Star Flyer, Venice to Athens, September 7-17, 2022

Ben2travel

• 1 month later...

I'm not on this cruise, but I am wondering where you will be embarking, as I know all the major cruise ships cannot board in Venice proper anymore, so most are embarking in Trieste or Ravenna nowadays. I was wondering if the Star Flyer might be small enough to be exempted and allowed to embark in Venice proper? I would strongly consider a Star Clippers sailing over other cruise lines if they are able to embark in Venice proper, as the sail into and out of Venice are spectacular. Let me know?

Thanks!

Hi,

I am still waiting to receive my boarding papers, but the information I received with my confirmation notice said that embarkation is at Venezia Terminal San Basilio.  I will let you know if I find out anything differently.

Ok, I did a little research and found a Washington Post article (dated 7/13/21) which said the following:

The ban applies to ships of more than 25,000 tons. The massive cruise ships that have sailed into Venice’s harbor can be nearly four times that weight.

According the the StarClipper website, the Star Flyer is 2,298 tons, so we should be fine.

• Like 1

Have you ever been on a Clipper  cruise before.  We are doing our 1st Star Flyer cruise but in the Greek Islands.  If you  have done a Clipper Cruise before, do you have any thoughts you can pass on about the ship.

DON

13 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Have you ever been on a Clipper  cruise before.  We are doing our 1st Star Flyer cruise but in the Greek Islands.  If you  have done a Clipper Cruise before, do you have any thoughts you can pass on about the ship.

DON

No, this is our first Star Clipper cruise and we’re very excited. Only been waiting for four years for this to happen!  Happy travels.

22 hours ago, Ben2travel said:

Hi,

I am still waiting to receive my boarding papers, but the information I received with my confirmation notice said that embarkation is at Venezia Terminal San Basilio.  I will let you know if I find out anything differently.

All the boarding paperwork comes as an email now.  You only have to print out a few things.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2022 at 1:35 PM, donaldsc said:

DON

I have, and loved it. We did a 4-night - Athens - Santorini - Mykonos - Hydra - Athens. It was incredible! Be sure to get up and on deck on the sail into the caldera at Santorini.

On 8/19/2022 at 12:27 PM, Ben2travel said:

Ok, I did a little research and found a Washington Post article (dated 7/13/21) which said the following:

The ban applies to ships of more than 25,000 tons. The massive cruise ships that have sailed into Venice’s harbor can be nearly four times that weight.

According the the StarClipper website, the Star Flyer is 2,298 tons, so we should be fine.

Thanks!

On 8/19/2022 at 8:22 PM, Ben2travel said:

Hi,

I have sailed into/out of Venice with Star Clippers several times. The ship docks at the small "stazione marittima" on tha Canale Della Guidecca adjacent to the R di San Basilio, not at the main docks used by the big ships.

1 hour ago, Denarius said:

I have sailed into/out of Venice with Star Clippers several times. The ship docks at the small "stazione marittima" on tha Canale Della Guidecca adjacent to the R di San Basilio, not at the main docks used by the big ships.

Thank you.  I finally did get some information from SC.