Could a CDC change to pre-cruise testing requirements be coming soon?

The following are some interesting entries in the Cruise Hive article posted today.

It has been a week since the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) dropped the requirement for international travelers to present a negative COVID-19 test before flying into the United States, yet no progress has yet been made on a similar stricture being dropped for cruise travelers.

How is cruise travel different, and what options may be available to ease testing requirements for cruise travelers? The CDC has stated that the situation is being reevaluated and changes may soon be forthcoming.

A possible option is for testing requirements to be maintained for unvaccinated passengers, or those who are not “up to date” on COVID-19 vaccines with the appropriate booster shots.

Guests who are vaccinated might then be able to forgo the pre-cruise testing, particularly since the approved vaccines have proven effective at minimizing symptoms and severity of the illness, preventing more severe complications that would be difficult to deal with onboard a cruise ship.

The CDC Is Reevaluating Testing for Cruise Ships, Are Changes Coming? (cruisehive.com)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Makes sense to me with today's vaccines and therapeutics.  Wholesale testing of people of people who are not sick is starting to defy common sense and scientific logic. 

However, with the CDC's love of "an overabundance of caution" it'll be a wonder if they don't "recommend" testing for norovirus, the entire range of the coronavirus family (better known as the annual flu) and the common cold. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

IMHO the day of no pre-boarding testing for those fully vaccinated is not far away, as well as all b2b testing.  I would not be surprised that when they do eliminate the pre-boarding testing, the CDC will require a booster to be "fully" vaccinated.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Testing on the second cruise of a B2B isn't a CDC requirement. Several cruise lines have already stopped testing for B2B second cruises.

Viking has already stopped,  on a limited basis, testing for newly arriving pax.

We’re definitely hoping Princess has stopped the B2B testing as we’re getting ready to board the Regal in the Med on a 21 day cruise, which is comprised of three 7 day cruises, and really don’t want the stress of dealing with those anymore. We’ve already been on 4 B2B cruises since the restart, and always tested negative. But we’d definitely enjoy those tests continuing to disappear, especially if you’re not demonstrating any symptoms 

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We’re definitely hoping Princess has stopped the B2B testing as we’re getting ready to board the Regal in the Med on a 21 day cruise, which is comprised of three 7 day cruises, and really don’t want the stress of dealing with those anymore. We’ve already been on 4 B2B cruises since the restart, and always tested negative. But we’d definitely enjoy those tests continuing to disappear, especially if you’re not demonstrating any symptoms 

Where’s your b2b’s in Civitavecchia?

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Sailings from Europe b2b’s

UPDATED: Will I be able to book multiple cruises, back-to-back?

Yes, guests can book back-to-back voyages, subject to availability.

Guests ages five and above on back-to-back voyages will need to take a complimentary rapid antigen test within two days of the following voyage, where the following voyage includes a transocean voyage or full Panama Canal transit and the itinerary is 10 days or more.

Guests who test positive for COVID-19 will be denied boarding on the next voyage, together with their family members and close contacts who are not fully vaccinated. If you, your family members, travel companions or other close contacts are suspected of having COVID-19, you are entitled to a 100% Future Cruise Credit (FCC).

We will closely monitor guidance from government and health authorities and will adapt and evolve this policy accordingly.

4 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Where’s your b2b’s in Civitavecchia?

Sailings from Europe b2b’s

UPDATED: Will I be able to book multiple cruises, back-to-back?

Yes, guests can book back-to-back voyages, subject to availability.

Guests ages five and above on back-to-back voyages will need to take a complimentary rapid antigen test within two days of the following voyage, where the following voyage includes a transocean voyage or full Panama Canal transit and the itinerary is 10 days or more.

Guests who test positive for COVID-19 will be denied boarding on the next voyage, together with their family members and close contacts who are not fully vaccinated. If you, your family members, travel companions or other close contacts are suspected of having COVID-19, you are entitled to a 100% Future Cruise Credit (FCC).

We will closely monitor guidance from government and health authorities and will adapt and evolve this policy accordingly.

Our embarkation port is Barcelona, with the first transition port being Civitavecchia and our second transition port being Athens, and finally returning to Barcelona 21 days later.

