Picture-A-Week 2022 - Week 24

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, June 13 and Sunday, June 19.

I'm taking a lot of pictures this week. Are you? Let's see them!

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

Being a public holiday Monday (Queen's Birthday) and great winter weather, lots of people (and their dogs) were out and about watching the large swell we've had for a few days now.

RX033875A.thumb.jpg.671052e6f60a6db22c328fc5890a5a68.jpg

RX033907.thumb.JPG.00860c1f251d39b99063136ca3ba7086.JPG

RX033916.thumb.JPG.25cc104021a93cd8be8066d6173490bf.JPG

RX033948.thumb.JPG.307c4eabe4d5fe04c4c0d6943164dff1.JPG

• Like 6

We have been having a rather unpleasant start to winter (1 June) -- wet, windy, cold.

Friday was a big improvement and i took the camera out for a walk.

First photo 5pm across Williamstown Beach. Cut across the point for the second image of the city for some reverse sunset, then looking up the street from outside my house.

Fridayss1.thumb.jpg.58992b021a6fff12fdc9f4d942c504f5.jpg

Fridayss3.thumb.jpg.4358f1d54dea542e1324e1de65b71e1c.jpg

Fridayss2.thumb.jpg.a1941d89979a78f6a88722dfb1170207.jpg

• Like 5

After missing out on the wetlands for the past two weeks - first because of Covid and second because I was away at Disney, yesterday I was finally able to get back out there to see what I've been missing.  There's not as much action in the summer, but that's relative - Florida's most dead season for wildlife is still probably ten times what some places get.  Of course, you have to be willing to walk around in 97 degrees with 85% humidity, heat indexes exceeding 115 degrees and constant threat of pop-up thunderstorms.  But I just had to get back out there:

Double-crested cormorant closeup - love their amazing eye color, and also the blue lining inside their mouths:

original.jpg

The beautiful pink birds of Florida are always hanging around in the summer...the roseate spoonbill:

original.jpg

The pretty black-bellied whistling ducks have hatched their adorable bumble-bee-colored ducklings, and were closely watching over them:

original.jpg

A sneaky male least bittern hiding in the reeds and hunting for fish - I had a sliver between the leaves to get a shot:

original.jpg

Closeup of one of the adorable little whistling ducklings:

original.jpg

Male red-winged blackbird calling out to its mate:

original.jpg

A very surprise visitor to our wetlands...aside from being the first time I've ever seen one at this wetland location, they're also typically winter visitors to Florida, so it was particularly strange to find it in the heart of the summer...the giant American White Pelican:

original.jpg

A great blue heron flying past:

original.jpg

• Like 7

Our family is cursed. Our daughters took after their Mom and were both bonafide heartbreakers. I came up with a lot of potential boyfriend advice like, "Don't worry, I won’t kill you if you hurt my daughter...castration is rarely fatal.” Time passed and the granddaughters arrived, all carrying the curse. If there’s a saving grace, it’s that the sisters pictured here are both great kids. Smart and not too bent by years of social media. Somewhere inside I know their Grandmother and I aren’t responsible for them, but the urge to protect is hard to suppress. Fortunately, our recent trip went smoothly and I didn’t have to threaten anyone or spend a lot of time sheepdogging them. That was their Mother’s job.

Sister Time

1819291858_2022-24SisterTime.thumb.jpg.cf0331c5e49396b994f8c63db8f80f55.jpg

Dave

• Like 3