first class seat alert

Hawaiidan

Ok...    just a heads up on seat quaality  since so many are flying domestic in 737's  un most airlines.    Just took 5 flights od 1  t0 5 hours duration  and discovered to my chagrin  that  737 900  and 800's   firstt class seats are hard as bricks...  in fact  even coach seats on the new stuff is like sitting on concrete.    Older 300-400-600 and 700's models are way better.    The older the plane the better the seat so it pays to know your model !!   

An  economy coach, not premium  coach seat, on a 757, 767, 777,  are all way more comfy than a first class in a 737-800/900 !!!     

My back is still killing me after 5 hours from anchorage to Denver !     Dont waste your $$$ on the FC  on newer planes.      However  spend it for Emb 175's, 787, 757  767 777 and A-320 and 319's!  

Polaris is gold standard seating on any UA product.. buy, bargin or kill for one ...... see below.) 

P2130563.jpg

Love my DL One seats and looking forward to using one again late July.

I fly DL or AA first/business and it's not all about the particular comfort of each seat...some better than others I've found. For us it's the class of service so we'll make do.

Thanks for you input and sorry you had so much discomfort...feel better.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2022 at 3:51 PM, GeezerCouple said:

Yes, Hawaiidan, kindly share which airline you were flying!

(If you mentioned it, I'm missing it.)

GC

United....   Ive put several million  seat miles under my belt  with a host of airlines AA-SWISS-Luft- Air can, ANA -hawaiian- LOT- delta     

My worst experience was on AA. horrrible service start to finish  and ANA  ( seat like bricks)

Best on UA.     Business / first on  LUFT A340 380's  and UA 787-10's Polaris class... excellent   Polaris class to me is everything I need.  I do not fly Gulf  states airlines..not an oil shiek.   

The new crop of 737's  which are being used now  on trans con and even to hawaii has ushered in a new crop of seats Since UA has the largest  fleet  and fly the most places and I felt most  fly them.

A quick note the 787's have the best jet lag prevention due to the higher cabin humidity and lower cabin altitude.   It really has  a very real effect.

On 6/18/2022 at 8:52 AM, SDHusker said:

Don't blame the model, blame the airline that spec'd the seats.

ya' you can   the newer the model aircraft  the newer and the more "economic" the seats  they have installed.. 

Older planes have older seats built with different asthetics in mind    Go to seat guru   to read  reviews of every plane every airline  every class     and use youtube  to see video of not only seat but service for your self.

20 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

ya' you can   the newer the model aircraft  the newer and the more "economic" the seats  they have installed.. 

Older planes have older seats built with different asthetics in mind    Go to seat guru   to read  reviews of every plane every airline  every class     and use youtube  to see video of not only seat but service for your self.

And who do you think picks the "newer and more economic seats"  - the airline.

my point is  that all airlines are  going to have newer less friendly seats on the newer, mainly 737's  as  along with the  new planes came the "new generation" of seats available   from Boeing. unlike past years     For anyone who orders a plane. !!!   

Airbus and Embre seem to fare much better  the EMB 175 is a jewel.

33 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

as  along with the  new planes came the "new generation" of seats available   from Boeing. unlike past years

But Boeing doesn't make seats. Boeing fits the seats that other companies make. The customer (the airline) chooses which other company to make the seats. So if newer seats are less comfortable, it's because the airline has chosen them, rather than because of which aircraft type the seats are going into.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Globaliser said:

But Boeing doesn't make seats. Boeing fits the seats that other companies make. The customer (the airline) chooses which other company to make the seats. So if newer seats are less comfortable, it's because the airline has chosen them, rather than because of which aircraft type the seats are going into.

Again.... newer planes  made by anyone   choose from available new generation seats  by many manufacturers, most of which are, year after year becoming less comfy and trending to weight and how many  you can pack in..  thats what the airlines have to choose from and want...... thats all  I was pointing out    The choices from seat manufacture for all but lie flat ultra prem product's, is going to the "dark side" for economy on newer planes because thats what the airlines want....   

AND lets be realistic  domestic First class is coach with free drinks.    Euro airlines already use coach seats in  euro service first class...  blocking the middle seat....

53 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

When I have flown domestic First Class, the seats are most certainly different than seats in Coach.  

not by much amigo.....  4 more inches pitch, 3" more recline 2 more inches wider........ that dosen't cut it for me....     What carrrier?      Euro first domestic is  row or 3 with the mid blocked.   US not much better... Now, there are some older planes hat might be some what better but with the 737 craze going on your going to be in for a rude suprise...

3 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

not by much amigo.....  4 more inches pitch, 3" more recline 2 more inches wider........ that dosen't cut it for me....     What carrrier? 

I'll take whatever I can get after years of flying in Coach!  Carrier is Delta.  Whatever plane their regional carrier uses for flights from MSP and DTW to DAY that has First Class, it's a heck of a lot better than those regional carrier flights once were when there was no First Class.  

I have mostly had lousy economy seats but have actually had some decent ones on short flights.  As said above the pitch, width, materials and padding are selected by the airline and varies by airline.  It is not a Boeing issue 

6 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Again.... newer planes  made by anyone   choose from available new generation seats  by many manufacturers, most of which are, year after year becoming less comfy and trending to weight and how many  you can pack in..  thats what the airlines have to choose from and want...... thats all  I was pointing out    The choices from seat manufacture for all but lie flat ultra prem product's, is going to the "dark side" for economy on newer planes because thats what the airlines want....   

