A week in Tahiti, activity advice please

aprilsp88

Hi,

We plan to stay in Tahiti for a week. We like snorkeling and circle the island scenic drive. Will we enjoy Tahiti as much as we did for other island if snorkeling and scenery are our preference (we're not hikers)?

Is there any good snorkeling sites with beach access in Tahiti, where we can see coral and shark just like in Moorea? Or even a boat tour that starts in papette? I can't find any. If so we don't need to take ferry to Moorea.

Is it worth the effort to explore other islands? ie, take a ferry or airplane to tahaa and Huahine, find a tour operator or hotel who can pick us up from the pier/airport.

Do you have any other suggestions? Such as which island to visit? Activities?

Thanks,

April

• Like 1

A week in Tahiti would make sense if you were into surfing. But I don't think of it as a snorkeling destination. Probably two days in Tahiti would be enough to circle the island and go on a 4x4 tour of the interior valleys.

After that, I would want to go to Moorea or one of the other islands for snorkeling and other water activities.

Edited by Mercruiser

I agree with Mercruiser. Tahiti is a big island but there are almost no decent snorkeling spots. However one of the best times we've ever had in many trips to Tahiti was 8 miles from Papeete with Captain Benoit......https://www.whale-dolphin-turtle.com/

Just superb!

Moorea is an excellent choice as it is so easy to access by ferry- and tons of snorkeling outfitters and back country exploration. Tahaa is also about as incredible as Bora Bora, but airfare to either is awfully steep. Take a look at this resort on Tahaa.

https://www.letahaa.com/

If your not taking a cruise and staying land based plus you don't want to break the bank go to Moorea. Best snorkeling will be on Rangiroa, Bora Bora and Tahaa at the drift snorkel location, next to Le Tahaa Resort 😉

But frankly the best way to enjoy FP especially if this is your first trip is by cruise ship. You see so much more 😉

• 8 months later...

Trying to read all comments regarding Tahiti and Society Islands.  Think I am tagging onto this thread - hope you all don't mind.  We are planning to do the coral garden drift snorkel at Tahaa in June with a Windstar excursion. My husband is concerned as he tends to sink (cannot float) and has to use a flotation belt or vest when snorkeling.  Is that doable on this excursion?   We are not avid snorkelers - it's been several years since we've snorkeled while on a cruise.   I'm wondering if this is the wrong excursion for us.  Would appreciate input from those who have done this excursion.

Edited by grangerlady
forgot something