NCL AIR QUESTIONS ~ Would appreciate any input

Hello All ~ we are looking to book the Joy out of Miami in the Spring of 2023.  Just wondering a few things about using NCL air since it's currently one of the perks when booking.  We will be flying from the North East US to Florida.

1.  Does NCL use specific airlines?

2.  Are you able to choose seats?

3.  Does NCL book direct flights if available?

4.  Will they sit us (two people) together?

5.  If you don't like the time of the flight, can you change it?

I did a false booking and the cost was great for the first person, but still not sure if it's worth it?  Thanks for any input.

We just got our flight info today for a July 14th cruise.

We are booked on Alaska Airlines.

We did not pick our seats but they were together. I was able to upgrade on the AA website to premium economy for one of the flights. 
My flights are nonstop from FL to the west coast and we leave at 9am for a same day cruise and have a red eye flight back the day we get off the ship. Hopefully there is no delays getting there.

The answers have been discussed at length in previous threads but I guess it's been a while so...

2 hours ago, vadersprincess12 said:

1.  Does NCL use specific airlines?

For US domestic flights I think they generally stick with Delta, AA and United.

2.  Are you able to choose seats?

Depends on the airline but I was able to do so on Delta and AA

3.  Does NCL book direct flights if available?

This is explained in the T&C's of the promotion. https://www.ncl.com/about/terms-and-conditions/promotions

4.  Will they sit us (two people) together?

They will book the tickets without regard to seat assignment within the fare type, it's then up to you to pick your seats if you have a preference once you have the record locators.  You can also use points/loyalty with the airline to upgrade to a better cabin location, or even pay for an upgrade if you so choose.

5.  If you don't like the time of the flight, can you change it?

Nope.  Once they ticket you it's locked in.

1 hour ago, CocoCruiser9640 said:

Don't use them!!!! 

That's your opinion based on your experience.  My experience was positive, and I would take the offer again.  Would I do it right now with the volatile nature of the air industry with pilot shortages and lots of cancellations?  Nope, I wouldn't.

• Like 1

Just to add, if you don't already know you may request a deviation to arrive one (or maybe two?) days early.  I believe that they used to charge a bit ($25?) for that but when we booked a few months ago they were actually giving a credit for the deviation.

2 minutes ago, Karaboudjan said:

Just to add, if you don't already know you may request a deviation to arrive one (or maybe two?) days early. 

That's covered in the T&C's I linked, but they didn't read it before posting so I guess they wouldn't at this time either...

They only give a deviation credit because you have to find your own transportation to and from the port. I have air on one of my upcoming reservations bur will be canceling it before final payment. I wanted to spend more time post cruise in Israel so only booked the precruise flight with Ncl. I found reasonable open jaw airfare and will have control over my reservation. I had a bad experience with a cruise line flight ten years ago. You think I would have learned my lesson. Look carefully at what you can book directly. Use Google flights, skyscanner and Kayak.

13 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

They only give a deviation credit because you have to find your own transportation to and from the port. I have air on one of my upcoming reservations bur will be canceling it before final payment. I wanted to spend more time post cruise in Israel so only booked the precruise flight with Ncl. I found reasonable open jaw airfare and will have control over my reservation. I had a bad experience with a cruise line flight ten years ago. You think I would have learned my lesson. Look carefully at what you can book directly. Use Google flights, skyscanner and Kayak.

NCL transfers are no bargain, so it's probably not going to cost you anything extra to arrange your own transportation.  

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from Greek Island cruise. Cruise was great but getting there and back from New Orleans was not great! Air was booked through NCL, $1249 which seemed like a good deal for 2 round trip New Orleans to Venice, Italy. Was originally booked on United -  New Orleans to Washington DC, then Brussels airline to Brussels Belgium (8 hour flight) and Brussels airline to Venice. Seats were assigned. Wanted to upgrade seats on the 8 hour flight but could not do it online. Called Brussels airline and given a price of $50 each to upgrade to preferred seats for the 8 hour flight and $20 each for the second flight to Venice. Total of $140 which I paid. A few days later got an email from Brussels air saying that they changed our seats a few rows back on the 8 hour flight. After looking online the new seats were included in the original fare. Now the Price for the preferred seats on the second flight showed a total charge of $140 instead of $40! Called Brussels airline 3 times and was finally told I had to submit a claim for reimbursement via email. which I did. No reply for several days, so I called back thinking I had the wrong email address. This agent said I would get a refund of $100 in 4-6 weeks. Brussels flights got cancelled and was booked on British Airways, New Orleans to London then to Venice, only 2 flights which I did not mind even if I lost the $40. On June 24, got email from Brussels "As we have checked that this booking was made through a travel agency, we request you to contact them directly for refunds." NCL did book the flights but not the upgraded seats.

Be aware, I don't think that payments for upgraded seats are refundable, which I have had happen before with a cancelled American Airlines flight. That is not totally the case here as they cancelled my seats not me before they cancelled the flight. Sorry for the long post! The return flights via Air Canada was even worse. 36 hours from Venice to New Orleans!  Missed flights in Montreal so had hotel stay then missed flight in Denver causing another hotel stay! Not sure of how to submit claim. I think I have to submit claim to the airline, then Insurance for what they don't cover. About $800 extra charges for taxi's and hotels charges! 

2 hours ago, Cowboy296 said:

I said it was 36 hours to get back home! Guess I was still having jet lag! It was 60 hours! 2 AM New Orleans time on Sunday til 2PM on Tuesday.

Thanks for sharing. Flying to Lisbon in December, have the buy one get one air promo, but I think I’ll book my own air.  If you read the fine print I think they are allowed 2/3 connections.  No thanks. 

59 minutes ago, RosieRoo said:

If you read the fine print I think they are allowed 2/3 connections.  No thanks. 

I posted a link to that "fine print" earlier in this thread - international flights are booked with a max of 2 connections if schedules permit.

This begs the question -- assuming one hasn't gone past the "pay by" date, can we contact NCL and tell them to deep-six the airfare plan if I can find one that I prefer to buy on my own (even if it costs a bit more, but I'd have control of main cabin instead of economy, decent flight times, etc)?

I believe you can make ANY airfare changes as long as you're more than 75 days prior to sailing, which is the deadline for requesting a deviation of 1-2 days.  For sure you should be able to make the change before final payment.

I'm not sure but it MAY trigger a re-fare.  I don't see why it should, but there's a chance.