American Airlines advantage miles rewards help

Mary229

Hello,  thanks for any assistance.  If a better forum exists for this question please advise.  

I ended up with some American Advantage reward miles and I am not familiar with the program.  If I book with reward miles and then cancel do I 1. Get my miles reinstated, penalty free and 2. Do the taxes and fees paid go back to my credit card or to a flight credit?

My reason for the question is I have land based travel after my cruise and I used cruise air.  If the cruise is cancelled the air will be also.  I am trying to formulate a backup plan.  Thank you

4 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Hello,  thanks for any assistance.  If a better forum exists for this question please advise.  

I ended up with some American Advantage reward miles and I am not familiar with the program.  If I book with reward miles and then cancel do I 1. Get my miles reinstated, penalty free and 2. Do the taxes and fees paid go back to my credit card or to a flight credit?

My reason for the question is I have land based travel after my cruise and I used cruise air.  If the cruise is cancelled the air will be also.  I am trying to formulate a backup plan.  Thank you

I would suggest double checking with AAdvantage.

There have been some changes with respect to "re-banking" fees due to Covid, but that may change.  Also, it may vary with whether you use the AAdvantage awards to book on AA flights or on a partner airline.  We use a *lot* of AAdvantage points, but we've only flown on partner airlines.  Just double check if that would affect your decision now.

ETA:  www.FlyerTalk.com has a lot of information about the various frequent flyer plans.

GC

Edited by GeezerCouple
  • Thanks 1

It's right there in the AAdvantage FAQs:

"You can cancel your award ticket anytime on aa.com. We will reinstate your AAdvantage miles up to 1 year after the ticket issue date as long as you cancel your ticket before the first flight departs. If you cancel your trip on aa.com, your miles will be reinstated automatically in many cases."

AAdvantage FAQs − Customer service − American Airlines

3 hours ago, Gardyloo said:

It's right there in the AAdvantage FAQs:

"You can cancel your award ticket anytime on aa.com. We will reinstate your AAdvantage miles up to 1 year after the ticket issue date as long as you cancel your ticket before the first flight departs. If you cancel your trip on aa.com, your miles will be reinstated automatically in many cases."

AAdvantage FAQs − Customer service − American Airlines

Yes that is but nothing about the fees and taxes.  I know some airlines will only issue a flight credit for fees and taxes.  These particular fees and taxes are quite high and I want to know if I can have them credited back to my card 

Looks like they will refund your fees:

If your plans change and you no longer wish to travel, you can cancel your trip anytime on aa.com. We’ll reinstate your miles and refund eligible taxes and fees up to 1 year after the ticket issue date, but you have to cancel your trip before the first flight departs. If you cancel your trip on aa.com, your miles will be reinstated and your refund will be requested automatically in most cases. There is no fee to reinstate your miles.

3 minutes ago, BBWC said:

Looks like they will refund your fees:

If your plans change and you no longer wish to travel, you can cancel your trip anytime on aa.com. We’ll reinstate your miles and refund eligible taxes and fees up to 1 year after the ticket issue date, but you have to cancel your trip before the first flight departs. If you cancel your trip on aa.com, your miles will be reinstated and your refund will be requested automatically in most cases. There is no fee to reinstate your miles.

But what about the government fees.  In this case the fees are almost as much as the ticket.  Will those be issued back to my credit card or issued as a flight credit.  That is not clear in the FAQs that you are citing. 

Edited by Mary229

58 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

But what about the government fees.  In this case the fees are almost as much as the ticket.  Will those be issued back to my credit card or issued as a flight credit.  That is not clear in the FAQs that you are citing. 

On the one hand you talk about redepositing miles for a cancelled award ticket.  Now you talk about fees that are as much as "the ticket".  You don't have a ticket price on an award.

Hard to answer questions that conflate two situations.

15 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

On the one hand you talk about redepositing miles for a cancelled award ticket.  Now you talk about fees that are as much as "the ticket".  You don't have a ticket price on an award.

Hard to answer questions that conflate two situations.

I was very clear.  2 issues.  Do the reward points reinstate penalty free which actually I was pretty sure of the answer.  The 2. Question as bullet pointed in my first post was are they  taxes and fees creedite back to my credit card or am I forced to accept a flight credit in lieu of an actual credit card refund. 

There are most certainly fees, taxes and airport fees. There are always fees

Edited by Mary229

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

I was very clear. 

Interesting, because you wrote:

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

But what about the government fees.  In this case the fees are almost as much as the ticket.

Which most assuredly talks about the cost of the ticket, which would mean revenue vs award.

5 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Interesting, because you wrote:

Which most assuredly talks about the cost of the ticket, which would mean revenue vs award.

No, the airport fees in this situation are very high.