Cobh?? Maybe NOT the port stop?

Ombud

On our roll call someone just posted that our 'real' port is Ringaskiddy not Cobh. So how do I get to the Heritage Centre in Cobh for a walking tour? Is there anything to do in  Ringaskiddy?? Can I get to Kinsdale from there?? 

Ringaskiddy is at the opposite side of Cork Harbour to Cobh.

There is absolutely nothing in Ringaskiddy.  It is a deep water dock and ferry terminal.  You should ask your cruise line if they are providing shuttle busses to Cork.  There are very limited connections to anywhere from Ringaskiddy.

Ringaskiddy is closer to Kinsale than Cobh is, but you would need a car to get there.

1037086712_Screenshot2022-06-19122937.jpg.392aab0ffbfbed0bd8a9256072aae5c9.jpg

This link will take you to the port of cork website for details of where individual cruise ships will dock.

https://www.portofcork.ie/index.cfm/page/cruiseschedule2010

Ok, I am currently on a Med cruise and will be back home next week.  I will call Port of Cork offices next week  and see if there are shuttle buses provided or what happens.  I will post back here when I get a reply.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you. Enjoy your cruise!!

You do not want me renting a car there and I can't find Ringaskiddy or Cobh listed on uber. Apparently taxis would be €50 each way. Right now I'm trying to figure out if these places are walkable from both ports:

Doyle Shipping said:

"If you can make your way to Glenbrook then there is a ferry service from Glenbrookk (Passage West) to Cobh (Carrigaloe) every 10 mins per Cross River Ferries"

So can I walk to Glenbrook Ferry Terminal and from Carrigaloe Ferry Terminal to Cobh Heritage Centre or am I back to square one?

My Cruise Vacation Planner said:

"The 2 piers are only 3 miles apart" (she knows I'm a walker & 3 miles is nothing on land)

Edited by Ombud

14 hours ago, Ombud said:

So can I walk to Glenbrook Ferry Terminal and from Carrigaloe Ferry Terminal to Cobh Heritage Centre or am I back to square one?

Let me check with Cork Port office first.  One of the difficulties, pre covid, was that cruisers were not permitted to walk around the docking area (industrial area) and taxis/private tour buses were not permitted to access the docking area either.  So cruisers options were either a ship arranged tour, or stay onboard.

• Thanks 1

We were at Ringaskenny last week as part of a Celebrity Apex Cruise. It is a very industrial port with not much around it.  Celebrity offered a "Cork on your own day" for $50.00 a day with a shuttle service and then 4 or 5 hours in Cork. There were limited cabs that were allowed into the port for pick up and there was an extensive taxi line for pick up. 

We ended up taking the Public Bus that was picked up across the street from the Port for euro 2.70 which got us into Cork in about 50 minutes. We ended up then catching the Bus to Kinsale for 7.00 Euro making the trip about 1 hour and 50 minutes each way.  (If you can try to get the bus that goes to Cork Airport and then transfer from there which we did on the way back...much faster). We ended up getting into Kinsale at 11:00 AM, and did the 11:15 AM Walking Tour (Barry and Don Walking Tour- Absolute Wonderful- Highly recommend) and then walked around Kinsale for about a half an hour and worked our way back to the boat by 3:00 PM (3:30 sail away). 

We love Kinsale and we had a great time but it was a little stressful as the Irish Bus System was not as precise as in Switzerland with many delays from the posted time on Google Maps. We would also recommend going through Cork Airport as there were taxis available there and less than 10 miles from the ship in case time becomes an issue. 

Talking to other people on the boat there were issues getting taxis both from the port and also getting taxis to return to Ringaskenny in the afternoon. There was a Princess ship in port at Cobn at the same time so there could have been a supply/demand issue. 

Overall, if you are a seasoned traveler that is comfortable with the public bus it is doable but a little stressful and more work. The majority of the shore excursions were to the Blarney Castle which was not interesting to me. 

If I am not too late to chime in, the ship really should provide shuttles, as Ringaskiddy is really out of the way. Not at 50 Euro though, that's outrageous. If you get a bus into town, as Ja9Clay mentioned, there are frequent trains to Cobh, and you'll be right in the Queenstown Experience. The 225 goes right to the train station. Otherwise, the 223 bus will take you to Glenbook for the cross river ferry, but you will need to walk on the other side. Info on buses from buseireann.ie if you need it. 

The 225 bus takes 1 hour to go from the DWB gates to Cork Kent Station (rail station for train to Cobh).  I have posted a link for the timetable.

Arriving at 7.30, you would have to push to catch the 8.27 bus, which arrives to Cork Kent at 9.20.  Next train to Cobh is 10.00am which arrives in Cobh 10.26.

To return to the ship you need to catch the 3.30 pm train to arrive back to Cork at 3.55 pm to connect to the 4.20 pm bus which arrives to Ringaskiddy at 5.20pm  (the next bus is too late, presuming a 6pm all aboard).

I am still waiting for a response from the Port of Cork regarding a shuttle bus and access to the port area.

https://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=406&form-view-timetables-from=&form-view-timetables-to=&form-view-timetables-route=225&form-view-timetables-submit=1

Cork - Cobh train:

https://www.irishrail.ie/IrishRail/media/Timetable-PDF-s/Heuston-timetables/13_mallow_cobh_midleton.pdf

20 hours ago, loving goldens said:

Interesting.  We just booked with butlers shore tours for blarney castle and kinisel and couple stops picked up right at RINGASKIDDY...half hour after docking... sorry for my spelling.  Lol

We used butler tours pre-pandemic and were extremely pleased with the tour. Kinsale was lovely and we went for fish and chips right where the bus let us off. 
there was not time to climb blarney castle as too many tourist and long lines - maybe it will be different when you go. We had a nice time walking around and then shopping at the different stores

On 7/6/2022 at 8:31 PM, loving goldens said:

nteresting.  We just booked with butlers shore tours for blarney castle and kinisel and couple stops picked up right at RINGASKIDDY...half hour after docking... sorry for my spelling.  Lol

Were these open tours or private ones, as I only see private guided tours?

9 hours ago, Slyfox16 said:

9 hours ago, Slyfox16 said:

They are opened  tours...Butlers Shore Tours...Blarney castle and Kinsale full tour.. the half day is not available on our date...  🙂

15 hours ago, paulandjoyce said:

We used butler tours pre-pandemic and were extremely pleased with the tour. Kinsale was lovely and we went for fish and chips right where the bus let us off. 
there was not time to climb blarney castle as too many tourist and long lines - maybe it will be different when you go. We had a nice time walking around and then shopping at the different stores

This is great to Hear!!! Thank you...They have great reviews on tripadvisor....   🙂