Bermuda $40 Fee is Taking Advantage

RIcruiseGuy

On 6/22/2022 at 11:45 AM, moposh said:

I do think it's ridiculous.  I was just complaining about it to my daughter.  Isn't the cruise ship paying Bermuda money per person to dock a the pier?  Then cruisers are spending money in Bermuda.  

I don't like it, but I don't have an option, unless I stay on board.  I was limited in the cruises I could choose from.

Even if you stay onboard, you still have to pay. Basically you are paying to breathe the Bermuda air.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2022 at 11:07 AM, RIcruiseGuy said:

Is it just me?  I find that that $40pp fee to register with Bermuda for Covid vaccination proof is pretty ridiculous.  Yet I can't find anyone else whining about it on the boards other than me!  lol  

We have to show proof of negative Covid prior to boarding with our cruise lines, so it's safe to say that anyone arriving in Bermuda by a cruise company that enforces vaccination requirements is assuredly vaccinated and testing negative.  Why does Bermuda need a separate confirmation of their own that is just the exact same information the Cruise companies already have already collected?  Do they not trust the cruise companies?

And the $40 fee?!   In the overall cost of a cruise vacation this is a minor expense, but I resent having to pay it!  I understand it underwrites the cost of Bermuda having to administer this program, but surely the costs don't come to $40 per traveler, and the whole thing feels like a cash grab.

I guess I feel that if you can afford to visit Bermuda, is a $40 "visitors fee" truly that much of a hardship?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just returned from Carnival Legend cruise to Bermuda. I paid $360.00 to take my family of 9. Another pax I met spent $440.00 for her family of 11. Additionally our ship was anchored not docked. Several pax posted that they missed their excursions due to the Shuttles being more than problematic - I'm being polite.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, leen50 said:

Just returned from Carnival Legend cruise to Bermuda. I paid $360.00 to take my family of 9. Another pax I met spent $440.00 for her family of 11. Additionally our ship was anchored not docked. Several pax posted that they missed their excursions due to the Shuttles being more than problematic - I'm being polite.

Tendering and it’s problems is Carnival’s fault. They scheduled the ship that way for your sailing and for the July 20 sailing. That you were tendering has been on the port schedule for months. They should have informed passengers. Carnival really did a disservice to their passengers scheduling the ship on dates when they could not dock. 

• Like 1

Just now, Charles4515 said:

Tendering and it’s problems is Carnival’s fault. They scheduled the ship that way for your sailing and for the July 20 sailing. That you were tendering has been on the port schedule for months. They should have informed passengers. Carnival really did a disservice to their passengers scheduling the ship on dates when they could not dock. 

I contacted John Heald because our FB group thought we were docked. Heald insisted that we would dock. I insisted he'd tell me where since NCL and Celebrity were docked and there's only 2 'parking spots'. He finally said he'd ask the Captain who confirmed that we were Anchoring.

The water Shuttles were Bermuda's.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, leen50 said:

I contacted John Heald because our FB group thought we were docked. Heald insisted that we would dock. I insisted he'd tell me where since NCL and Celebrity were docked and there's only 2 'parking spots'. He finally said he'd ask the Captain who confirmed that we were Anchoring.

The water Shuttles were Bermuda's.

I think they have to be Bermuda boats. For sure whoever operates them has to be licensed in Bermuda and they have union rules. There are reefs, the  channel there is narrow. Passengers are always going to be inconvienced 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Cruisegoer said:

I guess I feel that if you can afford to visit Bermuda, is a $40 "visitors fee" truly that much of a hardship?

Not a question of "Affording It"

I guess you don't get upset & report it to the Police if you get pick-pocketed with $80.00 in your wallet? No, I guess not, cause you can afford it!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, adolfo2 said:

Not a question of "Affording It"

I guess you don't get upset & report it to the Police if you get pick-pocketed with $80.00 in your wallet? No, I guess not, cause you can afford it!

LOL yes a small island that has basically been closed for 2 summers and lost millions of dollars of revenue from visitors trying to recoup just a little bit by charging a temporary "visa" fee is just high way robbery!! There are plenty of places you can go if you don't like it, I'm sure no on would mind but at least it would better than you complaining about something as immaterial as a $40 visitors fee.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

This entire thread is silly. It's a foreign entity-- they can do whatever they want. No amount of complaining is going to change it and what they are asking is not onerous.

It's like getting angry about purchasing a ticket to Disneyland to get in or paying a toll on a highway. It is what it is. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

On 6/21/2022 at 3:34 PM, goldmom said:

After having to spend $80 (or $60, I don't remember) a person for the TA back in October 2021, $40 seems like a bargain to me!

It was $75 pp. 🤣. And don’t forget, back then we also had to get a PCR test no later than 4 days before embarkation — no option for a less expensive antigen test. 

• Like 1

Of course this could be totally different by the time I'm in Bermuda.

I'm on a Carnival B2B2B beginning in Rome on 10/11.  I fly on 10/8; not sure when/if I'll test before embarking.  We don't arrive in Bermuda until 11/7.

