Land trip to Cancun/Isla Mujeres

mitsugirly

Since the pandemic, we've been taking land vacations and since Cancun has always been on my bucket list (and our airline flies there) we are considering this. 

However, I discovered the little island of Isla Mujeres and think I might stay there instead.

Anyone been (and stayed) at Isla? What are your recommendations of things to do? I've found that it is whale shark season, diving MUSA with the water sculptures, of course the beaches, Garrafon, Playa Norte, Punta Sur. We plan on renting a golf cart.

Would like suggestions on transportation (to/from airport to ferry) or even golf cart rental if anyone recommends a particular company.

We would LOVE to go to Xcaret but know it's a pretty far drive from Cancun so not sure how to go about that and open to suggestions. 

Hi Kim! Obviously this forum is very quiet since it’s no longer a cruise port…But you are probably looking at the TripAdvisor IM forum too…I googled IM on Facebook and see several groups there that are pretty active. 

We always recommend Canada Transfers to friends, and Reliable Cancun transfers is a favorite of friends. There are a few ferry options, the furthest from CUN is Puerto Juarez but I would recommend that because of the regular service. Ultramar is our choice…

Enjoy your trip!

21 hours ago, blue_water said:

Hi Kim! Obviously this forum is very quiet since it’s no longer a cruise port…But you are probably looking at the TripAdvisor IM forum too…I googled IM on Facebook and see several groups there that are pretty active. 

We always recommend Canada Transfers to friends, and Reliable Cancun transfers is a favorite of friends. There are a few ferry options, the furthest from CUN is Puerto Juarez but I would recommend that because of the regular service. Ultramar is our choice…

Enjoy your trip!

Thanks Blue!

I checked out Canadian Transfers and got an idea on price. I tried Reliable Cancun but their drop down list doesn't show an option from airport to the ferry so I'm not sure what's going on there. I assume you meant that you would NOT take the furthest from CUN ferry? Is Ultramar the easiest and closest?

Do you have any suggestions on things to do there?

I didn’t mention CanaDian but that is a favorite of friends here…USA is also popular. The fares should be similar..

Yes we would use the Ultramar ferry at Puerto Juarez. It is the furthest port but the most active and reliable. You can compare the timetables between PJ, Playa Tortugas, and Playa Caracol here. One of the others may work for you too since you are staying on the island and don’t need that active a schedule…
https://www.ultramarferry.com/en/routes-and-departures

I don’t have any other suggestions, I think you covered everything we know…We have a favorite bar across Playa Norte, Jax. 
Enjoy!

On 6/12/2022 at 10:39 AM, blue_water said:

I didn’t mention CanaDian but that is a favorite of friends here…USA is also popular. The fares should be similar..

Yes we would use the Ultramar ferry at Puerto Juarez. It is the furthest port but the most active and reliable. You can compare the timetables between PJ, Playa Tortugas, and Playa Caracol here. One of the others may work for you too since you are staying on the island and don’t need that active a schedule…
https://www.ultramarferry.com/en/routes-and-departures

I don’t have any other suggestions, I think you covered everything we know…We have a favorite bar across Playa Norte, Jax. 
Enjoy!

Oh whoops. I just typed in Canada and that was the first one that popped up. hehe

• Haha 1