Best place for Fish & Chips

wblotner66

7 hours ago, Glaciers said:

There are many posts that indicate these salmon have the highest amount of omega-3 fatty acids giving them their “rich, moist and delicious flavor”.

I think this is what helps this fish to command the retail price that it does.  There are many who believe that Omega-3 Fatty Acids reduce the risk of Cancer or Cardiovascular Disease.  According to Wikipedia, there is no high quality evidence that supports that theory.  But, if it tastes good and may, indeed, be good for one, why not spend the money to buy the fish?  

• Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 3:32 PM, dfilpus said:

We learned about the Sandbar on CC before our 2019 cruise. We parked around back where there is an entrance to the dining area. There was a group of locals having lunch and talking local town issues. There was a commercial fisherman who got a phone call and left saying that this was his last warm meal for a month on his way to the boat. It really was a taste of local Juneau and the fish and chips were great.

Did you rent a car to get there?   A cab ride is about $25 from the cruise dock to Sandbar.

1 hour ago, mpk said:

Did you rent a car to get there?   A cab ride is about $25 from the cruise dock to Sandbar.

We rented a car for the day in Juneau. We went to Mendenhall before the tour buses got there, the shrine of Sainte Therese, Eagle Beach, Douglas Island etc.

On 6/21/2022 at 3:14 PM, dfilpus said:

We rented a car for the day in Juneau. We went to Mendenhall before the tour buses got there, the shrine of Sainte Therese, Eagle Beach, Douglas Island etc.

Where did you rent your car?  Thinking about doing that while we’re there

58 minutes ago, stavy said:

Where did you rent your car?  Thinking about doing that while we’re there

We rented from Avis from their office on Mill Street near the AJ Dock. According to other posters, Avis is not going to have that office open this year. 

Look at Junea Car Rental company on Industrial Blvd, almost across the street from the Sand Bar and great halibut. No airport fee, cars tend to be more used, but the prices reflect it. Affectionately called "Juneau Beaters" by the locals. If you rent for a day or more drive out to the 'end of the road', Cowee Creek. You won't get lost, only one road. If you have four or five hours, hike out the trail at Point Bridget State Park. Best views in SEAK. Stop at the Shrine of St. Terese. Limited time? Take in Gastineau Hatchery. Best tourist stop in town for the buck. You might have to get a cab to the car rental.Split it with another couple. Montana Creek road, drive to end, park and walk the trail/old road up the creek. Should be full of salmon now, beautiful level walk.

Edited by Vagabond51

On 6/28/2022 at 12:59 PM, nini said:

Hopefully, this thread can return to the original topic; "Best Place for Fish and Chips".

Does anyone know of one in Icy Strait or Prince Rupert?

A short walk to the main tourist area will give you the chance to sample the offerings of the Crab Station. 

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/icy-strait-point/P5267216-2.jpg

• Thanks 1

The first time in my life (age 31 at the time) where I enjoyed fish and chips was at the Red Dog Saloon in Juneau. I really don't eat seafood but figured I better try a bite of my wife's plate.... and ended up eating half her order!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2022 at 12:06 AM, Crew News said:

A short walk to the main tourist area will give you the chance to sample the offerings of the Crab Station. 

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/icy-strait-point/P5267216-2.jpg

The Crab Station does not have fish and chips.

On 6/28/2022 at 11:59 AM, nini said:

Hopefully, this thread can return to the original topic; "Best Place for Fish and Chips".

Does anyone know of one in Icy Strait or Prince Rupert?

We only saw three restaurants near the welcome center when there at the end of June. The Crab Shack (no fish and chips), a smokehouse type place (no fish and chips) and a third that was closed (menu had fish and chips...but they were closed).

On 7/16/2022 at 12:33 PM, tunafish said:

And if they don't they just close the shop? C'mon guys

Yup... pretty much a physical impossibility, especially halibut, but it sounds pretty "Alaskan". Guys have gone to jail for selling halibut from a sport boat to a 'fish and chips' slopshoot. Halibut longliners go out for days, if not weeks at a time. The vast majority of halibut sold to tourists has been frozen. Locals, and some visitors can taste the difference.

Edited by Vagabond51

• 4 weeks later...

Barbs Fish and Chips Victoria Fisherman’s Wharf, delicious huge and fresh French fries.

A short walk from the ship for a short time being there.  You can walk along the pier, get hand dipped ice cream and take the water taxi for a ride

Edited by msbinky

Icy Strait Point.... the Cookhouse is where you get Fish and Chips, but they close at 5pm.  Their menu shows various types as well as fish chowder and daily specials.  Oh, and beer.

I'll be there eating a late lunch after whale watching in 3 weeks!

rc3d-The-Cookhouse-menu.jpg

Edited by ABQrobin
  • Like 1

I see fish & chips on the ship menu all the time.

Seems like the Sandbar makes sense only with the rental car.  I don't see recouping your cab fare with the better deal on fish & chips.  But renting a car is a good option in Juneau, for a variety of reasons.   I'm glad I have another food place to drive to now, other than McDonald's.   🙂   

On 6/13/2022 at 6:09 PM, Sea Hag said:

It looks like a nice place, but $28.99 for fish and chips is a little too much for me. 

I think the prices are just higher in Alaska for a lot of items.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gerig said:

I think the prices are just higher in Alaska for a lot of items.   

Said it before and I'll say it again. I understand about prices in Alaska, and being from California they never seemed all that high to me. And I still don't want to pay that for fish and chips. Personal choice on my part, and nothing else should be read into it. 😃

10 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

Said it before and I'll say it again. I understand about prices in Alaska, and being from California they never seemed all that high to me. And I still don't want to pay that for fish and chips. Personal choice on my part, and nothing else should be read into it. 😃

I wasn't reading into it at all.  I live in New York and am accustomed to high prices

Onboard your ship, you are probably going to get frozen fish, which is what we are used to in the lower 48.  Its good... but if you have fresh right out of the ocean you will taste the difference.  Its a whole new level IMHO.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ABQrobin said:

Onboard your ship, you are probably going to get frozen fish, which is what we are used to in the lower 48.  Its good... but if you have fresh right out of the ocean you will taste the difference.  Its a whole new level IMHO.

I agree.  As I have posted several times on a variety of threads, the Halibut and Chips that I ate in Juneau was the best Halibut I have ever eaten.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I agree.  As I have posted several times on a variety of threads, the Halibut and Chips that I ate in Juneau was the best Halibut I have ever eaten.  

I also agree, that in Alaska as well as Vancouver best Halibut fish and chips. We are currently on the Oregon coast and have had wonderful halibut fish and chips too. Average price $22, but prices everywhere are up.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...