Beach chairs and umbrellas

bkrickles1

10 Days until we finally get to board the Joy to Bermuda.

So excited!!

I've seen somewhere that someone that's currently there has said that the price for chairs at Horseshoe Bay has gone up.

We will be visiting both Horseshoe Bay and Tobacco Bay and wanted to see if anyone knows the current pricing for chairs and umbrellas at both of these popular beaches.

We will be 5 adults and 2 kids, so I'd like to have an idea of what it's going to cost me.

TIA

9 hours ago, bkrickles1 said:

So excited!!

I've seen somewhere that someone that's currently there has said that the price for chairs at Horseshoe Bay has gone up.

We will be visiting both Horseshoe Bay and Tobacco Bay and wanted to see if anyone knows the current pricing for chairs and umbrellas at both of these popular beaches.

We will be 5 adults and 2 kids, so I'd like to have an idea of what it's going to cost me.

TIA

Recent visitors are saying on social media that at Horseshoe chairs are $10. Two chairs and an umbrella $40. I did not read anything about Tobacco but in the past their price was the same as Horseshoe. We used to in the good old day go the beaches, take a photo of the prices and post it. Seems not to happen much now. People ask but don’t tell . 

• Thanks 1

I was just there last week and it was $30 for 2 chairs and an umbrella ($10 each).  When we first got there, they had no chairs or umbrellas available so we had to wait for people to leave to "claim" them.  Felt a bit stalker-ish, but the UV index was 10 and I burn easily so I REALLY needed the umbrella.  Horseshoe Bay is beautiful, wish I was back there.  Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

On 6/16/2022 at 7:13 AM, bkrickles1 said:

So excited!!

TIA

We were there in May. Horseshoe Bay was $10 each for chairs and umbrellas. Tobacco Bay was $20 for a chair. 

On 6/22/2022 at 2:50 PM, Spinory said:

I was just there last week and it was $30 for 2 chairs and an umbrella ($10 each).  When we first got there, they had no chairs or umbrellas available so we had to wait for people to leave to "claim" them.  Felt a bit stalker-ish, but the UV index was 10 and I burn easily so I REALLY needed the umbrella.  Horseshoe Bay is beautiful, wish I was back there.  Enjoy!

What time did you get to Horseshow to find no chairs and umbrellas left?

12 minutes ago, Spinory said:

FrannyK, the ship got to Bermuda around 10am, we got to horseshoe bay around 11:30 or so. We got the chairs and umbrella within an hour. HTH!

In the past around 11:30 was around when they started running out. Then the morning people started leaving. A lot of cruisers want lunch on the ship and chairs again become available as you noted. The previous concession had that solved for a couple of years by ordering more chairs. He made a big deal about doing that. The new business needs to order more chairs. They should be making enough from the rentals to do that. 

• 2 weeks later...

This past Wed. We arrived at Horseshoe around 9:30 am. We go the last umbrella, there was a line waiting and the staff gave it  to us because “ we were  seniors”. If they got a new supply of umbrellas, the staff didn’t know! 

We only stayed a few of hours, so we let ship friends use our umbrella as we were leaving. The staff at Horseshoe made them pay the $15. I guess they have staff watching the crowd for transfers. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/4/2022 at 12:19 PM, Graciesmom2 said:

We only stayed a few of hours, so we let ship friends use our umbrella as we were leaving. The staff at Horseshoe made them pay the $15. I guess they have staff watching the crowd for transfers. 

They definitely do have people watching to see when people leave.  Saw two different parties think they were slick jumping in on people leaving and the staff swarmed on them and made them pay up

Horseshoe Bay Beach last Wednesday (July 20) $70 for two chairs and a "tent". They called it a tent, but it was just one of those 4-cornered canopies that you see vendors use and at craft shows, etc. The line was incredibly long. The beach was packed. The 6 different lines at the refreshment station had no signs (food/drinks) at all. One person waited in a line for 35 minutes, only to find out that the line was for drinks and she was ordering food. If you were only one person and needed to order both food and drinks, you would have to wait in each separate line, for maybe 30+ minutes each. Then the wait for the food was over 40 minutes.

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

I was there July 2022 for an afternoon excursion from the cruise ship. There were no umbrellas or chairs to rent available. There were so many people there and definitely not enough inventory to meet the demand. Finally a really nice family offered their chairs and umbrella as they were getting ready to leave, which I was very grateful for because it was blazing hot - and I'm old (lol).  

