Daily testing is over

Poulsbo Cruisers

2 hours ago, DGHOC said:

Those 'sweet' people were just rather bored of the constant and repetitive caterwauling and C denying.

Denial of ether the presence of or the infectiousness of covid could possibly be linked to a percentage of those who diidn't like the testing on Viking, but surely that group of people would be just that - a certain % - likely a small one at that.

DW and I found the testing to be an inconvenience, a bit frustrating in how long it took, and quite simply a bit of a worry, but yet we do not fit into the category of C denial. Quite the contrary, we wore masks on the ship during the invitational cruise basically all the time, as well as ashore most of the time. In doing so, we were in the vast minority on both counts.

Sorry if I'm in some way misinterpreting your post. Agreed on hopefully less adversarial conversation here on CC however. 

Edited by AnyWayIsGood
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SailorPaulH said:

The updated "Important Pre-Departure Information - Travel Requirements' document that is supposed to happen today is sure going to look a LOT simpler!

We’re still waiting.  Our MVJ still has the “old” April 1st “Pre Embarkation Requirement’s” listed.  We leave two weeks from today.  

• Like 2

On 6/12/2022 at 9:51 AM, kcpvwill said:

Thanks to poulsbo-cruisers for the heads up.

We have been able to cancel our already booked PCR tests with a full refund in 14 days. 24 hour notification was needed so 14th June would have been too late for our cruise.  

Having booked for 2020, then 2021 now 2022 looks as if it is happening at last.  

US CDC and EU cruise protocols still require a negative COVID test prior to embarkation.  This is separate from cruise line requirement.

On 6/12/2022 at 11:13 AM, karl_nj said:

Very interesting that Viking Ocean went from one of the most conservative in regard to testing (with daily onboard PCR testing), to not even requiring a test to board the ship (except in in the US/Canada, assuming due to the CDC.)  Are they the first cruise line to not require a test before boarding the ship?

EU cruise protocol still requires a pre-cruise negative COVID test prior to embarkation on a cruise departing from EU European port.  This is separate from cruise line testing requirement.

14 minutes ago, Kamfish642 said:

US CDC and EU cruise protocols still require a negative COVID test prior to embarkation.  This is separate from cruise line requirement.

I knew that a pre cruise Covid test was required by the CDC to depart from a US port but did not know if one was required to depart from an EU port.  Wonder how many other countries require one to embark on a cruise ship.  I actually don't mind this rule.  At least I will know we are starting out on a Covid free ship.

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

I knew that a pre cruise Covid test was required by the CDC to depart from a US port but did not know if one was required to depart from an EU port.  Wonder how many other countries require one to embark on a cruise ship.  I actually don't mind this rule.  At least I will know we are starting out on a Covid free ship.

Make that a “mostly” Covid-free ship, as some may contract it on the way to the ship and quick tests to get on board will not pick up those recently contracted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, duquephart said:

Only applies to unvacinated types?

I spoke to a HAL representative, since we are on a HAL cruise in July, and he indicated that EU cruise protocol also applies to vaccinated passengers.  Need a negative COVID test within 3 days of embarkation.  Not a cruise line requirement.

2 hours ago, AnyWayIsGood said:

So will Viking still require (for a cruise leaving out of EU ports) a covid test 24 hours before the international flight? Or just a test at embarkation? 

We found that Viking was good informing us for our last cruises exactly what was required.  They sent the Pre Cruise Requirements several times.

15 hours ago, janetcbl said:

Delighted about the news of no testing, BUT we have decided to wear a mask while on the ship and on buses. We are of “an advanced age” and for us, just think it is prudent. We will evaluate as the 28 day cruise continues. Everyone should  make his/her own decision and RESPECT the decisions made by fellow passengers.

Well said we feel the same.....

16 hours ago, AnyWayIsGood said:

Denial of ether the presence of or the infectiousness of covid could possibly be linked to a percentage of those who diidn't like the testing on Viking, but surely that group of people would be just that - a certain % - likely a small one at that.

DW and I found the testing to be an inconvenience, a bit frustrating in how long it took, and quite simply a bit of a worry, but yet we do not fit into the category of C denial. Quite the contrary, we wore masks on the ship during the invitational cruise basically all the time, as well as ashore most of the time. In doing so, we were in the vast minority on both counts.

Sorry if I'm in some way misinterpreting your post. Agreed on hopefully less adversarial conversation here on CC however. 

I feel that you have misinterpreted my post AWisG but on CC it's not possible to direct my comment at a particular member without being excommunicated, thus the possible misinterpretation.

I feel sure, thankfully, that it is a small minority but the continual assault of snidey comments; 'C is no worse than flu, just a bunch of sniffles, masks are useless don't need to wear them, spitting in a tube is disgusting' and the implication that vaccinations are useless too, repeatedly regurgitated, was trying to say the very least, aside from the constant interruption to so many threads with this verbal diarrhoea. It was also frequently implied, with disparaging remarks, that folk who were concerned and happy to travel with the testing regime were ridiculous.

I was aware that you and your wife were masked on the ship, on excursions and on the pre extension, I saw you frequently, and I was also aware of your hesitation at travelling internationally so soon. My comment was not directed at you.

