Help with Galveston, please

PSU_Redhead

Hi all -

I’ve searched, but haven’t found exactly what I’m looking for. I’m traveling with my two sons, 9 & 10. We plan to spend two nights pre-cruise IN Galveston (many people keep suggesting that I check areas 30+ minutes outside of Galveston). We won’t have a car, so we’d like to be relatively close to some fun things for the family (even if you don’t have suggestions for specific places to stay, I’d love suggestions on the general area to stay in so that my boys and I can walk to the fun or take a short Uber ride to the fun!). I’m looking for something that’s a good bargain. And by bargain, I don’t necessarily mean “cheap.” I mean a decent place at a fair price. We won’t spend much time at the hotel, so I just need for it to be safe with comfortable beds 🙂 I don’t need luxury!

I’m open to hotels or AirBnBs. Thank you in advance for any suggestions you may have to offer!

Hi there I too am researching hotels etc for Galveston. I have found a few decent places to stay online with decent reviews. If you find any info or get some suggestions I'd like to know also. I'm cruising on the carnival vista in Aug. Hope u find some good answers 

3 hours ago, Jingerwoppy said:

Try Kemah just outside of Galveston. They have the Kemah Boardwalk and you can stay at the inn there. Uber to the ship on cruise morning. 

https://www.kemahboardwalk.com/

There's a lot more to do in Galveston than there is at Kemah. Of course, Tilman Fertitta makes the money whether you're spending it for the overpriced Kemah Boardwalk or the overpriced Galveston Pleasure Pier.😜😏😵

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jkmarlin24 said:

Hi there I too am researching hotels etc for Galveston. I have found a few decent places to stay online with decent reviews. If you find any info or get some suggestions I'd like to know also. I'm cruising on the carnival vista in Aug. Hope u find some good answers 

I actually found a lot of great options on VRBO and just booked something there. It's a condo on the beach and has several restaurants within walking distance. It will be an uber ride to get to the Pleasure pier, which my kids definitely want to hit up - but it's only about a 2 mile distance. The place has a pool and hot tub and bunk beds for my boys. And it was less than $500 total for 2 nights (a Friday and Saturday night, to boot!). I definitely suggest looking on VRBO - lots of affordable condo and beach house rentals available. All with good reviews, too! 🙂

My response doesn’t answer your question directly but Galveston does have pleasure pier, Bryan museum, railroad museum, beach,  Moody Gardens, beach etc. There is a trolley that runs around the Island. Moody Gardens hotel would be in the upper price range but would give your family lots of options. The Strand downtown has some nice restaurants for all ages as does the Seawall. Either Kemal or staying on the island would be enjoyable.

• Like 4

What time of year are you going because that will make a huge difference in pricing.  The summer months are prime season for Galveston and the hotel prices will reflect that.  You are going to be paying over $300 a night for something like the Red Roof Inn.  

For areas to stay, there are two that work best for you with kids that age, either Moody Gardens area or on the seawall near the Pleasure Pier.  Moody Gardens has a bunch of different options on site including an aquarium and a water park.  They have their own hotel but can be expensive during peak time.  There is also Schlitterbahn which is a fun water park.  The Pleasure Pier is an entertainment pier owned by Landry's.  The rides are fun and there are a bunch of restaurants around it.  You also have the beach along the seawall.  I would say to try to get a room at the Grand Galvez.  Its usually price pretty close to the hotel/motels in the area but much nicer.  

On 6/12/2022 at 7:00 PM, Texas Tillie said:

There's a lot more to do in Galveston than there is at Kemah. Of course, Tilman Fertitta makes the money whether you're spending it for the overpriced Kemah Boardwalk or the overpriced Galveston Pleasure Pier.😜😏😵

They're owned by the same company? 

35 minutes ago, BallFour4 said:

That's an hour away at posted speeds. 

I don't disagree that there's no need to leave the island, but it's nowhere near an hour at posted speeds.

Google Maps says right now it takes 36 minutes to drive the 26 road miles between Kemah and the Port.... and I've driven League City to Galveston in a half hour with construction, soo.....

Besides, nobody drives posted speeds in Texas...  

14 minutes ago, Lane Hog said:

I don't disagree that there's no need to leave the island, but it's nowhere near an hour at posted speeds.

Google Maps says right now it takes 36 minutes to drive the 26 road miles between Kemah and the Port.... and I've driven League City to Galveston in a half hour with construction, soo.....

Besides, nobody drives posted speeds in Texas...  

Well... I live close to Kemah and work UTMB often. And it's closer to an hour than 36 min. And an Uber would be at a nuts price x 2.  Google maps at 9 PM is different from Nissan Murano earlier this evening. 

Edited by BallFour4

25 minutes ago, Jingerwoppy said:

No it isn't. It's 38 minutes from Kemah to terminal 2. 

In a perfect world it can be. At tourism destination times it's far closer to an hour. I make that drive from near Kemah to UTMB a couple of times a week during the day and home in the evening. 

