Live - Sky Princess - Norway Fjords - 11 June - 14 nights

Airwavey

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

Airwavey was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Hello all

My wife - Pip - and I are on our first ever cruise (though we are somewhat 'experienced' travellers since retirement 5/6 years ago, travelling, pre-covid, for up to 6 months total per year. And as a point of reference too we haven't put a bag into a plane hold all that time either, travelling with one 40 litre and one 30 litre rucksack with max weight of 10 kgs, so packing for this with proper luggage was an experience in itself) 

We are refugees from the June 2020 cancelled equivalent so have been waiting for this 'first' cruise for a long time. 

Two advantages of this change though.

1-new boat. If I recall the 2020 was due to be on the Crown Princess 

2-we used the +25% uplift (plus a little more) to go from inside cabin to a balcony cabin. 

I won't take time to discuss any pre-cruise issues in any detail eg the fun and games of the Medallion 🤔 but focus on actualities of the cruise. However, given some of the issues raised in various forums I did take the time to book us a MDR table for two for each night of the cruise - different restaurant /different times each night - even though I know we won't MDR every night. Have booked two speciality dining - Crown Grill and Sabatinis - amongst those bookings too. 

We are travelling from mid-Devon so we overnighted in Southampton Travelodge, conveniently, we though, just 5 miles/10 mins from the port. And parking booked for `at port' with CPS at a rip off £162 for the 2 weeks!!! 

This morning, being timex for a 11/11.30 arrival we set off at around 10 am. 

2 hours! Yes, TWO HOURS, to do that 5 miles. The CPS guy checked his watch and said "good afternoon" to us. The number of lanes at various distances of from the final port side road were horrendous, and given the direction we were coming from we were at the back of the "traffic zipping" queue. 

Once at ship side though things were very smooth. 

Car check in took just a few minutes. 

Bag drop off was just next to car hand over, and although the first staff person misdirected us another staff guy at the wrong drop off immediately took our wheelie suitcases (25 kg each 🤨🤨) from us and wheeled them to the correct area. 

The queue in the departure hall looked horrible but it moved very quickly. First stations was check-in /documents check and there were around 30 stations for this. Having quickly established who we were all that was checked was passport, vaccine certs, test certs. Nothing else eg no insurance check. Medallion collection next then on to airport style x-ray security check. 

Onto boat and straight up to cabin on the Sun Deck, level 17.

Approx time from car stopped for parking to cabin around 40 mins with minimal stand-still time. 

Cabin, next to the hidden pool, is as expected. Roomy enough, plenty of storage space. We did some minimal unpacking from our day bags (rucksacks) and headed off for some victuals and an explore. 

World Fresh Market Place being just one level below us suited us fine for a salad + pudding lunch. Though there was some very enticing full meals on offer eg roast beef on the bone, pork tenderloin, Chinese, etc. 

By the time we went back to our cabin, about 90 mins, or luggage was in the cabin. 

The sail away party at the main pools/movie screen was, for us, a somewhat over-raucous affair, to be passed through for the more sedate wake pool group. 

After sail away and some more exploring we have to say it doesn't feel over full. Each area we have been in, with one exception, has had space/seats, indoors and outside. 

We went for our Soleil 7pm booking and were straight in. 

Meal was really nice. Just the puds disappointed - lemon pie bland, hazelnut soufflé stodgy and heavy. 

We retired to Take 5 Jazz for another drink and then split around 9.45 me to the comedian /ventriloquist, Pip to cabin (act not to her liking). 

Show time - will continue shortly 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Airwavey said:

Hello all

My wife - Pip - and I are on our first ever cruise (though we are somewhat 'experienced' travellers since retirement 5/6 years ago, travelling, pre-covid, for up to 6 months total per year. And as a point of reference too we haven't put a bag into a plane hold all that time either, travelling with one 40 litre and one 30 litre rucksack with max weight of 10 kgs, so packing for this with proper luggage was an experience in itself) 

We are refugees from the June 2020 cancelled equivalent so have been waiting for this 'first' cruise for a long time. 

Two advantages of this change though.