I am returning to Bermuda this summer and would love to go back to Horseshoe Bay but hesitate due to the lack of inventory to meet the need.  It would be good to know if arriving for the morning session from the cruise ship would yield more availability.  I really am not sure if this strategy would work.  I half want to take an small beach umbrella with me on the cruise ship to use at Horseshoe Bay (not sure if this would be allowed or too cumbersome for the bus).  It is such a beautiful destination, I want to return. 

38 minutes ago, LLSpreeman said:

It would be good to know if arriving for the morning session from the cruise ship would yield more availability. 

I always leave for Horseshoe at 8:30 and there is plenty of availability when getting there at 9:00. The afternoon seems to be when they might run out. I don’t know what you mean by sessions. I either take a taxi or the $7 minibus.  I don’t take the public bus because it does not go up down or up the hill. I arrive about 9 and leave at 2 or 3. I have also started at Warwick Long Bay at around 9 and walked to Horseshoe and still have been able to get a chair rental at 11. 

Thanks - what I mean by sessions is excursion time from the cruise ship (the ship I was on last year had AM and PM departure times). In this case, I am on Celebrity and the excursion leaves at 10:30 am. By the time the bus arrives at 11:30 all the chairs and umbrellas will be long gone.  I can't chance not having shade with my fair skin, so unless there is a way to definitely reserve an umbrella (don't care so much about a chair) I guess I skip Horseshoe this trip.

1 minute ago, LLSpreeman said:

Thanks - what I mean by sessions is excursion time from the cruise ship (the ship I was on last year had AM and PM departure times). In this case, I am on Celebrity and the excursion leaves at 10:30 am. By the time the bus arrives at 11:30 all the chairs and umbrellas will be long gone.  I can't chance not having shade with my fair skin, so unless there is a way to definitely reserve an umbrella (don't care so much about a chair) I guess I skip Horseshoe this trip.

Don’t take the cruise line excursion. There are private shuttles that cost $7 each way or taxis cost $32. You can go and leave when you please and certainly either by minibus shuttle or taxi you will pay less than the cruise line excursion. 

• Like 1

Yes, but I'm afraid that there won't be a private taxi available to take me back and then end up being stuck. Just overly cautious traveling solo.  Wonder if they use Uber in Bermuda?  Sorry I know I don't sound very knowledgeable and travel savvy.

16 minutes ago, LLSpreeman said:

Yes, but I'm afraid that there won't be a private taxi available to take me back and then end up being stuck. Just overly cautious traveling solo.  Wonder if they use Uber in Bermuda?  Sorry I know I don't sound very knowledgeable and travel savvy.

There are always plenty of taxis and minibus shutttles at Horseshoe until about 5 or 5:30. I have been to Horseshoe about 25 times. Since you are going solo the $7 minibus shuttles would be your best option. Easy to find to get there and easy to find to get back. I get off the ship at 8:30 and they are lined up in the parking area  Same at Horseshoe when I want to return. I usually have had enough sun by 2 or 3 and return than. There is no Uber but there is a taxi dispatch app called Hitch but you should not need it for Horseshoe if you want to take a taxi. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LLSpreeman said:

Charles is right. Mini bus is the way to go. It costs way less, $7 each way per person, and there are so many of them waiting at the pier and at Horseshoe. I've probably done it this way a dozen times or more with great success and zero worries. 

And definitely get there before the ships excursion and there will be many chairs and umbrellas to rent and they put them wherever you want. 

I'm going to be there July 26-28 on the ncl joy and I'll be going to Horseshoe at least 2 times. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
3 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Does anyone know what the chair and umbrella price at Horseshoe is for this year? Trying to plan my off-ship budget for my upcoming cruise. (And also is the shuttle still $7 each way?)

The shuttle price is still $7 to Horseshoe. That fare (minibuses)and taxi fares are regulated by the government. The taxi drivers want fares raised but the government has not taken any action. 

As far as Horseshoe prices it would be good if one of the early season travelers took a picture of the prices and menus if they are on a sign and posted it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/20/2023 at 5:41 AM, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Does anyone know what the chair and umbrella price at Horseshoe is for this year?

I read a trip review this morning from the May 7 Prima sailing. They reported that two chairs and an umbrella were $45. You should read the report. Has good info.. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Thanks 1