Rental scooter insurance

Hello, I'm Jo from the UK. I need to rent a scooter from Scootaround for my Caribbean cruise next March (2023) and I could do with some help and advice regarding their insurance. Is it worth it, do I need none of it, some of it or all of it? the difference adds either £33/$40 or £65/$80. Anyone know any details regarding the fine print, excesses and exclusions? 

Many thanks 

Jo

1 hour ago, Jojogingerwood said:

Hello, I'm Jo from the UK. I need to rent a scooter from Scootaround for my Caribbean cruise next March (2023) and I could do with some help and advice regarding their insurance. Is it worth it, do I need none of it, some of it or all of it? the difference adds either £33/$40 or £65/$80. Anyone know any details regarding the fine print, excesses and exclusions? 

Many thanks 

Jo

It is hard to value such insurance coverage - are those per day coverages, and what do they cover?  The figures seem high.  

As an aside, most Caribbean islands are right-side driving, while I guess you are left side.  Unless you are a very experienced scooter/motorcycle rider, I would strongly advise against such rental in a very different environment. Caribbean roads are narrow, frequently pot-holed, and largely populated by drivers who make Rome’s taxi drivers seem deferential.

Edited by navybankerteacher

18 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

It is hard to value such insurance coverage - are those per day coverages, and what do they cover?  The figures seem high.  

As an aside, most Caribbean islands are right-side driving, while I guess you are left side.  Unless you are a very experienced scooter/motorcycle rider, I would strongly advise against such rental in a very different environment. Caribbean roads are narrow, frequently pot-holed, and largely populated by drivers who make Rome’s taxi drivers seem deferential.

I think I may  have mislead you when I said scooter I was referring to a Mobility Scooter. Although I can imagine myself bombing around at 3mph dodging potholes. Thank your for taking the time to answer I appreciate that. 

Jo

I think the best scooter advice can be had on the board here for Disabled Cruising, located under Special Interest Cruising.  Have you been back to your thread on the MSC board to at least tell us which ship you are on?  EM

7 hours ago, Jojogingerwood said:

Many thanks 

Jo

@Jojogingerwood

Howdy Jo emo22.gif

Your thread has been moved to the Disabled Cruise Travel forum where it will be on-topic. It is where cruisers with physical limitations share their advice & experiences. Browse through the thread titles on this forum and l👀k for ones of interest. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that will be of interest to you.

Hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

20 hours ago, Jojogingerwood said:

I think I may  have mislead you when I said scooter I was referring to a Mobility Scooter. Although I can imagine myself bombing around at 3mph dodging potholes. Thank your for taking the time to answer I appreciate that. 

Jo

I clearly jumped to a delusion.

• Haha 1

We have rented from Scootaround many, many times.   We have never bought their insurance.   In my opinion there are just too many exclusions and deductibles.   And we never rent the scooter until 10 days or so prior to our cruise date.  

You may need an accessible room, if you don't already have one.  Scooters cannot be parked in the hallways.  Your cruise line will have an Access Department (or something similar) and they will probably request that you complete a form indicating you will have a scooter.  You can go to your cruise line's website and find contact information for this department.  

If you rent from Scootaround, try using code USCRUISE for a 15% discount.   This is from United Spinal Association.  You might actually have to contact Scootaround and ask them to apply this discount if their website will not allow you to enter it.   

Attached is directly from Scootaround's website: 

001.jpg

002.jpg