Feds set to announce end to vaccine mandates domestic & outbound international travel

A&L_Ont

Just saw this a couple minutes ago on CBC. 

“The federal government is set to announce an end to vaccine mandates for domestic travel on planes and trains, as well as outbound international travel, CBC News has learned”.

link:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/government-end-vax-mandates-1.6487585

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Just saw this a couple minutes ago on CBC. 

“The federal government is set to announce an end to vaccine mandates for domestic travel on planes and trains, as well as outbound international travel, CBC News has learned”.

link:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/government-end-vax-mandates-1.6487585

I just saw it as well. Does this mean one doesn’t have to prove that they have had the vaccinations and boosters?  Doesn’t that mean that more and more unvaccinated people will be amomg the vaccinated, and no masks being worn?  Don’t know if this is a good idea.  I’m thinking if a vaccinated person gets inundated by viruses from 4 or 5 unvaccinated, infected people…then the illness may not be as mild as it should be.  There’s not much information about the effects of virus infection from unvaccinated vs vaccinated people.  Has anyone seen any data on the protection effects of antibody levels? I know life has to get back to normal again, but I wonder how rough the road back will be.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

There’s not much information about the effects of virus infection from unvaccinated vs vaccinated people.

How exactly would they research this? My family is fully vaxx'd w/boosters and it didn't stop the four of us from coming down with Covid. Our daughter was the first to show very mild symptoms no different than the symptoms the rest of us had. Did she get it from an unvaxx'd person? With the decline in testing, and the fact they don't do contact tracing, there's no way to figure out who she got it from and it doesn't really matter if you end up hospitalized. We take precautions and don't have an issue wearing a mask if the situation calls for it. In fact, both our kids have been wearing masks in school since they lifted the mask mandate, and so do pretty much all the kids at their high school.

Realistically take a look at what the CBC is reporting.

1. No vaccine mandate for domestic travel. Ok, this is a change but they aren't reporting that mask mandates during flights are being dropped as well. So realistically how much of an increased risk is it?

2. No vaccine mandate for outbound international travel. Big whoop de do. Vaccine requirements are determined by the destination country, not the departure country. 

3. No mention that vaccine mandates are being dropped for those that are travelling to Canada.

I'll wait for the official announcement, but I'm not expecting much to really change. IMO this is nothing more than smoke & mirrors.

Edited by cdn_tbird
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, cdn_tbird said:

How exactly would they research this? My family is fully vaxx'd w/boosters and it didn't stop the four of us from coming down with Covid. Our daughter was the first to show very mild symptoms no different than the symptoms the rest of us had. Did she get it from an unvaxx'd person? With the decline in testing, and the fact they don't do contact tracing, there's no way to figure out who she got it from and it doesn't really matter if you end up hospitalized. We take precautions and don't have an issue wearing a mask if the situation calls for it. In fact, both our kids have been wearing masks in school since they lifted the mask mandate, and so do pretty much all the kids at their high school.

Realistically take a look at what the CBC is reporting.

1. No vaccine mandate for domestic travel. Ok, this is a change but they aren't reporting that mask mandates during flights are being dropped as well. So realistically how much of an increased risk is it?

2. No vaccine mandate for outbound international travel. Big whoop de do. Vaccine requirements are determined by the destination country, not the departure country. 

3. No mention that vaccine mandates are being dropped for those that are travelling to Canada.

I'll wait for the official announcement, but I'm not expecting much to really change. IMO this is nothing more than smoke & mirrors.

I wish there was a better way to evaluate risk factors.  Our local news articles will report new cases, how many in hospital, how many died, how many in the ICU….but they don’t break it down between what happened to the vaccinated vs the unvaccinated.  Every action has risks but so far it’s difficult to decide on a course of action. Mask mandates were dropped on public transportation so I have to decide, should I or should I not. I guess I still feel vulnerable even though fully vaxxed..so perhaps the best course of action is to continue what has protected me so far until I feel that Covid isn’t waiting for me around every corner.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

I guess I still feel vulnerable even though fully vaxxed..so perhaps the best course of action is to continue what has protected me so far until I feel that Covid isn’t waiting for me around every corner.

That's very much DW's and my attitude. We still wear our masks when out shopping or are otherwise with groups of people in a public setting, and will probably continue to do so for some time to come.

Not mentioned in the CBC article cited by the OP is the fact that the GOC is also expected to drop the vaccine mandate for members of the public service. It would have been a hard sell to drop it for domestic and outbound international flights but maintain it for government employees.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ladysail2 said:

I wish there was a better way to evaluate risk factors. 

I guess I still feel vulnerable even though fully vaxxed..so perhaps the best course of action is to continue what has protected me so far until I feel that Covid isn’t waiting for me around every corner.

We share your feelings of vulnerability, even though like you we're double vaxxed.

For now there's probably no perfect answer other than what individuals decide is best for themselves.

Ruth

• Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 11:22 AM, Been There, Planning That said:

We share your feelings of vulnerability, even though like you we're double vaxxed.

