Alaska Cruise out Vancouver - Help Please

Orange jeep

Hi Guys - need help please regarding Airport in Vancouver and Pier Terminal at Canada Place…

so when I fly into airport I go thru customs and what do I show them…visa, ArriveCAN info?  How does this work and how long will it take at airport.  

then sounds like 45 minutes to pier from airport.  

I was just reading my contract and I guess I didn’t realize at Pier I go thru a US customs and border protection area at Pier before boarding ship.  What documents are they looking for to clear me?  How long does this process take.  

I am on tight time frame as I land 12:30 pm…day of…hope this is enough time as never been to Vancouver.  Yes I know should have flown in night before but hubby didn’t want to.

Thanks for help with answering questions.

• Like 1

When you arrive YVR, you will meet the Canada Border Services Agents. Walking from the gate to the counter could be long depending on where your plane docks. You'll show him/her you passport as well as the ArriveCan info, answer a few questions, then you'll go to pick up the luggage and out. The agent could also randomly send you to have Covid test. Last month, we were picked to have PCR test. Since your time is tight, you don't fool around with other transportation. You should take a taxi to pier that will take 45 minutes. If there are multiple ships leaving Vancouver, you have to find the right counter to get your boarding documents cruise cards, etc. This is not Ft. Lauderdale, you won't see your ship for a while. Then, all passengers of all ships must converge to see U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents as now you are leaving Canada entering the United States. I think I had to drop my luggage into the X-ray scanner. Perhaps someone could correct me. A few years ago, we stuck in the US Border Protection area for 1 hour. Good luck.

Edited by stag

I can't answer all of your questions, but:

You'll need to show your US passport to get into Canada, and have completed the ArriveCan info which will be attached to your reservation.  Unless you carry a different passport you don't need a visa. 

From my experience, and what has been reported here, you don't actually have to show it, as it will be in their computers as you fill in your passport information on the ArriveCan app.  Once through, you can take the train from the airport to Canada Place (last stop so you can't miss it).  It does take about 36 minutes, and you may need to wait a bit for a train - not long - maybe 5 to 10 minutes.

One more thing- there is a pause on random covid testing at the airports now.  Hopefully that will still the case when you travel.  That should help the flow of travellers through Immigration.

Sorry I haven't yet checked in for an Alaska cruise at Canada Place, so I don't know what the passport line is like.  It may depend on how many ships are sailing that day.  What time is your all aboard time?

Edited by KiwiGal117
add info about Covid testing

5 minutes ago, stag said:

You should take a taxi to pier that will take 45 minutes. 

Traffic can be brutal in Vancouver - no highways into the City - it's all surface roads.  Honestly the train is more consistent, depending on traffic and time of day.

• Like 2

We'll be an extended family of 6 (DH & myself and adult son and his family same last names traveling together)...I thought only one family member has to fill out the ArrivCan form....or will we need two...ours and his?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

One person can have up to 8 people on their ArriveCan account.  You all must be present when showing it.

Thanks....We'll all be together every step of the way. Just double checking as this was my understanding from a very helpful poster that lives in Canada.

I can see why hubby would want to avoid the expensive Vancouver hotel but You are cutting it pretty close with a 12:30 arrival with flights running late all the time now.  That said you are looking at at least 45 minutes to walk from gate, get through customs and pick up your luggage and then another 45 min to Canada place.   That put you there about 2 but it is the what if the flight is late where the worry is.  

VCR has a kiosk that scans your passport and takes your arrive Canada info.  It is not that bad.  Remember once you get through the airport you need to delete your flight from arrive Canada and make a new entry as a sea entry.  It will remember much of your info.  You can put your whole family on one arrive Canada.  

I addition to other potential delays listed…We flew into YVR in April, we appeared to be the only plane going thru customs. We did however, have to wait more than 30 min for luggage to even begin coming onto the carousel. Took about an hour to get out to the taxi stand and this was with no crowds,
Landing at 12:30 is one thing, but there is also the added time of getting to the gate and deplaning. 
If there are several large ships at Canada Place, thats more time.

I hope you can convince your hubby to fly in a day earlier and avoid the stress.

On 6/18/2022 at 4:51 PM, spacetraveler said:

Most ships leave Canada Place pier at 4:30 p.m. The gangway is close at 4:00. 

On our favorite cruise line the “all aboard” for passengers at port calls is 30 minutes.  However the embarkation port timing is different.  At embarkation passengers need to be on that ship 90 minutes before departure.  