1-new boat. If I recall the 2020 was due to be on the Crown Princess 

2-we used the +25% uplift (plus a little more) to go from inside cabin to a balcony cabin. 

I won't take time to discuss any pre-cruise issues in any detail eg the fun and games of the Medallion 🤔 but focus on actualities of the cruise. However, given some of the issues raised in various forums I did take the time to book us a MDR table for two for each night of the cruise - different restaurant /different times each night - even though I know we won't MDR every night. Have booked two speciality dining - Crown Grill and Sabatinis - amongst those bookings too. 

We are travelling from mid-Devon so we overnighted in Southampton Travelodge, conveniently, we though, just 5 miles/10 mins from the port. And parking booked for `at port' with CPS at a rip off £162 for the 2 weeks!!! 

This morning, being timex for a 11/11.30 arrival we set off at around 10 am. 

2 hours! Yes, TWO HOURS, to do that 5 miles. The CPS guy checked his watch and said "good afternoon" to us. The number of lanes at various distances of from the final port side road were horrendous, and given the direction we were coming from we were at the back of the "traffic zipping" queue. 

Once at ship side though things were very smooth. 

Car check in took just a few minutes. 

Bag drop off was just next to car hand over, and although the first staff person misdirected us another staff guy at the wrong drop off immediately took our wheelie suitcases (25 kg each 🤨🤨) from us and wheeled them to the correct area. 

The queue in the departure hall looked horrible but it moved very quickly. First stations was check-in /documents check and there were around 30 stations for this. Having quickly established who we were all that was checked was passport, vaccine certs, test certs. Nothing else eg no insurance check. Medallion collection next then on to airport style x-ray security check. 

Onto boat and straight up to cabin on the Sun Deck, level 17.

Approx time from car stopped for parking to cabin around 40 mins with minimal stand-still time. 

Cabin, next to the hidden pool, is as expected. Roomy enough, plenty of storage space. We did some minimal unpacking from our day bags (rucksacks) and headed off for some victuals and an explore. 

World Fresh Market Place being just one level below us suited us fine for a salad + pudding lunch. Though there was some very enticing full meals on offer eg roast beef on the bone, pork tenderloin, Chinese, etc. 

By the time we went back to our cabin, about 90 mins, or luggage was in the cabin. 

The sail away party at the main pools/movie screen was, for us, a somewhat over-raucous affair, to be passed through for the more sedate wake pool group. 

After sail away and some more exploring we have to say it doesn't feel over full. Each area we have been in, with one exception, has had space/seats, indoors and outside. 

We went for our Soleil 7pm booking and were straight in. 

Meal was really nice. Just the puds disappointed - lemon pie bland, hazelnut soufflé stodgy and heavy. 

We retired to Take 5 Jazz for another drink and then split around 9.45 me to the comedian /ventriloquist, Pip to cabin (act not to her liking). 

Show time - will continue shortly 

Quick question. Will be boarding for trans Atlantic end of October. I have mobility issues and would never be able to stand in line that long. Did you by any chance see any wheelchairs along your way. I h r notified Princess I need a wheelchair for embarcation, bud i know how hectic can be. Thanks

Norma

Thank you for doing the live from, I disembarked yesterday and WiFi did not work for me for the cruise, I’m really hoping you have better luck and we can sail along with you.  I spotted a couple of questions further up, hoping you don’t mind if I answer them. 

• Like 1

Yes, there are porters with wheelchairs to assist at embarkation, if you have notified Princess you need this service you should not have a problem, there is a waiting area, with seats just inside the terminal for those requiring the service. 

7 hours ago, Retirement2016 said:

We are on the next cruise, so we will be following your adventure.  Did the captain state the number of passengers on board?

Not on board, but was last week, and was told by a member of staff that for this cruise they were expecting 600 less passengers which makes it about 2600. 

Hi all

Thanks for the reactions so far and to the answers already given

I cut off short last night because the show started and then didn't get around to finishing off. So... 

I said that there felt like plenty of room with 1 exception. That was the first, 8.15 show. I looked in on that and it looked full. No problem as I wanted the 10.15 which turned out to be only 3/4 full. 