I like this entry:

Are there any published valid statistics regarding the transmissibility, or illness severity differences between having three, two, one or no boosters?  I’m all for dropping all testing of any asymptomatic individual regardless of vaccination status. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

Are there any published valid statistics regarding the transmissibility, or illness severity differences between having three, two, one or no boosters?  I’m all for dropping all testing of any asymptomatic individual regardless of vaccination status. 

If you do an internet search on “COVID severity if unvaccinated”, you will get a bunch of articles. Choose the one(s) you feel most comfortable with, as there are plenty.

42 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Our embarkation port is Barcelona, with the first transition port being Civitavecchia and our second transition port being Athens, and finally returning to Barcelona 21 days later.

I like this entry:

Right. They changed the b2b testing on June 14. Shown above.

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If you do an internet search on “COVID severity if unvaccinated”, you will get a bunch of articles. Choose the one(s) you feel most comfortable with, as there are plenty.

Thank you but I did not ask about unvaccinated who as you know have variable severity and symptoms. 

9 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

IMHO the day of no pre-boarding testing for those fully vaccinated is not far away, as well as all b2b testing.  I would not be surprised that when they do eliminate the pre-boarding testing, the CDC will require a booster to be "fully" vaccinated.  

I will be annoyed beyond reason if they change the meaning of "fully vaccinated" and require boosters to avoid pre-boarding testing. I got my two jabs of Moderna and got so sick with both that there's no way I'm going through that again. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

Thank you but I did not ask about unvaccinated who as you know have variable severity and symptoms. 

But when you search with those parameters, many of those statistical articles include related information about those that have been boosted as well. 

4 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I guess this is "doing your own science" - pick the story which supports your own gut feeling and swear by it.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

I will be annoyed beyond reason if they change the meaning of "fully vaccinated" and require boosters to avoid pre-boarding testing. I got my two jabs of Moderna and got so sick with both that there's no way I'm going through that again. 

It is possible that "fully vaccinated" might be taken to mean being re-vaccinated once the efficacy of the original vaccination fades.  The sad fact is that diseases tend to do their own thing - and not always comply with what we might wish them to do.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I guess this is "doing your own science" - pick the story which supports your own gut feeling and swear by it.

As they say, knowledge is power. For us, as we’re in our late 60s and both retired from the military, the decision to get double vaccinated early on and get all applicable boosters as soon as we’re eligible was a no brainer. But that’s us.

If someone still has questions about what benefits the approved vaccines and applicable boosters offer after living through over 2+ years of this pandemic, all I’m saying is there are plenty of C19 articles out there, to include those produced by the CDC and other reputable sources, to gain that additional knowledge. 

• Like 1

If testing is going to drop, the vaccination requirement needs to go away too. I had the initial round of shots. I've had COVID (at least) 3 times. Before vaccination, "while fully vaccinated", and "without updated boosters". I'm now (insert label) and will and deserve to pass if I get it again. Which was never a threat to a younger, healthy person in the first place.  The same people who tell me I need to it to protect myself and to not become a liability are the same ones that say 5 year olds need to get it. As we know, the discussion is long past data or logic. 

At least with testing, you knew if people were bringing it onboard. If boosters are going to be required, the future of cruising is not going to look good. 

• Like 2

P&O are dropping pre-boarding testing for their next 5 cruises out of the UK on the Iona.  Email I received states that they chose the Iona because she sails shorter duration cruises (7 nights) on the same itinerary each week - Norwegian fjords.  

Not sure how they will work out if it's a success or not.

4 hours ago, babs135 said:

P&O are dropping pre-boarding testing for their next 5 cruises out of the UK on the Iona.  Email I received states that they chose the Iona because she sails shorter duration cruises (7 nights) on the same itinerary each week - Norwegian fjords.  

Here's the Cruise Hive article posted today.

Carnival-Owned Cruise Line Temporarily Drops Pre-Departure Testing (cruisehive.com)

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, babs135 said:

If it’s only a 7 night, they won’t be able to count all the ones who test + after the cruise.  Maybe that’s the point?  

4 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

If it’s only a 7 night, they won’t be able to count all the ones who test + after the cruise.  Maybe that’s the point?  

Could be that wholesale testing of vaccinated people who are not sick is proving to be Schrodinger's Cat.

• Like 2