Mostly Live From Nieuw Statendam Northern Isles June 22 - July 6

roxybear135

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

roxybear135 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Hi everyone!  I am extremely excited to be going on this cruise, which leaves out of Copenhagen on June 22.  We are flying there tomorrow so we can enjoy a few days in the city before the cruise.  We have a Danish pastry making class and a trip to Tivoli Gardens planned.  I will be posting updates about the cruise whenever I can (not sure how good the wifi will be onboard) and feel free to ask any questions.  I will do my best to answer them.

The cruise goes to Norway, Iceland, and Scotland.

Now it's time to finally pack!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Have a great trip. 

FYI - I am currently on a 12 day Med cruise on Oosterdam. Have it all package internet is ok, but wifi calling is disabled.  We can use WhatsApp calling.

On embarkation day Navigator offered an internet upgrade to Premium for $50 for 12 days.  Since then it has stayed at $50 to upgrade until today when it dropped to $40 for the last 7 days.    If you think you may want to upgrade your internet, then it seems to be better value to do it on day 1.

• Thanks 2

What a great trip you have planned 👍 Hoping you enjoy your time pre-cruise in lovely Copenhagen and have a fantastic cruise!

Looking forward to your reports when you have time (or wifi).

Bon Voyage!  Have a great cruise and a WONDERFUL time !!!!!!

Arrived in Copenhagen! Got to LAX extra early because I was concerned about the crowds but checking in and getting through security was a breeze. The flight left on time and even arrived 45 minutes early. Copenhagen airport was very easy to navigate and we went from landing to getting our bags in about 45 minutes. Now off to the hotel to get some much needed rest! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We did our Covid tests on Emed and thankfully they came back negative. There was no wait for a proctor so that was great. We each had results in less than a minute after finishing. 

We then walked around the Nyhavn area where our hotel is and got dinner. There’s some beautiful buildings in the area that overlook the canal. We also got ice cream and Belgian waffles which were delicious. 

CF8A2D8B-6FE6-4471-90B9-90D15B33D27A.jpeg

07B4B9FC-2EBB-4F6B-9647-F680B1011E97.jpeg

C8D0CB40-6E6B-4815-91AA-A99182D50E61.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, triiip42 said:

Would you mind sharing what hotel you are at and your thoughts on it and its location? We are going to be in Copenhagen in the future for a cruise and are gathering info.

TIA

We are staying at the Copenhagen Admiral Hotel. We just checked in this afternoon but so far are really pleased with it. It’s an extremely clean and comfortable hotel in a great location with tons of restaurants and shops that are very close by. It was easy to get here from the airport on the metro (I think it was 8 stops and about a 10 minute walk). The rooms are very modern despite the building being a converted factory from the 1800s. I definitely recommend it. It was also reasonably priced when we booked. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We did our Danish pastry making class this morning and had a fantastic time. We got to make 4 different pastries: one with almond paste and vanilla custard, one with almond paste and chocolate, one with poppyseeds and sesame seeds, and a cinnamon roll. The class was a lot of fun and informative. I definitely recommend taking it if you like to cook. We booked it through TripAdvisor but you can also book directly through the cooking school. 

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g189541-d12851005-Reviews-Terrible-Copenhagen_Zealand.html

019DE907-495D-4006-B3D9-FAC2B20999AE.jpeg

703BC9F7-AEBF-4BB9-8240-0FA5157FB932.jpeg

D2FFE6A6-169B-4693-A055-91017C20DEBA.jpeg

FD414D4F-2102-4CC6-B878-9AF854E4B5FC.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

16 hours ago, roxybear135 said:

We are staying at the Copenhagen Admiral Hotel. We just checked in this afternoon but so far are really pleased with it. It’s an extremely clean and comfortable hotel in a great location with tons of restaurants and shops that are very close by. It was easy to get here from the airport on the metro (I think it was 8 stops and about a 10 minute walk). The rooms are very modern despite the building being a converted factory from the 1800s. I definitely recommend it. It was also reasonably priced when we booked. 

16 hours ago, triiip42 said:

Would you mind sharing what hotel you are at and your thoughts on it and its location? We are going to be in Copenhagen in the future for a cruise and are gathering info.

TIA

We stayed at the Admiral too!  It ranks as one of my top favourite hotels in the world, but you’ve got to like quirky and history.  Its onsite restaurant and bar are excellent.  As @roxybear135 says, the location is perfect and is in a nice, walkable, area.

• Thanks 2

This morning we checked out of our hotel just before noon and took the metro to Orientkaj. There we grabbed the free shuttle to the cruise terminal. I definitely recommend this because it would have been an extremely long walk otherwise. Look for a yellow bus that stops right at the metro station. 

Check in was a mess and very disorganized. There weren’t clear lines and everyone was just cutting in line and pushing their way in. It took about 30 min to get through it all. Having priority check in didn’t do any good because there was just one massive line to get through for the health check and everyone had to wait in it. 

The ship however is great and right now we are enjoying burgers at the Dine In. The mdr was not open for lunch. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, roxybear135 said:

This morning we checked out of our hotel just before noon and took the metro to Orientkaj. There we grabbed the free shuttle to the cruise terminal. I definitely recommend this because it would have been an extremely long walk otherwise. Look for a yellow bus that stops right at the metro station. 

Check in was a mess and very disorganized. There weren’t clear lines and everyone was just cutting in line and pushing their way in. It took about 30 min to get through it all. Having priority check in didn’t do any good because there was just one massive line to get through for the health check and everyone had to wait in it. 

The ship however is great and right now we are enjoying burgers at the Dine In. The mdr was not open for lunch. 

Thankyou so much for taking the time to complete this blog - so so helpful for those coming behind you!!!!  QQ - did you use VeriFLY  as part of the checkin process and what did the health check entail?

I hope you have an amazing sailaway and cruise!

1 hour ago, GroomsportGirl said:

Thankyou so much for taking the time to complete this blog - so so helpful for those coming behind you!!!!  QQ - did you use VeriFLY  as part of the checkin process and what did the health check entail?

I hope you have an amazing sailaway and cruise!

No we didn’t use it. Everyone we talked to about it complained about it so we figured it was more of a hassle than a help. The health check involves looking at your Covid vaccination record, your test results, and an id to verify your name and picture. I had my Covid test results on my phone and they had no issue with it. 

• Thanks 1

We’re having dinner at Pinnacle tonight and it’s extremely empty (only about 5 tables filled). Service has been friendly and attentive. The clothesline bacon was delicious and I highly recommend this. 

We found out from our waiter that there are 1586 passengers on board. The place feels very empty everywhere we walk. We heard from some women who were on the previous cruise (doing a B2B) that the last cruise only had 800 passengers. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, roxybear135 said:

No we didn’t use it. Everyone we talked to about it complained about it so we figured it was more of a hassle than a help. The health check involves looking at your Covid vaccination record, your test results, and an id to verify your name and picture. I had my Covid test results on my phone and they had no issue with it. 

Great, thanks!

I was interested to hear about Verifly in Copenhagen, too.  Someone on another thread also mentioned they didn't ask to see it, and it didn't enable anyone having it to "jump the queue".  DH doesn't plan to use it, when we board NS next month.