Bermuda $40 Fee is Taking Advantage

RIcruiseGuy

Is it just me?  I find that that $40pp fee to register with Bermuda for Covid vaccination proof is pretty ridiculous.  Yet I can't find anyone else whining about it on the boards other than me!  lol  

We have to show proof of negative Covid prior to boarding with our cruise lines, so it's safe to say that anyone arriving in Bermuda by a cruise company that enforces vaccination requirements is assuredly vaccinated and testing negative.  Why does Bermuda need a separate confirmation of their own that is just the exact same information the Cruise companies already have already collected?  Do they not trust the cruise companies?

And the $40 fee?!   In the overall cost of a cruise vacation this is a minor expense, but I resent having to pay it!  I understand it underwrites the cost of Bermuda having to administer this program, but surely the costs don't come to $40 per traveler, and the whole thing feels like a cash grab.

Edited by RIcruiseGuy
Clarification
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

You must not have searched hard. There is plenty of screaming.

However, please remember, the $40 fee is to ANYONE entering Bermuda by ANY means. It's not limited to just cruisers.

At least cruisers no longer need to submit their vaccination results. Bermuda is relying on the cruise lines to validate results prior to boarding.

• Like 3

I believe that all areas of travel these days find ways to charge you extra fees. Whether it be resort fees at a hotel, parking fees, luggage fees on airlines, even hidden menu fees... that I have learned not to get too upset about charges such as this.  I love Bermuda as it is one of my favorite vacation destinations and this extra fee won't deter me from having a fun time.  I certainly would not cancel a trip over such a charge!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The countries usually charge port fees through the cruise ships.  I was told in Guatemala that their country charged really high fees, which was why so few ships stoped there (which was a shame, because it was a really beautiful country and I really loved our day there).  The fact that you have to apply separately and deal with a whole extra layer of bureaucracy instead of just going through the cruise line is particularly annoying, but I don't know if it is enough to make the cruise lines change their schedule so they don't stop there.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

The countries usually charge port fees through the cruise ships.  I was told in Guatemala that their country charged really high fees, which was why so few ships stoped there (which was a shame, because it was a really beautiful country and I really loved our day there).  The fact that you have to apply separately and deal with a whole extra layer of bureaucracy instead of just going through the cruise line is particularly annoying, but I don't know if it is enough to make the cruise lines change their schedule so they don't stop there.  

Agreed, but again, the TA is required for ANYONE going to Bermuda. It's not just for cruise passengers.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Agreed, but again, the TA is required for ANYONE going to Bermuda. It's not just for cruise passengers.

Having applied for it for family members who flew to Bermuda on a land tour (and who didn't realize they needed the TA and would have been denied boarding if I didn't know about it from my own cruise and happened to mention it to them 4 days before they left), the application just appears to require you to agree to quarantine if you get covid and to submit covid test results to them directly.   The 40 fee also used to include the cost of a Covid test the day before you fly out if your country required it to fly,, but that's no longer required for American passengers since American airlines no longer require a negative covid test.   Since cruise ship passengers would quarantine on the ship and not stay in Bermuda, and their covid test results are checked already by the cruise ship I don't really see why Bermuda can't just charge the 40 as a port fee through the ship and accept the ship's verification of passengers covid testing.  They can still get their money without annoying people by having to apply for a separate TA and submit covid results.  Plus, my relatives who had no idea they were supposed to get the ta also didn't read my text explaining which type of covid test to get, and took the rapid too soon and needed to get tested twice.  It's just better not to confuse some passengers by giving them too much to keep track of.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

I don't really see why Bermuda can't just charge the 40 as a port fee through the ship and accept the ship's verification of passengers covid testing.  They can still get their money without annoying people by having to apply for a separate TA and submit covid results

Lots of people have said that.

BTW, cruise passengers no longer have to submit the COVID test results to Bermuda in advance so that part of the process...which is the part that really caused the delays in processing the cruise ship TA applications has been greatly improved. Now you just submit your test results at the pier at check in just as would for other cruises.

• Thanks 1

After having to spend $80 (or $60, I don't remember) a person for the TA back in October 2021, $40 seems like a bargain to me!

I see it as Bermuda trying to recoup some of their lost tourism income during Covid.  It's their country and they can do what they wish.  If we want to cruise or travel to Bermuda then we have to pay the fee. 

I believe that even Bermuda residents traveling home need to pay the fee.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Lots of people have said that.

BTW, cruise passengers no longer have to submit the COVID test results to Bermuda in advance so that part of the process...which is the part that really caused the delays in processing the cruise ship TA applications has been greatly improved. Now you just submit your test results at the pier at check in just as would for other cruises.

Thanks.  Its good to know they will take the same testing as the cruise line.  They were fairly efficient in processing the TA for a land vacation, but its unnecessary for a cruise since they can get their money as a port fee.

Edited by kitkat343

21 minutes ago, joelheather said:

its just a cash grab and they are taking advantage of the situation.  Did not know this when i booked. i hate feeling like someone has there hands in my pocket.  