Getting back to timeline. We were in Soleil last night, at our 7pm booking. Straight in and to table. Reasonable/acceptable table spacing, and I also remarked that the table was quite large. We've had plenty smaller in michelin restaurants. Another point - as we were entering at around 6.55 there was a trickle of unbooked others and they were accommodated, though they may have had to share table. 

Food was really nice. We'd have been, mostly, happy to pay for it. Puddings a bit of a let down. 

After dinner we retired to 5 Live mostly just to to escape. Quite empty at around 8.45,took in a video call to our son. Internet link, paid for, ~£100, is flaky to say the least. 

I wanted to see the comedian, Pip retired to the cabin. 

Comedian was acceptable. To answer question from earlier host said we were around 3100 on this cruise - 2400 brits, 450 yanks,... 

Felt busier in World Market food for breakfast this morning but able to get a table. But a hint - you may want to get a table then separately each go up for your breakfast. Saves looking for table with food in hand. 

Plenty of choice for breakfast. Pip impressed that they even had decent fried bread!! I was impressed that I could get cream, brown sugar and cinnamon for my porridge.... and black pudding 👌👌

Plenty of vegan and vegetarian options for those inclined

One disappointment to report. On boarding initial info told us they have had a generator problem so top speed is reduced. As a result the first stop, Haugesund, is now timed for 1pm arrival rather than 8am. This is subject to revision so may get change again. Pretty sure that they said it shouldn't affect timings later in the cruise.

Just a further observation or two. 

No robes in cabin. We ordered via the app whilst in 5 Live. In cabin waiting for us when we went back. 

Medallion app lost all my info or so it seemed. Went to Internet Cafe and sorted in minutes.

Just needed to relog in using cabin number 

Before coming Pip was very iffy about paying the "fixed" crew appreciation, around £280 total for us, and was determined to go and cancel out of it. 20 hours in and she now had changed. Crew is so friendly and helpful and she feels it would be churlish

Just chilling today on this at sea day. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Pink-belle said:

Yes, there are porters with wheelchairs to assist at embarkation, if you have notified Princess you need this service you should not have a problem, there is a waiting area, with seats just inside the terminal for those requiring the service. 

Yes,  at the Mayflower terminal there was an area just inside the doors for assisted embarkation which bypasses all the long lines.  They will check you in there and you have direct access to the Security entrance.  My brother has mobility issues (but no wheelchair) and so we used this last week without prior notification. Looks like there is a different terminal for the Transatlantic but would assume the same principle applies.

Edited by dides

2 hours ago, Airwavey said:

One disappointment to report. On boarding initial info told us they have had a generator problem so top speed is reduced. As a result the first stop, Haugesund, is now timed for 1pm arrival rather than 8am. This is subject to revision so may get change again. Pretty sure that they said it shouldn't affect timings later in the cruise.

Ouch - that delay will impact some folk's excursions then!  There was a first aid call and incident in the engine room around midday when we arrived in Bergen last week and this resulted in Sky being one generator down. It changed the timings slightly for two of our later ports. 

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

As a matter of interest, did you consider buying the Princess Plus package for the cruise? 

Hi

Would have cost us £1120

Crew appreciation is ~£280

Wifi, 2 devices, is worth around £210, though we have only paid for 1 device at around £105. We don't need to be both logged on at the same time

So those two total £385 for us

Which, therefore, would mean for us £735 more than we "need" to pay just to access unlimited (though it's not unlimited as it's a max 15 drinks per day) drink. A heavy drinking day for us would be to have 3 alcoholic drinks, which we did on departure day, but 1 or 2 on not every day is sufficient for us. 

So, we concluded it wasn't enough value for us by a long way. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Airwavey said:

Hi

Would have cost us £1120

Crew appreciation is ~£280

Wifi, 2 devices, is worth around £210, though we have only paid for 1 device at around £105. We don't need to be both logged on at the same time

So those two total £385 for us

Which, therefore, would mean for us £735 more than we "need" to pay just to access unlimited (though it's not unlimited as it's a max 15 drinks per day) drink. A heavy drinking day for us would be to have 3 alcoholic drinks, which we did on departure day, but 1 or 2 on not every day is sufficient for us. 

