canceled Alaska cruises

ewildcat7

Positive cases of COVID also contribute to staffing shortages. Even though illness is mild, too many cases contribute to staff having to isolate for 5 days. Too many people coming on tours, and not enough people to accommodate them. Also, they have a lot of staff having to deal with positive cases from passengers. They have at least three hotels filled with quarantined people in Anchorage.

If the CDC drops the pre-cruise testing mandate (I hear they are considering it), that could change everything.  If there is no mandatory testing, then there will be significantly fewer positive cases requiring quarantine. 

I am NOT suggesting that dropping the test mandate is a good or a bad thing, just passing along news.

• Like 3

On 6/24/2022 at 2:54 PM, Btimmer said:

We're leaving Monday, 6/27 for a triple Denali starting 6/28, and I confirmed with my TA earlier this week that all is still a go.  So, we're ready to head on out early Monday morning.

We were canceled on this exact trip?  Let us know how it was We were notified 2 weeks ago and got our refund yesterday.  

• 2 weeks later...

I’m no longer seeing our D3C trip listed on the HAL website.This is a 14 day double Denali, departing Vancouver on the 31st of July on the NA.  It’s not listed as sold out - has simply disappeared.

Looking at what Alaskan cruise tours are listed, it looks like the cruise is still going ahead, which is reassuring. So, I’m wondering if we will end up with a shorter land option, or just what is going on.  We’re left to speculate, and ask questions. Thanks HAL 😕

Edited by TheLizardHouse

Call HAL and speak with a live person.  They can tell you the time of your trains, your Tundra Wilderness Tour in Denali, Etc.  If the tour has been cancelled, they would be able to verify that also.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, TheLizardHouse said:

I’m no longer seeing our D3C trip listed on the HAL website.This is a 14 day double Denali, departing Vancouver on the 31st of July on the NA.  It’s not listed as sold out - has simply disappeared.

Looking at what Alaskan cruise tours are listed, it looks like the cruise is still going ahead, which is reassuring. So, I’m wondering if we will end up with a shorter land option, or just what is going on.  We’re left to speculate, and ask questions. Thanks HAL 😕

They have done this with other cruise tours. They are probably at capacity and take it down from their website so others don’t try to book it. They are having staffing issues and huge COVID problems. We were caught up in that issue ourselves. Please be safe and take care so you can finish the land portion and others are able to test negative and make their cruise. 

• Thanks 1

Our Alaska Cruisetour (departing July 23 on the Koningsdam) is also off the website now ... doesn't even appear in the "sold out" category.  They keep sending updates about testing, our airport transfer and flight times so I'm not (too) worried.  But yes, if you are worried - definitely call!

1 hour ago, Gistfamily said:

We are on the Zuiderdam on Aug 20th. Land tour starts on Aug. 10th. Has any one heard anything about this being cancelled???

I am the week after and I find it curious that HAL ticketed my air a full 2 months in advance.   The ticketing is usually 30 days out.  I am assuming that means they are good to go.   Someone in this thread or similar indicated all decisions would be made by July 1.  I think unless something new happens we are good to go