AND lets be realistic  domestic First class is coach with free drinks.    Euro airlines already use coach seats in  euro service first class...  blocking the middle seat....

You realize that the seat that came from the factory at delivery quite likely won't last anywhere near the life of the plane. Airlines switch seats regularly...

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

I have mostly had lousy economy seats but have actually had some decent ones on short flights.  As said above the pitch, width, materials and padding are selected by the airline and varies by airline.  It is not a Boeing issue 

except that any airline when ordering seats for a New aircraft  is going to be looking at the NEW generation seats that are in vogue.     Hence   newer planes   newer seat modled      and the new seats for the  most part are not great for the customer.

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

I'll take whatever I can get after years of flying in Coach!  Carrier is Delta.  Whatever plane their regional carrier uses for flights from MSP and DTW to DAY that has First Class, it's a heck of a lot better than those regional carrier flights once were when there was no First Class.  

It pays to know the aircraft   the CRJ and RJ used  are all cramped...  the Emb 175  now coming on line offers some steller first class  wort

3 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

You realize that that seat that came from the factory at delivery quite likely won't last anywhere near the life of the plane. Airlines switch seats regularly...

and  my point is it appears that each newer generation seat is getting worse...I mean more value  conscious  to the airline...  cheaper, more bare bones each year for domestic  service     The international  seats are the money and competition  against foreign carriers......  trying to get the  people from Cotati to fly  then. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:
13 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

When I have flown domestic First Class, the seats are most certainly different than seats in Coach.  

not by much amigo.....  4 more inches pitch, 3" more recline 2 more inches wider........ that dosen't cut it for me....

This is just like "What have the Romans ever done for us?"

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Globaliser said:

This is just like "What have the Romans ever done for us?"

They actually have done quite a lot.  

I understand your point.  I don't disagree that some of those regional jets are not the most comfortable in which to fly.  But, First Class seats beat Coach seats particularly on a cramped feeling plane in my experience.  

Edited by rkacruiser

8 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

They actually have done quite a lot.  

I understand your point.  I don't disagree that some of those regional jets are not the most comfortable in which to fly.  But, First Class seats beat Coach seats particularly on a cramped feeling plane in my experience.  

First class beats coach every day, in my experience,  and I fly both. Like the trip I am on right now...coach both ways. Mostly I fly first.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

First class beats coach every day, in my experience,  and I fly both. Like the trip I am on right now...coach both ways. Mostly I fly first.

generally. you would think......  but the ua 737 8 max out of ANC the other day 5 hours   I was unable to get comfortable  till a 757-300  friggen coach seat felt like heaven to SFO.    

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

generally. you would think......  but the ua 737 8 max out of ANC the other day 5 hours   I was unable to get comfortable  till a 757-300  friggen coach seat felt like heaven to SFO.    

This thought is not going to sit well with many.  But, it's mine and you are free to take aim at it.

We need regulation of the airlines just like we once had.  From every aspect--services from all airports where local taxpayers were convinced to vote for the concept to sell bonds to help pay for their local airport (DAY as an example) to be an international airport is just an example.  When the airlines were regulated, flying was an enjoyable experience.  Dinner on an AA flight from Day to LGA in Coach was my first experience.  My middle seat of three in the last row of the 727 on the right side of the plane was comfortable.  TWA L-1011 non-stop service from LAX to DAY with a return flight with an intermediary stop in Indianapolis as a another example of pre-deregulation. 

Is this progress for the benefit the benefit of the traveling public?  Cheaper fares?  Yes.  Chaos at the airports?  Yes.  

Like many, many decisions that come out of our Nation's Capitol, there are unintended consequences.    

I agree 100%. We need airline regulation to ensure reliable services and seating that doesn’t cause pain. The airlines in the US have shrunk seats in economy and crammed people into a sardine can. In the event of an emergency, many would not be able to exit. The first class seats I now book are no better than coach used to be — in fact not as good. Nor long ago, US airlines pulled hundreds of flights. Then last weekend about 3500 were cancelled. Not for weather, but for lack of staffing. This is criminal, and the real reason why we have no cruises booked at the moment. Even with a planned overnight at embarkation port, there us too much risk of missing the cruise.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

We need airline regulation to ensure reliable services and seating that doesn’t cause pain. The airlines in the US have shrunk seats in economy and crammed people into a sardine can. In the event of an emergency, many would not be able to exit. The first class seats I now book are no better than coach used to be — in fact not as good.

AIUI, there is already (and always has been) regulation of minimum seat size/space. So a proposal to regulate "seating that doesn't cause pain" doesn't seem likely to change anything.

Plus I doubt there's any realistic chance of regulation of a different minimum seat size/space for "first class", however that is defined.

11 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

Then last weekend about 3500 were cancelled. Not for weather, but for lack of staffing. This is criminal ...

Regulation is definitely not going to achieve anything here. If airlines don't have enough staff, the flights are not going to operate. Regulation can't create more staff out of thin air.

• Like 5