If Bermuda had raised their port taxes by $40 per person you would have never known the difference. If the cruise line's fares were $40 per person higher you would have still booked the cruise. If an airline raises its fare $40per person you would still book a flight to somewhere you wanted to go.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, njhorseman said:

If Bermuda had raised their port taxes by $40 per person you would have never known the difference. If the cruise line's fares were $40 per person higher you would have still booked the cruise. If an airline raises its fare $40per person you would still book a flight to somewhere you wanted to go.

You're absolutely right—I think it's mostly a psychological "they're nickel-and-diming me" feeling.

I feel it too, and wish NCL had negotiated with Bermuda so that they'd roll the TA fee into the cruise price, and we'd just have to sign onto the Bermuda site and fill out the form.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

Its good to know they will take the same testing as the cruise line.

They always took the same testing as the cruise line. It's just that you had to submit it in advance to Bermuda in order to obtain your travel authorization while now you merely have to present the results at the pier at check in.

I do think it's ridiculous.  I was just complaining about it to my daughter.  Isn't the cruise ship paying Bermuda money per person to dock a the pier?  Then cruisers are spending money in Bermuda.  

I don't like it, but I don't have an option, unless I stay on board.  I was limited in the cruises I could choose from.

12 minutes ago, moposh said:

I do think it's ridiculous.  I was just complaining about it to my daughter.  Isn't the cruise ship paying Bermuda money per person to dock a the pier?  Then cruisers are spending money in Bermuda.  

I don't like it, but I don't have an option, unless I stay on board.  I was limited in the cruises I could choose from.

Staying on board doesn't exempt you from having to obtain the Travel Authorization and paying the $40 fee. You're in Bermuda when your ships enters its territorial waters regardless of whether you disembark .

• Like 1

Bermuda is just trying keep the island safe.  They need to pay those people checking the vax records and issue the authorizations.  While $40 is high, before March it was $80.   If you were staying on land, the testing every 3 days was a hassle. That’s why we chose to cruise rather than fly in and stay. Before June, you had to apply and get PCR test results sent to Bermuda. Now, you can show your test results at embarkation.  It is an inconvenience. Not enough to cancel a trip. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Bermuda is just trying keep the island safe.  They need to pay those people checking the vax records and issue the authorizations.  While $40 is high, before March it was $80.   If you were staying on land, the testing every 3 days was a hassle. That’s why we chose to cruise rather than fly in and stay. Before June, you had to apply and get PCR test results sent to Bermuda. Now, you can show your test results at embarkation.  It is an inconvenience. Not enough to cancel a trip. 

The cruise line is already checking both vaccination record(s) & recent COVID test GRATIS as part of the regular embarkation protocol/process. Seems to me that it's a duplication of effort on the part of Bermuda & a Profit Center as well!

• Like 1

I was just looking for updates to the Bermuda travel authorisation process and noted it says:

For cruise passengers sailing on a Norwegian, Royal Caribbean or Carnival cruise line ship, you will receive an approved green waiver as long as you upload your vaccination card. Your negative COVID-19 test result will be checked at the pier when you board the ship; you do not need to upload it.

https://www.gotobermuda.com/travel-requirements/cruise-passenger-travel-authorisation

We are going in September so the requirements have already changed from when we booked the cruise earlier this month.  I think we will wait until closer to our sailing time before sending our $40 in case it changes again.  We are sailing on Royal Caribbean so I am glad at this point we don't have to try to upload our negative Covid-10 test results along with all the other last-minute document checks we do before leaving for the port.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, nzdisneymom said:

I was just looking for updates to the Bermuda travel authorisation process and noted it says:

For cruise passengers sailing on a Norwegian, Royal Caribbean or Carnival cruise line ship, you will receive an approved green waiver as long as you upload your vaccination card. Your negative COVID-19 test result will be checked at the pier when you board the ship; you do not need to upload it.

https://www.gotobermuda.com/travel-requirements/cruise-passenger-travel-authorisation

We are going in September so the requirements have already changed from when we booked the cruise earlier this month.  I think we will wait until closer to our sailing time before sending our $40 in case it changes again.  We are sailing on Royal Caribbean so I am glad at this point we don't have to try to upload our negative Covid-10 test results along with all the other last-minute document checks we do before leaving for the port.

You won't be able to do the TA or send in the $40 until 30 days before your sailing in September. They might change the requirements before then, I actually expect there probably will be changes, but if the $40 fee is still in effect at 30 days before your sailing, no doubt once they start collecting the $40 fee for a  sailing they are not going to change that. 

• Like 2

On 6/23/2022 at 11:29 PM, smithmlmx said:

I cancelled my 50 year anniversary Bermuda trip because I didn't need the hassle.

We viewed it like some  travel Visas that are often required.   No big deal to me , just part of cost of travel and the need for travel documentation. Took about 15 minutes to complete the requirements for the two of us. 

m

• Like 3

14 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

We viewed it like some  travel Visas that are often required.   No big deal to me , just part of cost of travel and the need for travel documentation. Took about 15 minutes to complete the requirements for the two of us. 

m

Nothing to do with cost - just the testing and forms - including the Arrivecan app (completed within 3 days of arrival in Canada) to get back into Canada even though we have had 2 boosters. Niagara Falls will win out this Summer - just the Canadian side. Cruising is just postponed,

• Like 1