Live report for Coral Princess 16th June

2 hours ago, Porky55 said:

I’m not sure that, even if an Australian outlet is fitted that the voltage is changed - the sensible thing would be if it is wired into where the Euro were, as they are 220v. But not sure Coral ever had Euro outlets?
Only way to be sure I guess is ask ships engineers or electricians - or take a multimeter - 😉 

I'm fairly certain the AU socket will be 220v. We would have heard the screams by now from women whose hair appliances didn't work as they expected.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Porky55 said:

So, we could bring a hairdryer?

Yes, you can bring hair dryers and other hair appliances. They'd lose a lot of cruisers if they banned those. I just wish they supplied decent hair dryers onboard like Celebrity does but I can get away with the horrid ones as my hair is short, straight and fine so doesn't need much drying. Even so it does dry better with a decent hairdryer.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, you can bring hair dryers and other hair appliances. They'd lose a lot of cruisers if they banned those. I just wish they supplied decent hair dryers onboard like Celebrity does but I can get away with the horrid ones as my hair is short, straight and fine so doesn't need much drying. Even so it does dry better with a decent hairdryer.

Interesting we have had two different style of hairdryer in our two cabins, this cabin is a much newer type. I can manage for the sake of the cruise though 

2 hours ago, plettza said:

I'm going back to my electronics technology days but most things should be ok even on 60 Hz but a heating element and a fan might give a slightly higher output as it's not rectified. Maybe with continued use, you'd prematurely burn the motors and elements out but 60 Hz shouldn't be too much of an issue. 

My fan works fine onboard.

47 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yeah, the boss uses and recommends GHD.  But you'll the difference between the in-cabin dryer and the GHD.  A really good solid amount of air comes out when on correct mains supply.  She made-do with the in-cabin one but she thought her hair would be too frizzy.

The hair straightener just took a lot longer to get to temp

Edited by plettza

5 hours ago, arxcards said:

Not sure. We have had some really good head waiters on Princess. On some lines, you only seem to notice them on the last night.

I agree, the majority of the HW's I have had on Princess over the years, have been great, they come and see me every night with next nights menu for me to pick GF.  Although I am not a huge tipper, I do give the HW some $ in an envelope last night, the Maitre'D can go whistle, he only worries about the suite guests.  Although on ye olde Regal Princess in 2007, LA to Sydney, Capt Andrew Froude and his sat at our MDR table 3 or 4 times as the Capt's wife Renae had worked at Ansett with one of the ladies on our table. Suffice to say those nights the good wine was flowing, the steaks were bigger off menu items were available to us, i.e. lobster tails and the Maitre'D was hovering all night over us, pouring wine and was a bit of a pain actually, asking if everything was good from the pats of butter to the cheese plate and in between, lol.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

If your cruise was on an Australian-based itinerary and if it was within the last 14 years, there wouldn't have been a gratuity added to the cost of the wine.

The crew member making the sale still gets a gratuity from the sale, even though you have paid indirectly in your cruise price.

Edited by NSWP

5 minutes ago, NSWP said:

The crew member making the sale still gets a gratuity from the sale, even though you have paid indirectly in your cruise price.

Do you think so? 🙂 I know that system works where the auto gratuity and gratuity on drinks applies, but I doubt it is otherwise where the stewards etc are on a higher fixed wage.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, arxcards said:

Not sure. We have had some really good head waiters on Princess. On some lines, you only seem to notice them on the last night.

On out last cruise on Golden, we had a great head waiter. We were talking to him as we left the MDR after dinner one night and told him we were going to Crown Grill for dinner the next evening and he asked what time our reservation was. He came and visited us in Crown Grill to check we were being looked after. A nice gesture.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Do you think so? 🙂 I know that system works where the auto gratuity and gratuity on drinks applies, but I doubt it is otherwise where the stewards etc are on a higher fixed wage.

Definitely the case for P&O, and pretty sure the same applies to $AU Carnival & Princess contracts. Although not required, they like to say they are aligned to local laws - commission selling of alcohol is not an RSA principle, so they modified the contract so that they are paid a higher flat wage based on the general turnover of bar sales.

A waiter will still get brownie points towards promotions by being more active, although head waiters are appraised by other targets.

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Bringing back to life, as there was a lot of really good discussion on a couple of these threads.

What is the best location for sailaway?

On the boat😁

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Bringing back to life, as there was a lot of really good discussion on a couple of these threads.

What is the best location for sailaway?

After our meet up in wheelhouse bar (which was a good location because it was large space with lots nice couches and quiet apart from the couple of guys trying to do sound checks 😊) we personally headed out to top deck overlooking the pool deck, where all the action was! Everyone was pretty spread out, Cruise Control were great, CDaze led her party strutting out the dance floor 🥳🥳🥳.

so we could see all the party and also all the activities off the ship as we sailed past.

we personally then retired to our balcony to watch. Ah bliss to be on board.🥰🥰

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, CDaze71 said:

Yeah we were hitting the dance floor on deck while the band Cruise Control were playing. And yes we could see Irene and Frank upstairs. So anywhere on Lido would be fun. 

Upstairs is actually good if you don't want to hit the dance floor or pool. I actually had a friend I had not seen for maybe 20 years, spot us from downstairs and come up to say hi. We didn't know we were both on same cruise. I don't think they wouldn't have seen us from downstairs so we were in the best location.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CDaze71 said:

Yeah we were hitting the dance floor on deck while the band Cruise Control were playing. And yes we could see Irene and Frank upstairs. So anywhere on Lido would be fun. 

Do they still call it..'Cuttin the Rug?' 💃

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I prefer to be upstairs overlooking the pool deck, easier to dance without being the show as well.

I can relate to that. Looks like a spot somewhere near the sun deck bar & grill wins out, as long as the weather is half decent.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/19/2022 at 2:08 PM, LC1950 said:

Platinum Elite Suites evening lounge from approx 4.30-5.30PM each evening where a selection of nibbles are offered (F.O.C.) and they have a menu of special cocktails which aren't free of course.  I did a couple of cruises on the Golden Princess where it was held in Skywalkers.  It wasn't offered on the Sun class ships.  They have a "bouncer" on the door so only those "speshul" people are allowed in.  🙄

Maybe Princess has done away with this like they have with pillow chocolates, tote bags and those tub chairs in the cabins.

Ozwoody I'm probably older and even fuddier duddier that you are LOL.

Most of the speshul people don't seem to bother anymore, and only the rooly speshul people can be bothered it seems. But they are still doing it.

I wasn't meaning to drag up the past here from a whole 2 months ago, but just wanted to note that a Princess tote bag was on our bed the night before our first port. I don't know in your case if they had run out, but we felt speshul to get one.

For anyone starting to poke around here recently looking for tips on Coral, this topic is a good starting point and a great read.

Edited by arxcards