Medically exempt from Covid 19. Can you still cruise?

Cruise Quest

So, I’m not an anti vaxer, indeed all my family have had the vaccine but I can’t. I have an NHS UK exemption certificate issued by my doctor due to my medical condition. 

Is there anyone else that has managed to sail with an exemption certificate?

RCI are being particularly difficult and I think it’s because it’s a UK certificate and they know nothing about NHS UK protocols! 
Hoping to sail from Stockholme in July who have no country restrictions and only Finland on the itinerary currently requires proof of vaccination!

3 hours ago, pc_load_letter said:

Here in the US, my co-worker and his wife both received medical exemptions from Carnival to cruise last month.

OP mentioned RCI. RCI has different requirements than Carnival.

OP mentioned some countries. Carnival's or any cruise lines medical exemption does not overide the requirements of any country on an itinerary. 

Unfortunately RCI want a letter from my GP but my GP will not give one as he says the medical exemption certificate is more than sufficient as legal proof here in the UK! Which means no more cruising for me and we have so much tied up in future cruise credits! 

11 hours ago, Cruise Quest said:

Unfortunately RCI want a letter from my GP but my GP will not give one as he says the medical exemption certificate is more than sufficient as legal proof here in the UK! Which means no more cruising for me and we have so much tied up in future cruise credits! 

Gosh, seems like the certificate should speak for itself.   What do they want your Doc to say in a letter I wonder.   At the same time, asking your Doc put a couple sentences on a letterhead doesn't seem like a big deal either.   I hope it works out for you.   

14 hours ago, Cruise Quest said:

Can you not go to another doctor? Especially if there is a lot of money at stake with FCC?

On 6/10/2022 at 11:35 AM, Cruise Quest said:

So, I’m not an anti vaxer, indeed all my family have had the vaccine but I can’t. I have an NHS UK exemption certificate issued by my doctor due to my medical condition. 

Is there anyone else that has managed to sail with an exemption certificate?

RCI are being particularly difficult and I think it’s because it’s a UK certificate and they know nothing about NHS UK protocols! 
Hoping to sail from Stockholme in July who have no country restrictions and only Finland on the itinerary currently requires proof of vaccination!

Howdy @Cruise Quest emo22.gif

Thank you for your new thread on the Ask a Cruise Question forum! 👍 However, it is the forum for general questions regarding cruising & your inquiry is UK specific.

To help you out I have moved your thread to the UK Cruisers forum. Your fellow UK Cruise Critic members sailing on RCI may have had the same problem and can provide feedback to you here. 

Hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/11/2022 at 11:10 PM, Sea42 said:

Can you not go to another doctor? Especially if there is a lot of money at stake with FCC?

Definitely. Im pretty sure my GP would be perfectly happy to do that, even if it just referenced the exemption certificate. I would have thought a private GP would do the same, although there would be a fee of course!

On 6/10/2022 at 5:35 PM, Cruise Quest said:

RCI are being particularly difficul

On 6/11/2022 at 9:05 AM, Cruise Quest said:

Unfortunately RCI want a letter from my GP but my GP will not give one as he says the medical exemption certificate is more than sufficient as legal proof here in the UK

Sounds very frustrating

Suggestions:

- keep badgering RCI directly and via your TA, elevating the issue up the management chain

- post your issue on the RCI Board of CC

- post your issue on other well known social media sites used by RCI

- seek reimbursement of your FCCs if the cruise line is unreasonably denying you the ability to use them

- raise a formal complaint through ABTA

On 6/11/2022 at 9:05 AM, Cruise Quest said:

Did you ask the GP practice not the GP himself but the practice business how much they would charge to write the letter for you? Not in the terms of offering a bribe but in terms of the making money for the business? I am sure they would throw a price at you or perhaps agree to do it for a  donation to the charity box. if you made that suggestion. I put a £20 in the collection box for I think Cancer Research it was at my GP for printing my vaccine passport nhs thing on paper for me as I could not use the I Phone too well. It took the staff member a good 30 minutes tinkering about and running back and forth to the office for me I was more than happy to be generous to the charity box as they would not take money directly.

Edited by ace2542

10 hours ago, flossie009 said:

- keep badgering RCI directly and via your TA, elevating the issue up the management chain

- post your issue on the RCI Board of CC

Number 1 unlikely to do anything unless the T/A brings in this complaint on mass. Number 2 would get the email address of one of the RCL main directors though who might respond or do something.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting to read that RCI wanted a letter from a UK Doctor. My wife and I contracted Covid 4 days before a cruise. Our Doctor attended to us due to our severe reaction and issued us with 'Unfit to Travel' letters. RCI refused to accept them despite the pleas on our behalf from our travel agent stating that we had not provided proof of positive tests and that the Doctors letter didn't have an NHS logo on it. No refund but eventually they said they would issue a cruise credit, still waiting on that.

24 minutes ago, Glencraigs said:

No refund but eventually they said they would issue a cruise credit, still waiting on that.

Surely you can claim on the cancellation section of your travel insurance? Most now cover for this eventuality.

I know this will come at a price but could you book a private appointment with a private hospital, have a discussion them in person about this and get them to write a letter? You could then take it to your gp and get in NHS typed.

it will not be your gp but it will be a letter from a doctor. Check with the cruise line of it has to be your g p.

I had a private hospital appt in January and the consultation cost £180 and they write a letter as part of that for my regular gp.

failing that try and get in contact with the medical Secretary at your practice?

Edited by Velvetwater