Solo balcony cabins

ranchette

27 minutes ago, ranchette said:

What cruise lines have solo balcony cabins? 

Celebrity has them on the Edge series ships, and some of the Royal ships do as well.  Look for specials throughout the year on all lines though. 

Also Royal offers 150pcnt single supplement on all categories once you hit 340 loyalty points. Something to be aware of if you are at that level. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JsMom2 said:

Celebrity has them on the Edge series ships, and some of the Royal ships do as well.  Look for specials throughout the year on all lines though. 

Also Royal offers 150pcnt single supplement on all categories once you hit 340 loyalty points. Something to be aware of if you are at that level. 

29 minutes ago, JsMom2 said:

Thanks for your reply. How do I check my loyalty points?

9 hours ago, ranchette said:

Celebrity has Single Infinite Veranda cabins on the three Edge-class ships (Edge, Apex, and Beyond, category ES). There are 24 on Edge and Apex, 32 on Beyond. All these cabins are on deck 6 and many have obstructed views (lifeboat equipment).

Royal Caribbean includes Studio Balcony cabins (category 2F) on Quantum-class ships (Quantum, Ovation, Anthem, Spectrum, and Odyssey). There are only 12 per ship, with six on deck 6 and six on deck 7. I was supposed to be in one of these cabins next week but had to cancel due to job demands, ack. Oh well. As far as I can tell, Quantrum Ultra ships (Wonder of the Seas is the first) does not have these cabins.

MSC has Studio Balconies (category BS) on Grandiosa and Virtuosa. However, there are only 4 per ship, at the aft of the ship, connected to the adjacent cabin... and have bunk beds. They seem to be intended to be combined with the connecting deluxe balcony to create a family suite. Here's a tour of one such cabin:

Luckily MSC is so well-priced that you can just book a regular balcony.

As far as I know, that's it for mainstream lines with solo balconies. If you're a determined bargain hunter, you don't need to limit yourself to the few options. Five of my last six cruises were in regular balconies!

Edited by coastcat
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, JsMom2 said:

That's very interesting, I always get a bit upset at having to pay almost the same price as 2 people travelling as a couple.

I have not cruised with Royal Caribbean before, how many nights do you have to cruise on Royal to get 340 loyalty points ?

Edited by GOQ
added

9 hours ago, coastcat said:

Celebrity has Single Infinite Veranda cabins on the three Edge-class ships (Edge, Apex, and Beyond, category ES). There are 24 on Edge and Apex, 32 on Beyond. All these cabins are on deck 6 and many have obstructed views (lifeboat equipment).

Royal Caribbean includes Studio Balcony cabins (category 2F) on Quantum-class ships (Quantum, Ovation, Anthem, Spectrum, and Odyssey). There are only 12 per ship, with six on deck 6 and six on deck 7. I was supposed to be in one of these cabins next week but had to cancel due to job demands, ack. Oh well. As far as I can tell, Quantrum Ultra ships (Wonder of the Seas is the first) does not have these cabins.

MSC has Studio Balconies (category BS) on Grandiosa and Virtuosa. However, there are only 4 per ship, at the aft of the ship, connected to the adjacent cabin... and have bunk beds. They seem to be intended to be combined with the connecting deluxe balcony to create a family suite. Here's a tour of one such cabin:

Luckily MSC is so well-priced that you can just book a regular balcony.

As far as I know, that's it for mainstream lines with solo balconies. If you're a determined bargain hunter, you don't need to limit yourself to the few options. Five of my last six cruises were in regular balconies!

Does Celebrity go out of New York? Hate to fly.

6 hours ago, GOQ said:

That's very interesting, I always get a bit upset at having to pay almost the same price as 2 people travelling as a couple.

I have not cruised with Royal Caribbean before, how many nights do you have to cruise on Royal to get 340 loyalty points ?

One night = 1 point. For suites, it's 2 points per night. If you're sailing solo in a double occupancy cabin, and booked the cabin as a solo, it's double the points. (per the FAQ, if you booked with double occupancy and your companion does not sail, you still only get the 1 point per night)

Oddly enough, I've only sailed 7 nights on RC (solo in a double occupancy balcony) and have 22 points in my account.

4 hours ago, ranchette said:

Does Celebrity go out of New York? Hate to fly.

Celebrity Summit sails out of Cape Liberty NJ, mainly to Bermuda with a couple itineraries for Bermuda & Charleston SC and one sailing to Greenland & Iceland next summer. I took a look at prices - no bargains to be found yet. The only Edge-class ship scheduled for Cape Liberty is Celebrity Beyond, which is repositioning this October from Cape Liberty to Ft Lauderdale via Bermuda/Aruba/Curacao. 

1 hour ago, coastcat said:

One night = 1 point. For suites, it's 2 points per night. If you're sailing solo in a double occupancy cabin, and booked the cabin as a solo, it's double the points. (per the FAQ, if you booked with double occupancy and your companion does not sail, you still only get the 1 point per night)

Oddly enough, I've only sailed 7 nights on RC (solo in a double occupancy balcony) and have 22 points in my account.

Celebrity Summit sails out of Cape Liberty NJ, mainly to Bermuda with a couple itineraries for Bermuda & Charleston SC and one sailing to Greenland & Iceland next summer. I took a look at prices - no bargains to be found yet. The only Edge-class ship scheduled for Cape Liberty is Celebrity Beyond, which is repositioning this October from Cape Liberty to Ft Lauderdale via Bermuda/Aruba/Curacao. 

Did you ever sail on the Summit? How is this ship?

1 hour ago, ranchette said:

Did you ever sail on the Summit? How is this ship?

I've yet to sail Celebrity (the Christmas 2022 cruise on Apex will hopefully be my first, after three cancelled attempts) but here's a great trip report from last October:

This is how I would like to cruise - with a friend but in separate cabins. All I need is a friend who wants to cruise, oh well.

On 6/10/2022 at 9:58 AM, ranchette said:

UK cruise company Saga has two ships similar to the Viking all-balcony ocean vessels, but 20% of the cabins are solo.

Just booked 2 solo cabins on Celebrity Equinox and Celebrity Infinity on a consecutive cruise for next month.  Approximately $1900 13 nights  in Aquaclass including tips,  standard bev pkg (I only drink bottled water and specialty coffees) and surf internet! 

I looked today and prices have gone up to approx $1500 per cruise.  But check Celebrity for the Single+ rates close to sailing.   They want to fill those rooms!

• Like 1

On 6/10/2022 at 12:59 PM, ranchette said:

Thanks for your reply. How do I check my loyalty points?

You can view your points by logging into your account on the cruise line.  You can see your past sailings, and can verify they are all recorded correctly. 

Be sure to check the prices of regular balcony cabins. On my February cruise, I got a great deal where a balcony was the same price as an inside cabin. It doesn't happen like that very often. And even better, I booked it as a guarantee and got assigned to a deluxe balcony at the aft. It was a wonderful view.

20220205_174221.jpg

• Like 2