P&O "extras" ??

I have read here about the things that P&O AUD charge as "extras" - I guess when compared to other cruiselines?. I have previously done lots of P&O cruises - and Cunard, Princess, RCL, NCL cruises - but I can't really recall anything that I had to pay extra for (except for the optional restaurants). Can somebody kindly tell me what P&O are charging extra for things that other cruiselines aren't .Ā  Ā PS I don't eat much icecream so no need to mention thatĀ 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Icecream,lol. Some shows, deck food like šŸ” šŸŒ­ šŸŸ. Ā Room service food items and more.

The new one is theĀ  'specialty' show. P&O (and also Princess) have charged for icecream (other than in the dining room) for years.

2 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

The new one is theĀ  'specialty' show. P&O (and also Princess) have charged for icecream (other than in the dining room) for years.

Princess has icecream complimentary up on deck.

• Like 1

A lot of this stems from the way P&O is trying to present what is otherwise snack food on other lines.

Ā 

P&O charge for ice cream (apart from the dining room). It isn't home brand Neapolitan, but a very nice New Zealand ice cream, with the choice of around 20 flavours. If this is a problem, there are other lines with free generic soft serve ice cream machines in their buffets. I won't pick a cruise on either option, but would understand it is cheaper to fill your kids up with soft serve on Carnival.

Ā 

P&O partnered with 400 Gradi to have a specialty pizza restaurant. That is supposedly an upmarket meal with an a la carte menu pricing. Because of this commercial arrangement, it is unlikely that P&O will ever have free pizza slices in the buffet like so many other cruise lines do. If you would rather fill up on pizza than other food, I would recommend Carnival, where your pizza is made to order. I won't pick a cruise based on the price or quality of pizza.

Ā 

P&O has also partnered with Luke Mangan, so their burgers are a higher quality than the sloppy joes in Royal's buffet. Yes, they also come at a price. In 4 or 5 cruises we have done with this option, I have had one of these burgers. Nice, but I can eat takeaway food on any weekend. If burgers are your dining choice, assemble your own burger in the buffet on Royal.

Ā 

The pay extra entertainment was of a higher standard than most of the free stuff on any ship. There was free entertainment in the theatre at the same time, so nobody was dudded by not paying to see Hans play with his accordion.

Ā 

If you want the usual fare of cruise buffet or dining room food, there is no charge on P&O over and above the other cruise lines.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, arxcards said:

A lot of this stems from the way P&O is trying to present what is otherwise snack food on other lines.

Ā 

P&O charge for ice cream (apart from the dining room). It isn't home brand Neapolitan, but a very nice New Zealand ice cream, with the choice of around 20 flavours. If this is a problem, there are other lines with free generic soft serve ice cream machines in their buffets. I won't pick a cruise on either option, but would understand it is cheaper to fill your kids up with soft serve on Carnival.

Ā 

P&O partnered with 400 Gradi to have a specialty pizza restaurant. That is supposedly an upmarket meal with an a la carte menu pricing. Because of this commercial arrangement, it is unlikely that P&O will ever have free pizza slices in the buffet like so many other cruise lines do. If you would rather fill up on pizza than other food, I would recommend Carnival, where your pizza is made to order. I won't pick a cruise based on the price or quality of pizza.

Ā 

P&O has also partnered with Luke Mangan, so their burgers are a higher quality than the sloppy joes in Royal's buffet. Yes, they also come at a price. In 4 or 5 cruises we have done with this option, I have had one of these burgers. Nice, but I can eat takeaway food on any weekend. If burgers are your dining choice, assemble your own burger in the buffet on Royal.

Ā 

The pay extra entertainment was of a higher standard than most of the free stuff on any ship. There was free entertainment in the theatre at the same time, so nobody was dudded by not paying to see Hans play with his accordion.

Ā 

If you want the usual fare of cruise buffet or dining room food, there is no charge on P&O over and above the other cruise lines.

Thanks ,just going on carnival for guys burger šŸ”...there is only what's sailing to choose from šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

Thanks ,just going on carnival for guys burger šŸ”...there is only what's sailing to choose from šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Bring back a Royal ship with Johnny Rockets any day. Also not a freebie, but not expensive.Ā 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

Bring back a Royal ship with Johnny Rockets any day. Also not a freebie, but not expensive.Ā 

Now your talking, loved Johnny Rockets along with a great sing song from the staff.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CDaze71 said:

Really? Never found this on my recent 2020 Princess cruise. Will have to seek this out on Coral.Ā 

@Cbtours

Pre-pandemic we went onto the Ruby's Feb'20 sampler out of Sydney and I remember the ice cream being free.

Ā 

It was somewhere on the Lido deck, think around in the pool area.

Ā 

Bet Coral would be similar

Ā 

Michael

Not very helpful as I can't remember which Princess ship, but there was free ice-cream just along from the pool on one of the ships.Ā  It may have been Diamond Princess but the grey matter is too jumbled and confused for me to be sure. It was hard scoop ice-cream in very limited flavors, vanilla, chocolate, strawberry and served in kiddie cones.Ā  Hopefully Coral has this too šŸ¤ž

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Not very helpful as I can't remember which Princess ship, but there was free ice-cream just along from the pool on one of the ships.Ā  It may have been Diamond Princess but the grey matter is too jumbled and confused for me to be sure. It was hard scoop ice-cream in very limited flavors, vanilla, chocolate, strawberry and served in kiddie cones.Ā  Hopefully Coral has this too šŸ¤ž

The Diamond in 2010 maybe 2012 had a free Ice-cream stall, but sold it to a NZ franchise Ice-cream company. Now you pay.

1 minute ago, Ozwoody said:

The Diamond in 2010 maybe 2012 had a free Ice-cream stall, but sold it to a NZ franchise Ice-cream company. Now you pay.

Aha, that explains it. Had soft serve on Carnival and it wasn't too bad, better than Mr Whippy soft serve šŸ¦