Princess Cruises with a baby

Niniloo

Does anyone have any experience travelling on Princess Cruises with a baby and can share their experience? 

We are well cruised with Princess as a couple however we will be taking our baby on her first cruise in 2023 around the Mediterranean! She will be 15 months old.

How are Princess with taking ready-to-drink milk on board?

I sterilise bottles in a microwave, how do we go about this on the ship?

How do you bath a baby in the shower cubicle (we have a balcony deluxe stateroom with shower only)?

Can highchairs be provided in the dining rooms?

Can pram/strollers be taken on Princess organised excursions (I believe I can use it around the ship)?

Where did parents put their travel cot/crib in the stateroom (I have requested a travel cot/crib from Princess)?

If there is anyone who is able to shed some light on these and their experience that would really help so I can be organised for our cruise! Very excited to take our little one on board!

For some context, we live in the UK and will be embarking on the Enchanted Princess in Athens. 

Many thanks!

Nina

I happily got my kids off bottles and formula by age 1 (and I’ve never sterilized, just washed with soap and water if not the dishwasher). I can’t imagine sterilizing anything for a toddler, their hands and mouth are on everything. You might be able to use a small blow up pool for the shower. Definitely bring a stroller.

you will NOT be sterilizing bottles by 15 months of age... Most likely, the child may be using a sippy or a straw cup by then, although mine still used a bottle once a day before bed until 2.5 yo. But he drank out of sippy cups the rest of the time. PP is right - by 15 months your toddler will be putting everything in her mouth, so sterilizing bottles would be a moot point. One of the reasons we left DS with the grandparents and went on a cruise without him at 9 months and 2 yo is because the ships and planes aren't very sanitary for kids who cannot keep their hands out of their mouths. He started cruising at 3.9 yo.

Princess will have whole milk on board. You will not need to bring your own milk with you.

You will most likely use a stroller instead of a pram by then. It will definitely come in handy.

You can shower while holding a soapy slippery kid (not advised), or if she can stand independently by then (she should), she can stand in the shower and you can use the flexible shower head to wash her off. Or use an inflatable pool.

Bring all the meds, thermometer and a night light.

You can mush steamed veggies with a fork - by 15 months your kid will be able to eat mushed veggies and meat and other stuff. Each kid is different: mine was still eating purees and porridge at 18 months (he hated other textures, still does), while the neighbor's kid was eating pizza at 9 months.

Prior to covid, princess room service would bring me cookies and warm milk at bedtime.  Just bring singles to tip the room service.  Also, prior to covid, children under 3 were allowed in the kids club with parental supervision (I have no idea if this is still possible).  The staff was really good with my 2 year old and helped him do the arts and crafts they set aside for the older kids.  There's also nice stuff to climb in the kids club.  If you can sail during the school year, everything is easier.  there are lots fewer kids, so the kids club staff has a lot of time to help young kids.  

Also, if possible arrange for private tours instead of ship tours.  If you can control the itinerary you can stay longer where your child is happy and stop whenever your child gets cranky to feed them (ice cream breaks work wonders).  On the first day, take a diaper bag to the buffett.  Get boxed cereal (if they have boxes), yogurt, and fruit so you always have snacks on hand for the room.  In some ports, you can only take boxed food off the ship ( fruit is always banned because it could carry diseases that can destroy local harvests) so try to have some snacks with you for excursions. Also, if your kid needs to adhere to a schedule strictly, you can feed them in the car back to the ship so they don't take a 10 minute mini nap that cancels their regular nap and turns them into a cranky pants all afternoon (if your kid can handle schedule changes easily, just go with the flow.  My kids went on the kids club schedule, and napped whenever the kids club closed.

Edited by kitkat343

Keep in mind that the OP is sailing in the Med and regulations about taking food off the ship might be less strict.  Open borders in the EU and all that.  Perhaps some members who are from Europe can chime in…. EM

• 2 months later...

How are Princess with taking ready-to-drink milk on board?  Princess has ready to drink milk on board.  Room service, buffet, dining room will all have it.

I sterilise bottles in a microwave, how do we go about this on the ship?  No sterilizing when you have a toddler.  I rinsed sippy cups out in the sink.

How do you bath a baby in the shower cubicle (we have a balcony deluxe stateroom with shower only)?  small blow up bath tub fits nicely and many have a little suction cup to stick it to the wall when not in use.  You can also put on your balcony or pool deck for a little splash time.  

Can highchairs be provided in the dining rooms?  yes

Can pram/strollers be taken on Princess organised excursions (I believe I can use it around the ship)?  You honestly do not want to bring a baby/toddler/child on organized excursions.  Go on your own and enjoy travel with toddler - no museums/shopping stops, more parks, outdoor exploring, ice cream.  Take it from me, there is little that's more miserable than a ship's excursion with a little one.  A private tour doesn't cost that much more and you can stop when you want, go where you want and leave all your gear in the car.