Billy Bishop Airport (Toronto)

Sue from Canada

We have flown to and from Newark several times. Unlike major Canadian airports, there is no US pre-clearance at Billy Bishop. Our experiences arriving in Newark have ranged from good to horrid. Each time we were directed to a shorter queue for US residents, which was helpful. But it can still be a "zoo." We choose a flight due into Newark early afternoon, but one time our flight was delayed 2 1/2 hours and we landed at the same time as several planes from Europe.

An agreement had been reached between the governments to have pre-clearance, but there is no timeline for this to happen. I don't know what it is like arriving in other US airports. Until there is pre-clearance we will no longer fly Porter to the US. (I keep saying some day we should get Nexus cards, but we don't fly to the US too often.)

Returning to Canada from Newark is a better experience. There have been no significant queues for immigration/customs at Billy Bishop.

18 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

We have flown to and from Newark several times. Unlike major Canadian airports, there is no US pre-clearance at Billy Bishop. Our experiences arriving in Newark have ranged from good to horrid. Each time we were directed to a shorter queue for US residents, which was helpful. But it can still be a "zoo." We choose a flight due into Newark early afternoon, but one time our flight was delayed 2 1/2 hours and we landed at the same time as several planes from Europe.

An agreement had been reached between the governments to have pre-clearance, but there is no timeline for this to happen. I don't know what it is like arriving in other US airports. Until there is pre-clearance we will no longer fly Porter to the US. (I keep saying some day we should get Nexus cards, but we don't fly to the US too often.)

Returning to Canada from Newark is a better experience. There have been no significant queues for immigration/customs at Billy Bishop.

Thanks for the info.  I didn't know there was no pre-clearance flying to the US.  Guess I'll fly AC then take Porter back.

Re the lack of pre-clearance at Billy Bishop - given how understaffed US pre-clearance is at Pearson these days, the question really is if you'd rather get to the airport in Toronto hours early to go through customs there, or get to Billy Bishop closer to your flight time but wait a bit after you land in Newark.

Personally I'd still take Porter both ways. 

• Like 3

For some reason, it is a little-known fact that Canadians arriving into US airports are allowed to use the US passenger queues for Customs & Immigration.  EWR is a super busy airport so you’re best to take the earlier flights, as most international flights will be arriving early afternoon/early evening.  You’re also hitting smack dab in the middle of rush hour, which can be its own kind of nightmare.  Also, the smaller airlines like Porter will get bumped/delayed in favour of the major airlines when there are weather or technical issues so your afternoon flight has a greater possibility of being cancelled.

11 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

For some reason, it is a little-known fact that Canadians arriving into US airports are allowed to use the US passenger queues for Customs & Immigration

Definitely something that I did not know. Thank you!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dismomx5 said:

Definitely something that I did not know. Thank you!

Nor I. Ever since they introduced it, I've not flown into the US from a Canadian airport that didn't have pre-clearance.

27 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Nor I. Ever since they introduced it, I've not flown into the US from a Canadian airport that didn't have pre-clearance.

Not to mention you can avoid all those lines with NEXUS!  Whenever I land at Dulles I hear them yelling for all Canadians to join the US passengers line.

• Like 3

We missed an AC flight from YYZ to FLL in 2018? due to the EXTREMELY slow customs & immigration (the same day flight due to my other family’s schedule).  Fortunately, we did manage to get on the flight as they were waiting for quite a few more connecting flight passengers who were also stuck at C&I behind us.  I decided to get a Nexus card and switched the airport to YTZ when possible.

Our experience at EWR is much favourable than that of David, Mississauga. The first time, we literally walked though the C&I at EWR.  One time we had a big Asian tour group, but took a few minutes longer.  The last one in Dec., 2021, I had a problem with Nexus as the Nexus machine would not read it (the beginner user).  As it turned out, it was an ESTA issue and there was a huge line up at “non American section” as nobody with ESTA would be cleared.  I was told that this was a country wide issue.  An agent took me to the line for Americans and I was cleared “manually. 

Pros for us, who live “walking distance without luggage” to YTZ

Don’t have to get up before sunrise to take an early flight out of YYZ.   We usually take a 10 or 11 am Porter flight so we get up at the normal time and have afternoon for sightseeing at NJ/NY.

Even comparing with UP Express, it is faster and cheaper to get to the airport from downtown.

Cons for P/R

You cannot check in online for Porter.  Online check in is only for Canadian and American.  Annoying but no problem at the check in counter so far.

We go out of YTZ using Porter to EWR for cruise now as our small grandkids like Anthem for indoor activities.

The first time I used the Nexus at YYZs  , the Nexus section was not open and so many people were waiting outside.  

On 6/16/2022 at 10:24 AM, *Miss G* said:

Not to mention you can avoid all those lines with NEXUS!  Whenever I land at Dulles I hear them yelling for all Canadians to join the US passengers line.

Only if you already have it.  I applied back in October but I can't get an interview. 

• Like 1

Porter was a bit of a sh@t show on Thursday flying to Thunder Bay , flight were cancelled for all destinations, 

it took over 45 mins to just drop off bags and that was for a domestic flight

it wasn’t  any better on Friday when daughter was there 

Had a flight out of Person in April to FLL on Westjet , had no problems at all , and coming back from Amsterdam on KLM in May was a breeze 

It all depends on the time of your flight