For now there's probably no perfect answer other than what individuals decide is best for themselves.

Ruth

Yeah...double vaxexd, boosters don't prevent you from getting it. It's just supposed to lessen the severity.

Loosening these restrictions is good though as it's a step towards moving ahead  It's huge that you no longer need a negative covid test to fly to the US.... as that was such a stress that a trip would get canned 2 days prior. (Will see when it's lifted to board a cruise - for us, our next trip isn't cruise related so a big relief on the flight to US change).   Not sure how I feel about the "no vaccinations required" policy being lifted, but again...it's a step forward where covid can be treated a common cold for most.

Edited by LuCruise
  • Like 1

On 6/21/2022 at 7:19 AM, bobpell said:

Hopefully the GOC will drop the Arrivecan app as requested by the mayors of border communities!!

A while ago someone said that the ArriveCan replaced the paper immigration form we used to complete on the airplane coming into Canada. I can’t see going back to paper once an electronic format has been established.  I personally prefer the paper declaration..but then I’m not an e-type of person.  Most young people are used to electronics and the future is theirs…so we old types will just have to go along to get along!!

Maybe for quick trips where the paper version wasn’t used, the ArriveCan will be phased out.

1 hour ago, ladysail2 said:

A while ago someone said that the ArriveCan replaced the paper immigration form we used to complete on the airplane coming into Canada. I can’t see going back to paper once an electronic format has been established.  I personally prefer the paper declaration..but then I’m not an e-type of person.  Most young people are used to electronics and the future is theirs…so we old types will just have to go along to get along!!

Maybe for quick trips where the paper version wasn’t used, the ArriveCan will be phased out.

The paper declaration hasn't disappeared and won't in the short term. The use of ArriveCAN to make your declaration is optional and only available when arriving at YVR and YYZ. With a lot of pressure being exerted on the GOC to drop the app completely, I don't foresee it replacing the forms. Maybe a new app, but ArriveCAN has developed a bad reputation, and if they want traveller buy-in, a new app would receive better acceptance IMO.

I don't get all the ArriveCAN antipathy. It's a simply and quick process. So many are complaining about long clearance times while also complaining about anything that might speed up processing. 

The tourist groups that are pushing the elimination of ArriveCAN are actually asking for the elimination of any COVID vaccination and testing requirements for entry. 

Might as well also suggest eliminating visas and passport requirements. Surely more tourists would visit if this paperwork wasn't  required. 🙄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, broberts said:

I don't get all the ArriveCAN antipathy. It's a simply and quick process. So many are complaining about long clearance times while also complaining about anything that might speed up processing. 

The tourist groups that are pushing the elimination of ArriveCAN are actually asking for the elimination of any COVID vaccination and testing requirements for entry. 

Might as well also suggest eliminating visas and passport requirements. Surely more tourists would visit if this paperwork wasn't  required. 🙄

I think that the antipathy relates to the complexity of the app coupled with a less than easily understood instructions that are spread across several different webpages and changing regularly. Some contributors here, you definitely among them @broberts, have developed a good understanding of an app that they have studied since its inception, and can probably provide more accurate information than some of the help desk crew at CBSA. But the elderly couple from Montana driving to Alberta to attend their niece's wedding might well be flummoxed by the app, if they have even heard of it.

Hypothetical situation: A newly retired Boston couple disembarks in Vancouver and immediately hops into a rental RV and heads off on a two week road trip home via Canada. The Destination in Canada page lets them fudge most of the fields, for example, accepting "Trans-Canada Highway" as the street and "Multiple" as the city, but the forced-choice Province field will only accept a single province or territory. So do they just select "BC"? Or do they choose an alternate approach and simply list the address of the RV rental company? Either approach will be accepted by the app, but what does CBSA want? Is there a single correct answer, or can you go with any reasonable approach?

Don't get me wrong, I'm quite happy with the app and the requirement to use it. But it's not perfect and I can understand why some people become frustrated with it.

• Like 1

I agree it's mostly with the rollout and confusion. There were a bunch of stories early on about people being forced to go in to quarrantine or paying a fine because they didn't download the app. There was a story out of alberta where a lady who lived at the border would get packages delivered to an American postal office regularly. When covid hit she couldn't go for a couple years and a package sat there. As soon as border opened she zipped across, was gone for 45 min and didn't have the app filled out upon return. She was forced to quarrantine for 14 days upon return. They wouldn't even let her download and fill it out at the border. 

Granted they could be isolated incidents, improperly trained workers, or over exaggerated and upset consumers. Either way I agree with previous poster that if they want better buy in they will have to change the name as too many people soured on it. I would prefer to fill out the app and show qr code vs filling out paper forms. 

I like the ease of E Documents for the most part but I always also print up all necessary papers I need to travel, I have nightmares of having all my travel docs in my phone and getting to the border or airline check in customs or whatever and fumbling trying to find all my papers, dropping my phone and breaking it so I have nothing! lol

• Like 1