27 minutes ago, Jingerwoppy said:

They're owned by the same company? 

Yep. Landry's Inc. He owns the San Luis, the Galveston Convention Center, Bubba Gumps, Landrys, and most of the other precooked food disasters here in Galveston.

Edited by BallFour4
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, BallFour4 said:

Yep. Landry's Inc. He owns the San Luis, the Galveston Convention Center, Bubba Gumps, Landrys, and most of the other precooked food disasters here in Galveston.

Agree with you 100%, but he has managed to turn selling overpriced crap to enough people to get his net worth to 5 to 6 BILLION dollars!! 😲😵😜

34 minutes ago, BallFour4 said:

Well... I live close to Kemah and work UTMB often. And it's closer to an hour than 36 min. And an Uber would be at a nuts price x 2.  Google maps at 9 PM is different from Nissan Murano earlier this evening. 

Sure, but most going to the island for a cruise departure aren't going to be traveling on a weeknight during the extended rush hour. 

They're going in the morning and counter-flow to the commuters if they happen to be leaving on a weekday.

• Like 2

My family of three (one teenager) are cruising out of Galveston in November on Allure.  I looked and looked and found our best option to be an Airbnb.  There were options for only 1 night but we too are coming in 2 days early since we've never been to Galveston before and want to check it out.  I opted to stay somewhat centrally located versus on the beach just so it's easier to uber/lyft around but I noticed several beach condo's at a reasonable price on Airbnb ($90).  The owner of our rental sent me this link: https://www.galvestontrolley.com as we will also not have a car.  My biggest concern now is getting to the island from the airport but all I've read suggests we take an uber/lyft as it is the cheapest option.  Good luck!

• Like 1

When my kids were that age we did a Christmas cruise and our day before was spent at Moody Gardens doing everything including the holiday stuff. My kids are now teens and still want to go to The Spot for lunch when we are in Galveston this fall. This time work schedules mean arriving in Galveston the night before the cruise and probably just going to the spot for lunch before we board. We skipped the pier other than looking based on prices for tickets but that is my kids. Moody Gardens we did get tickets that included the ropes course which the kids had a blast doing but they were mad I didn't pay for the zipline which I didn't realize was extra. If by some luck I get an extra day off work, we will go a day earlier and go to Moody Gardens again.

• Like 2

On 6/17/2022 at 1:51 PM, Kingsmom said:

My family of three (one teenager) are cruising out of Galveston in November on Allure.  I looked and looked and found our best option to be an Airbnb.  There were options for only 1 night but we too are coming in 2 days early since we've never been to Galveston before and want to check it out.  I opted to stay somewhat centrally located versus on the beach just so it's easier to uber/lyft around but I noticed several beach condo's at a reasonable price on Airbnb ($90).  The owner of our rental sent me this link: https://www.galvestontrolley.com as we will also not have a car.  My biggest concern now is getting to the island from the airport but all I've read suggests we take an uber/lyft as it is the cheapest option.  Good luck!

The trolley is so fun to me -- I was so happy to see it finally back again on the island!!

For airport transportation, look up Galveston Saltwater Moms on that popular social media site.. Everyone I've talked to who has used them has been so happy with the service, and they're probably cheaper than Uber/Lyft for a long haul like that.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, crazy4themouse said:

The trolley is so fun to me -- I was so happy to see it finally back again on the island!!

For airport transportation, look up Galveston Saltwater Moms on that popular social media site.. Everyone I've talked to who has used them has been so happy with the service, and they're probably cheaper than Uber/Lyft for a long haul like that.

Thank you!  I stopped using that popular social media site almost a year ago (so refreshing!).  Do you happen to have contact info for them that you could share that doesn't require me to use the site that shall remain nameless 😉

1 hour ago, Kingsmom said:

Thank you!  I stopped using that popular social media site almost a year ago (so refreshing!).  Do you happen to have contact info for them that you could share that doesn't require me to use the site that shall remain nameless 😉

I reached out to one of the owners to find out -- She said to just email Bwarren814@att.net with "Reservation" in the header and they'll be happy to get back to you. And here is their pricing info currently, but it is changing 7/1 due to the ridiculous fuel prices now. They're hoping to just add in a temporary surcharge instead of raising the prices across the board, but haven't said anything final yet.

Galveston Saltwater Moms.jpg

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, crazy4themouse said:

I reached out to one of the owners to find out -- She said to just email Bwarren814@att.net with "Reservation" in the header and they'll be happy to get back to you. And here is their pricing info currently, but it is changing 7/1 due to the ridiculous fuel prices now. They're hoping to just add in a temporary surcharge instead of raising the prices across the board, but haven't said anything final yet.

Galveston Saltwater Moms.jpg

Thanks!  I'm all set up with them.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/12/2022 at 7:00 PM, Texas Tillie said:

Not from me.  My favorite place to eat is just outside the Boardwalk at T-Bone Toms.