I was hoping that now that Viking had changed their testing rules that the snidey remarks might cease, but sadly no, it continues. It would be delightful if this particular member would give us all a break and allow us to return to the harmonious exchanges we usually experience here.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Kamfish642 said:

I spoke to a HAL representative, since we are on a HAL cruise in July, and he indicated that EU cruise protocol also applies to vaccinated passengers.  Need a negative COVID test within 3 days of embarkation.  Not a cruise line requirement.

NOT TRUE! Please refer to the US State Department and to the individual country embassy websites for up to date info, not to a cruise rep or travel agent. While requirements can change, if you are fully vaccinated by EU standards OR have documentation of recent recovery, you do not need a Covid test to enter.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DGHOC said:

I saw you frequently, and I was also aware of your hesitation at travelling internationally so soon. My comment was not directed at you.

Deb, my apologies! (I think I have the right name?!)  Wish we had gotten to meet somewhere along the way!  Apparently you know who my wife and I are, but you have me at a disadvantage of not having recognized you, though we surely must have crossed paths. Definitely would have likely seen each other at the winery dinner and perhaps that last (extension) lunch in Orvieta. I felt pretty crappy during most of that unfortunately. I was most sorry to hear that you (both?) had gotten covid following the trip and hope all is well by now.

You are correct in that we were indeed quite hesitant and dithered at length as to going on the Chairman's cruise or not. The invitation allowed for little time to make some scheduling adjustments - for many of us no doubt - and I regret having prattled on at length about some of that as well as rehashing the Sky episode so many times in the months leading up to the cruise. I think some comments back then may indeed have been directed at me!  I do get a bit 'carried away' at times.

We are so thankful we decided to go. It was truly an amazing trip, especially for us having never been anywhere in the Mediterranean. Being a tad prone to motion sickness at times, I found the sailing, except for that one night, to be amazingly smooth. I typically wear sea (wrist) bands while on any cruise but didn't need them at all except for that one kind of rocky evening. 

1 hour ago, keokukjoe said:

you do not need a Covid test to enter.

I was wondering about this also being that I just chatted with a Viking agent last night and she said that there is no need for a test before, during, or after the cruises - at least at the present time. Change is the only constant, so see where it all goes!  

Edited by AnyWayIsGood
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Melbourne Boys said:

BUT we have decided to wear a mask while on the ship and on buses. We are of “an advanced age” and for us, just think it is prudent.

Agreed. We'll probably still mask as well the majority of the time, although have to say we're really tired of it at this point. NOT easy to be traipsing around on excursions in the hotter weather while wearing a mask - especially during a lengthy walking tour. Found it interesting how, on some of the busses we used during the Chairman's Cruise, masks were handed out and all were told to wear those regardless of what people had with them. 

Edited by AnyWayIsGood

1 hour ago, keokukjoe said:

NOT TRUE! Please refer to the US State Department and to the individual country embassy websites for up to date info, not to a cruise rep or travel agent. While requirements can change, if you are fully vaccinated by EU standards OR have documentation of recent recovery, you do not need a Covid test to enter.

Agree, checked Spain Travel site--link from V pre-cruise embark PDF (4/28/22).  Did not see testing requirement to enter, just must be vaxed, and  boosted if vax was more than 270 days prior.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, keokukjoe said:

This only applies to entry requirements for specific counties, not EU European cruise protocol.  However, not sure whether this protocol applies to just ocean cruises.  Since cruise line controls requirements for boarding their vessel, I would not simply blow off cruise line representative or you may have to pay for expensive pier-side COVID test, if offered.

Edited by Kamfish642
Additional text added.

13 minutes ago, Kamfish642 said:

This only applies to entry requirements for specific counties, not EU European cruise protocol.  However, not sure whether this protocol applies to just ocean cruises.  Since cruise line controls requirements for boarding their vessel, I would not simply blow off cruise line representative or you may have to pay for expensive pier-side COVID test, if offered.

I still trust the US State Department and individual countries embassy info way over your source. Maybe HAL is requiring testing before embarkation but Viking is not. I advise that you check the sources I mentioned and look at the countries where you will be embarking and visiting.

Just checked with HAL. IT IS A HAL REQUIREMENT, NOT A COUNTRY SPECIFIC REQUIREMENT. Maybe they will update it as Viking did.

Edited by keokukjoe

5 minutes ago, keokukjoe said:

I still trust the US State Department and individual countries embassy info way over your source. Maybe HAL is requiring testing before embarkation but Viking is not. I advise that you check the sources I mentioned and look at the countries where you will be embarking and visiting.

Just checked with HAL. IT IS A HAL REQUIREMENT, NOT A COUNTRY SPECIFIC REQUIREMENT. Maybe they will update it as Viking did.

EU requirement, like CDC in US for cruise lines (at least ocean).

2 minutes ago, Kamfish642 said:

Look up on internet.  Your cruise line should also have a link to European cruise protocol.

I did. Nothing to confirm what you are saying. So you can't post a link to the relevant source ---- because it doesn't exist???

This is a VIKING board, not HAL. Perhaps you are on the wrong board?? Viking has posted the  new protocol. NO pre-embarkation testing required for EU countires.

Edited by keokukjoe
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, keokukjoe said:

I did. Nothing to confirm what you are saying. So you can't post a link to the relevant source ---- because it doesn't exist???

Stop your arguing.  Simply do your own research if you don't believe me and take the risk.  done responding.