Another Cruise Pogramme

Ray66

"The Cruise" on Channel 5 starting Sunday 19th June at 9pm. 20 episodes which I think will take us till nearly Chirstmas!

Described as a documentary series on board two ships in the Virgin Voyages fleet. First edition is Scarlet Lady at home port of Miami.

Edited by Ray66

So passengers are called Sailors and VIPs in suites are called Rock Stars.

A bit too red, modern and noisy for my liking, but the passengers/Sailors seemed to be enjoying themselves.

• Like 3

Watched Episode 2 yesterday.  Still not overly  impressed  with the ship.  I like comfort in the public areas of ships, and there seemed to be a lot of benches and hard wooden tables on this vessel.

The "red night" (or whatever they called it), supposedly the highlight of the entertainment  seemed very amateurish.

I know Virgin are trying to be a bit different but the captain in a polo shirt and trainers didn't look right to me. 

• Like 2

Have only watched episode one as we like the idea of adults only but the programme put us right off. Will watch ep2 on catch up but i dont think it will change our minds. 

I too dislike casual look of captain and officers, hard to tell them from passengers. 

• Like 2

Virgin seems to tick all the boxes for putting me off cruising.

Everything i don't want is offered.

After starting to watch this I can say I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

Personal taste and all that 🤔

• Like 5

Even on cargo ships were required to wear full uniform during the day. Having said that we were allowed to be less formal when working the midnight to four am watch.

We were also required to wear lomg trousers for evening meals ... even if shorts were the 'rig of the day'.

On a not too dissimilar theme ... has Planet Ctuise TV gone off air completley? It used to be every four weeks but now who knows?

• 2 weeks later...

Have to agree with everyone, my first thought was it was a 18-70 LGBT++++ cruise.  However even just adults only,  it would not be a cruise i would like to go on. Now i like a nice drink, laugh and beer craw but still i wouldnt select that cruise ship. Dont mind the staff dressing down duing the day, nice comfortable working clothes but captain should dress formally, shirt etc when meeting passengers esp at night. The ship its self looked nice from first glance but didnt see much of the outside space or standard rooms. There will be a market for this type of cruise and its good that the cruise lines are becoming more modern but i think they have a very limited target passenger in mind. But hope all who sail on her have fun and enjoy themselves. But its a no from me 😂

Another vote for not sailing with Virgin.

I'm not sure if the production company deliberately edited the show or if the passengers were just that laid back but there was no complaints. Two excursions were ruined; 1 due to a power cut and another due to the family not being told that they could ring for a private shuttle. Both family's did not seem to mind but I would be angry. 

• Like 1

We can't see anything that makes them super different from general cruiselines....bar the buffet thing and having a tattoo parlour. 

We might be their target market (30s professional couple...no kids) although maybe not as we like cruising in general.

Every week we watch it and say the same thing. It is clever branding to what is another cruise line....nothing too different.

Having watched their start-up closely, I already knew that they wouldn't be to my taste but having watched a couple of episodes, the series has absolutely convinced me they aren't. From what I've seen, the standard cabins are a cross between IKEA & Habitat and the open decks very much style over substance.

We watched last nights and its still a no. Didnt show anything different from previous episodes. When ever the outside space is shown by a drone over the top it always looks empty. The corridors outside some of the rooms have that pink/purple light glow, reminds me of public toilets to stop drug taking with needles lol. 

But nice friendly staff and some fun but, now im getting old, too much of a booze cruise. 🤣

Watched the latest episode yesterday.  They're  getting a bit repetitive, doesn't seem to be much different from one episode to the next.

Feels to me that  right from concept stage, someone said "how can we do that differently?" and Virgin tried to make their "difference " evident on everything.

Comes over as very much a party line, especially  with 5 day cruises. 

Some of the featured  staff are really annoying, and I'm glad I won't encounter them.

They also  didn't even mention in passing,  how much the medical attention some guests needed was going to cost them!

• 2 weeks later...

A sensible programme coming up!  5pm on Saturday on Sky Showcase a 6 part series 'Secrets of the Lost Liners'.  A quick look shows episodes dedicated to the Normandie, Queen Elizabeth and SS America among others.

Thanks for the heads up. I would have liked to watch that but unfortunatley don't have Sky.

As for the original programme in this thread, we gave up watching after the second episode.

On 7/19/2022 at 9:01 AM, Sancho_proudfoot said:

They also  didn't even mention in passing,  how much the medical attention some guests needed was going to cost them!

Ah ... but was it medical staff???  It could have been anyone as all the badge said was 'crew' 😁

It reminds me of when I first went to sea ...

QUESTION. Have you read the book 'First Aid At Sea' ?

ANSWER. Yes.

PUNCHLINE. Great ... you are now the ships doctor! 😵💫

Just watched the last episode.  Repetitive again, but it seems to have been the last episode  of the series. 

We're  most definitely  not their target passengers - We're not 30 somethings, noisy in your face types, who like dancing in any available  space.

At least the series gave reasons to strike Virgin off the possibilities list!