I had been hoping that our OP had updated us on their flight plans.

From the NCL website 

EMBARKATION + DISEMBARKATION
  • Due to security reasons, all guests must be on board 2 hours before sailing on Day 1 of cruise.
  • Disembarkation usually begins 2 hours after docking on final day of cruise.

Edited by arpie05

15 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Don’t take a taxi from the airport to Canada Place.  Take CanadaLine.  It’s waaaay cheaper and waaaay faster.

But I thought that strictly speaking you couldn't take luggage with you? Or that it would be very difficult to handle on the train? We come into Vancouver at about 3pm the day before and would happily take the CL if we could without too much trouble.

5 hours ago, 5waldos said:

But I thought that strictly speaking you couldn't take luggage with you? Or that it would be very difficult to handle on the train?

The Canada Line operates under the same rules as the rest - so luggage isn't supposed to block aisles, take up seats, or be put in the designated wheelchair/bike spaces.

However, unlike the other lines the trains themselves are completely different - there's gallons of legroom and enough room under every seat to stash a good sized suitcase! I'm 6'1" and 250lbs, and have no trouble getting a 28" roller and a carryon or backpack under my seat/under my legs - so unless you have massive or multiple suitcases, if you can drag'em you can stash'em.

Since the airport is one terminus, you will also always get a seat - you're not fighting folks from earlier stations. If you go all the way to Waterfront you're likewise ending at a terminus so everyone gets off, which means no need to ask folks to move so you can oull your bags out from underneath you - but if your hotel is nearer City Centre Station then just ask anyone standing right next to you to let you out as soon as the train starts rolling out of Yaletown. Pulling bags out from under you and maneuvering through bodies to the doors before they close might get tricky if you don't have your bags ready to roll.

The only point where the Canada Line really stops making sense is when the price gets up to close to that of a cab - with $5 extra on all tickets for the privilege of leaving the airport, 4 people will pay less for a cab downtown (fixed zone price $34, vs. adult fare for a weekday afternoon works out to a little over $9pp on the train). Even for 3 folks, you're looking at almost exactly $28 for 3 adult fares - so the convenience of door-to-door service may seem well worth the extra $6 for a cab + tip.

If you were flying in day of and speed was of the essence - yes, train is both faster and incredibly consistent due to being entirely automated. But since you are arriving the day before, with cabs using zone fares it doesn't cost you a penny extra if they hit traffic!

• Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 12:10 PM, nini said:

We think of flying in at least one day ahead as "the cost of cruising". Otherwise, it is too stressful and not a positive way to begin a lovely trip.

Yep.  We normally arrive one day ahead.  With all the recent flight problems, we have upped it to two days before the cruise.

On 6/29/2022 at 8:36 PM, 5waldos said:

Thanks for the clarification- does it end right at Canada Place? Cheaper with 2 of us so will rethink our plans. Is it easier or more difficult to get to than a taxi? 

The Waterfront station used by the Canada Line (from the airport) is not the one that is immediately accessible to the east of Canada Place.  I have used this several times. When you exit the Skytrain area into the Waterfront station building by escalator or elevator (the ex-Canadian Pacific Railway station) you go out on the street, turn right (west) one block then  right again. This is not a problem if your luggage is on wheels. It is about a 10-minute walk.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mpk said:

Yep.  We normally arrive one day ahead.  With all the recent flight problems, we have upped it to two days before the cruise.

Good idea. I think this will become more common.

On 6/29/2022 at 5:36 PM, 5waldos said:

Thanks for the clarification- does it end right at Canada Place? Cheaper with 2 of us so will rethink our plans. Is it easier or more difficult to get to than a taxi? 

About 400 yards away - as David says, the platform right outside Canada Place is for the other line (Expo, heads eastward). If you head for the end of the Canada Line platform that says 'Granville' you can actually walk downhill, a little easier if you have heavy cases than coming up in the main lobby of the historic station building where the walk is a very slight uphill slope along Cordova.

6 hours ago, Suzanne123 said:

Can you tell me which station would be closest to Hampton Inn on Robeson Street?  If it is more than a couple blocks, we’ll get a cab.  Thanks.

Closest Canada Line station is City Centre - <800 yard walk. Google map directions. Stadium-Chinatown is only a couple of blocks away, but on the Expo line - to transfer you need to walk through a mall between City Centre & Granville stations, or else go all the way to Waterfront and change platforms (stairs or escalators up then back down again) so honestly the walk from City Centre is your easiest option...