So, we concluded it wasn't enough value for us by a long way. 

Until this month PP was £30 pppd, or £840. 

The difference  from £385 is therefore £455, or £16 pppd. Two glasses of wine per day, and you are in "profit", and that is before taking bottles of water, speciality coffee, mocktails etc into account.

However, it obviously depends on your level of drink consumption.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Airwavey said:

Before coming Pip was very iffy about paying the "fixed" crew appreciation, around £280 total for us, and was determined to go and cancel out of it. 20 hours in and she now had changed. Crew is so friendly and helpful and she feels it would be churlish

Just chilling today on this at sea day. 

I am enjoying your report. Please know that in reference to the "Crew Appreciation" charge, that if a guest removes this charge/ gratuity from their bill, that any cash tips that may be offered to individuals,  will need to be turned in to the staff pool and that individual crew member will not be permitted to keep what they were offered by the guest.

We have never removed this charge and always personally reward outstanding crew members on our own, bringing some cash with us; typically our cabin steward, room service, and an outstanding bartender, etc.

In reference to what was posted by @wowzz, we have also done the math and the Princess Plus is well worth it. (sorry, in USA dollars here):

Morning Caramel Latte-  $5.00 (incl. tip)

Afternoon Ice Tea-  $3.00

Two glasses of wine- $28.00 (includes tip)

Staff Gratuity- $15.00

WiFi- $10.00 ??? not sure on the charge

$61.00

As you can see, that exceeds the $40.00 daily charge for the "Princess Plus"

15 hours ago, nini said:

I am looking forward to your report. We have booked the Sky for Norway and Iceland for June 2023.

LOL! I guess ours is also for 14 nights. I look forward to your port reports and shore excursion experiences.

4 hours ago, nini said:

I am enjoying your report. Please know that in reference to the "Crew Appreciation" charge, that if a guest removes this charge/ gratuity from their bill, that any cash tips that may be offered to individuals,  will need to be turned in to the staff pool and that individual crew member will not be permitted to keep what they were offered by the guest.

We have never removed this charge and always personally reward outstanding crew members on our own, bringing some cash with us; typically our cabin steward, room service, and an outstanding bartender, etc.

In reference to what was posted by @wowzz, we have also done the math and the Princess Plus is well worth it. (sorry, in USA dollars here):

Morning Caramel Latte-  $5.00 (incl. tip)

Afternoon Ice Tea-  $3.00

Two glasses of wine- $28.00 (includes tip)

Staff Gratuity- $15.00

WiFi- $10.00 ??? not sure on the charge

$61.00

As you can see, that exceeds the $40.00 daily charge for the "Princess Plus"

Just to add, for us Brits,  the current fx rate makes PP even more appealing.

A glass of wine in Vines  now costs the equivalent of £10. So, even at the new PP rate of £40 pppd,  unless you are a total non drinker, non coffee drinker, non mocktail drinker,  the PP deal is a no brainer ! 

We would normally have a couple of pre-dinner drinks,  a couple of glasses of wine with dinner,  and then a nightcap or two.  Plus of course beers at sail away, plus coffee in the IC. I hate to think what our bar bill would have  been  without PP ! 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Just to add, for us Brits,  the current fx rate makes PP even more appealing.

A glass of wine in Vines  now costs the equivalent of £10. So, even at the new PP rate of £40 pppd,  unless you are a total non drinker, non coffee drinker, non mocktail drinker,  the PP deal is a no brainer ! 

We would normally have a couple of pre-dinner drinks,  a couple of glasses of wine with dinner,  and then a nightcap or two.  Plus of course beers at sail away, plus coffee in the IC. I hate to think what our bar bill would have  been  without PP ! 

Exactly! I think when most look at the Princess Plus, the ONLY thing on their mind is, "I really do not drink" or "I really do not drink much".

When you sit down and really analyze each factor (not just "drinks, i.e. alcoholic beverages), then it makes sense.

We are not on this cruise but our friends are and we will be onboard with them in October for the canaries cruise .Can’t wait and really enjoying your daily posts ,I can feel the excitement building already .