos from last year and it just makes me want to get back over there!

8 hours ago, back to the islands said:

I use an Olympus TG5. I started with Canons about 15 years ago. I killed one in Hawaii by not shutting it completely.😬 I had another just flood in mid snorkel and they replaced it. I bought a newer model after the D10 was replaced because I was fearful it would die... they both died mid snorkel in St. John in 2012 and I realized how much my camera was my security blanket! Ha With 3 flooding after being closed correctly, I bough the Olympus TG2 in 2013 and it worked great. It still works, but I upgraded before my S. Pacific trip last year. Between my new camera, the wonderful water clarity, shallow reefs, and the rainbow of coral colors I got the most stunning photos! Not just a lucky one here and there, but pretty much every single one! I love revisiting my photos and videos from last year and it just makes me want to get back over there!

Oh my gosh...are we related somehow? 😄  You sound just like me. When I first purchased my D10 14 years ago I absolutely LOVED it and that's what got me hooked on taking pictures AND snorkeling. The pictures were amazing. However, after several of them dying on me, including batteries dying all the time, I learned years ago I needed one more camera as a back up and would carry 2 camera's with me. Eventually I would go on to purchase extra batteries to take along and extra chargers. I was PREPARED!! 

Then I switched to Olympus Tough cameras. I started with the TG4, then I bought two TG 6 after I discovered the macro on it was to die for. Then I added a GoPro Hero 7 (which is probably the crappiest GoPro ever made but it was a Black Friday special I got for cheap) and now I have the GoPro 10. I still have some of my older Olympus camera's but my munchkin cracked the screen and can only be used on land. So, it just sits around now...as a just in case.   I have so much equipment I bring along with me...chargers, batteries, straps, SD cards, filters, tripods, extensions. I go all out these days and I absolutely love it! It's my passion and I get so much joy in putting my reviews and video's together. I could do this full time for sure! Maybe some day. 😊

• Like 1

We were on the Harmony of the Seas and wanted to have a boat ride on our last stop which was Cozumel. We don't normally buy the excursions on the ship due to the price but decided this time to do so as we did not know what we would find on shore.  We did the Fury Catamarans cruise and snorkel.  4 hours in total.

The boats came right next to the pier we docked at which was very convenient.  They had several that day and each boat is 65' long and can handle 60 people. We motored for about 30 minutes and then snorkeled with the current for about 40 minutes.  The water was about 82 degrees so it was cold after a while. The snorkeling was pretty good. The staff did a great job feeding the fish so we had lots of action. There was some pretty coral and even a couple of eels.  We went to their private beach for 90 minutes and they had free beer and margaritas onshore as well as on the ship after snorkeling. The water was great and the beach toys were a lot of fun.

Fernando and the crew of Fury 5 did a great job and we had a wonderful time. Boats were in great shape. Everyone that snorkeled had a life vest and we were given a safety and communication briefing. We would recommend Fury Catamarans.

• Like 1

Just read the Dec 2022 review of Chankanaab park.  We were there about 25 years ago.  So newer info is needed.  HA!

We want to go back in a month.  Only two of us.

Probably do a taxi.  The park.  Need two shaded chairs.  Will have our own snorkel gear to snorkel from beach.  No food or drinks needed.  Restroom and shower to get sand off feet. 

So the questions are - do we need to make any reservations?  Approximate costs?  Does it ever get so crowded that chairs are hard to come by, if so is there a plan B once you get there?  Are the taxis easy to do coming and going. 

All advice appreciated.  Thanks.