P&O "extras" ??

2 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

Looks like the myth or overstated statement that P&O charge for "everything" has been adequately deconstructed here. 

And P&O have two specialty restaurants that are free - asian-based Dragon Lady and italian Angelo's. Bookings almost essential. So four choices for included meals.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, arxcards said:

Bring back a Royal ship with Johnny Rockets any day. Also not a freebie, but not expensive. 

I'm not on till 16 Nov, Ovation, so making do with what is cruising. Wonder if lettuce will be added charge 🤔? And i was fooled into those big plates of calamari i saw 👀 🤣

2 minutes ago, CDaze71 said:

I did see this on the deck plans but I thought it had a cost. 

If this is complimentary daughter will be very happy. 

Good chance it's complementary, it shows soft serve machines 🍦😋

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CDaze71 said:

I did see this on the deck plans but I thought it had a cost. 

If this is complimentary daughter will be very happy. 

Good use of words...'complimentary'.  I giggle when people say this is free, that is free on a ship, nothing is free is on a cruise ship whether it is ice cream, burgers, elite laundry, elite mini bar, don't worry you have paid for all those things somewhere along the line.

'Complimentary',  or 'no additional charge' is the vernacular, lol.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hogbay said:

I'm not on till 16 Nov, Ovation, so making do with what is cruising. Wonder if lettuce will be added charge 🤔? And i was fooled into those big plates of calamari i saw 👀 🤣

When you think about what is free on Ovation,it’s pretty good .

32 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

When you think about what is free on Ovation,it’s pretty good .

You mean 'complimentary Chilli, lol.  Have you recovered from your cruise yet?

1 minute ago, Chiliburn said:

Yes coming back down to earth uncle Les.

It was a different experience, after being land locked for 2 years.

Mate, you will be lining up at your TA next week booking another one, for you are now a fair dinkum Penninsular and Orient Line Straya  'Cruiseling.'

Just now, NSWP said:

Mate, you will be lining up at your TA next week booking another one, for you are now a fair dinkum Penninsular and Orient Line Straya  'Cruiseling.'

I have cruise offers coming left ,right  and centre but I’m laying low for another year. Just a couple of domestic cruises.

We are going to lash out next year when hopefully all the red tape goes away.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bazzaw said:

Looks like the myth or overstated statement that P&O charge for "everything" has been adequately deconstructed here. 

They do charge for stuff, but there is always a fare inclusive alternative. Other cruise lines charge for stuff too, just structure it differently. Some will say they get 4 free drinks a day on Royal, so that is great. You had to pay for your first 80 nights aboard first, so it isn't free.

I think some of the issue is the lack of a loyalty program on P&O. Once well cruised on the others, your little bonus freebies like mini-bar, drink vouchers, laundry, front of queue start to kick in, so it seems P&O is missing something when you jump ship.

All of the cruise lines are part of big corporate entities, and are looking to turn a profit via a combination of fares and onboard spending. In that, nothing is free.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NSWP said:

Good use of words...'complimentary'.  I giggle when people say this is free, that is free on a ship, nothing is free is on a cruise ship whether it is ice cream, burgers, elite laundry, elite mini bar, don't worry you have paid for all those things somewhere along the line.

'Complimentary',  or 'no additional charge' is the vernacular, lol.

I tend to use the term “included”. 

15 hours ago, bazzaw said:

5 hours ago, arxcards said:

They do charge for stuff, but there is always a fare inclusive alternative. Other cruise lines charge for stuff too, just structure it differently. Some will say they get 4 free drinks a day on Royal, so that is great. You had to pay for your first 80 nights aboard first, so it isn't free.

I think some of the issue is the lack of a loyalty program on P&O. Once well cruised on the others, your little bonus freebies like mini-bar, drink vouchers, laundry, front of queue start to kick in, so it seems P&O is missing something when you jump ship.

All of the cruise lines are part of big corporate entities, and are looking to turn a profit via a combination of fares and onboard spending. In that, nothing is free.

This year we have 5 cruises booked! 😱

We’re on the Coral Princess in 2 weeks. 
Home for about 8 weeks before we cruise on HAL Eurodam, Carnival Splendor, and P&O Pacific Encounter (B2B) in quick succession. 
I think we’ll be well placed to compare the different lines and know what suits us best and offers the best value for money for us. YMMV 😁

38 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

Home for about 8 weeks before we cruise on HAL Eurodam, Carnival Splendor, and P&O Pacific Encounter (B2B) in quick succession. 
I think we’ll be well placed to compare the different lines and know what suits us best and offers the best value for money for us. YMMV 😁

Dora v's Coral ,the drink and internet packages comparison please. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

Yep, it is all about what suits your personal tastes, and that is the best way to find out. We have cruised on all of the contemporary lines except the Italian ones and Disney - but now need to add Virgin to the list I guess. At present, none of those interest us. We are booked for Coral, Majestic, Splendor & Celebrity Edge all of which are new ships to us, and we are looking to add another Coral and a Royal Princess to the list soon. Cruising is like ice cream. We all have our favourite flavours, but in the end, it is all ice cream. 

Given an identical itinerary, P&O is well down our list, and the lack of a loyalty program makes it harder to be loyal. What they offer for us is different itineraries, with some rather unique ones along the way, and our onboard spend has been comparable with the other lines.

What Princess & Celebrity are currently doing with packages changes that a bit for us, and some of these Princess fares including drink packages are awesome, but not as great a deal to a non-drinker.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, arxcards said:

Yep, it is all about what suits your personal tastes, and that is the best way to find out. We have cruised on all of the contemporary lines except the Italian ones and Disney - but now need to add Virgin to the list I guess. At present, none of those interest us. We are booked for Coral, Majestic, Splendor & Celebrity Edge all of which are new ships to us, and we are looking to add another Coral and a Royal Princess to the list soon. Cruising is like ice cream. We all have our favourite flavours, but in the end, it is all ice cream. 

Given an identical itinerary, P&O is well down our list, and the lack of a loyalty program makes it harder to be loyal. What they offer for us is different itineraries, with some rather unique ones along the way, and our onboard spend has been comparable with the other lines.

What Princess & Celebrity are currently doing with packages changes that a bit for us, and some of these Princess fares including drink packages are awesome, but not as great a deal to a non-drinker.

We started out loyal to Royal with 11 of our first 12 cruises being on RCI. We enjoyed our one Celebrity cruise but decided that RCI was a better fit for us at that time. 

With some fear and trembling we jumped ship and dipped our toe in the water with Carnival. The sky didn’t fall and pre shut down we also cruised with Princess and P&O. 

Of all the lines we cruised, P&O would be my least favourite but they weren’t absolutely terrible. We've booked with them this year but that’s because DW is keen to go to PNG. I’m not convinced that the itinerary mightn’t be changed given the current travel advice and COVID situation there but we'll wait and see. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

This thread is about P&O extras 

We had about 20 friends on the last cruise and 4 have tested positive.

Not good news, so many more no doubt. I would have thought the media would have been onto this.

52 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Oh dear, that's not good, Chili. I hope they have very mild cases and get well quickly.

49 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Not good news, so many more no doubt. I would have thought the media would have been onto this.

Just runny nose and sore throat. one person in my cabin got a PCR test because they want to see the 89 year old mother and positive.

They called a couple of others and they did a RAT. 3 others positive.
We where told the cruise was code yellow and the health department was carefully looking at us as we got off.

So that was a 4 night cruise,I wonder how a longer cruise like a transpacific would go .

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Cruiselines are spending up big on media advertising and freebies, so no real surprise on the media position at this time.

If the tide was to turn, the media would quickly adjust their position.