So, I'm confused.  But I'll wait and see what the requirements may be later this year.

7 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

Of course this could be totally different by the time I'm in Bermuda.

I'm on a Carnival B2B2B beginning in Rome on 10/11.  I fly on 10/8; not sure when/if I'll test before embarking.  We don't arrive in Bermuda until 11/7.

So, I'm confused.  But I'll wait and see what the requirements may be later this year.

You are correct about waiting to see what the requirements may be months from now.

But in the event they do not change, the key for you will be: what is the embarkation date of the cruise that actually takes you to Bermuda on Nov. 7?   Because as things stand now, that will determine whether a pre-cruise test will suffice (ship takes 4 days or fewer to arrive in Bermuda) or whether guests will also need to be tested on board no later than 2 days before arrival in Bermuda (ship takes more than 4 days to arrive in Bermuda from embarkation port). 

Just see the chart at this link:

https://www.gov.bm/cruise-travel-authorisation

Yes, I did look at that.  The leg that stops in Bermuda departs Lisbon on 10/30, so it's more than 4 days.  Seems to me that the ship would have to test everyone!  Honestly, at this point, as much as I love Bermuda, seems like a lot of expense (and effort) for just a day stop there.  IMO, you need at least two full days in Bermuda.

And is it true that you have to pay the $40 if you don't intend to get off the ship?  Who's going to check that if I'm a B2B?  Wouldn't they be checking this in Lisbon for folks embarking then?

You will need the TA filled out for the leg from Lisbon. And yes, everyone on the ship will need to be tested by the cruise line to fulfill the entry requirements for Bermuda. I would assume as part of your B2B paperwork, you will be asked to present your TA. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NCTribeFan said:

Yes, I did look at that.  The leg that stops in Bermuda departs Lisbon on 10/30, so it's more than 4 days.  Seems to me that the ship would have to test everyone!  Honestly, at this point, as much as I love Bermuda, seems like a lot of expense (and effort) for just a day stop there.  IMO, you need at least two full days in Bermuda.

And is it true that you have to pay the $40 if you don't intend to get off the ship?  Who's going to check that if I'm a B2B?  Wouldn't they be checking this in Lisbon for folks embarking then?

Yes, the ships test everyone on board if it's more than four days from embarkation to arrival in Bermuda. 

Yes, you have to get the travel authorization and pay the $40 even if you don't disembark in Bermuda.  You're in Bermuda when the ship enters its territorial waters. 

The ship has to submit a passenger manifest for every cruise and that's how each passenger's compliance with the requirements is certified.  If your name is on the manifest you must have a valid travel authorization for that cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

Yes, if the current rules are still in place, the ship would have to test everyone on board. 

We're on a westbound TA that leaves Southampton on Oct. 20.   We have a scheduled port call to Bermuda for 24 hours, from 3pm on Oct. 30 until 3pm on Oct. 31.   There are other westbound TAs this fall that are scheduled for even less time in Bermuda -- only part of a day.  Quite honestly, if Bermuda's current rules are still in place then, I'd be happy to see us skip the port. 

I suspect the cruise lines don't want to test an entire ship just for a day or an overnight in Bermuda.  October is still a ways off.  It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

I suspect the cruise lines don't want to test an entire ship just for a day or an overnight in Bermuda.  October is still a ways off.  It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. 

I'm just surmising but I think everyone might be pleasantly surprised by October. It's the path of least resistance and some cruise lines have already said they are dropping testing requirements starting in August.

It's the same fight airlines had with the US testing requirement. Bermuda understands that, while tourism isn't by far their main source of income, it isn't something that's worth making difficult. 

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, moposh said:

Just wondering, do cruise ship employees have to submit a TA application and $40 fee (which hopefully is paid for by cruise line)?

There is no fee for the crew travel authorization.

If you look at the bottom of the application form here https://www.gov.bm/crew-requirements#:~:text=Cruise ship Crew and Cargo Crew,-Crew member and&text=All crew must have an,departs from the homeport terminal. you'll see

"

Bermuda Travel Authorisation (Crew)

Cost:
$0.00

Subtotal:
$0.00

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, KATHYMAC68 said:

So now that we don’t have to pre test on a 5 night cruise to Bermuda on RCI in October, do I still have to test anyway cause I’m going to Bermuda?? 

Bermuda still requires a negative covid test. So as it stands today you would have to get tested. October is a couple of months away so it is possible that Bermuda could make changes before October. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, KATHYMAC68 said:

So now that we don’t have to pre test on a 5 night cruise to Bermuda on RCI in October, do I still have to test anyway cause I’m going to Bermuda?? 

Yes. Bermuda's rules trump RCI's new rules. 

On 7/7/2022 at 9:24 AM, NCTribeFan said:

My wife and I will be on this cruise also.   If Bermuda's requirements remain the same, I would be surprised if we still port there. Besides the cost and logistics of Carnival testing 2700 passengers, how many asymptomatic cases might they find?  And then the issues onboard that would arise with that.  I think they would prefer to just get to Tampa without asking for that kind of headache.   

Unless they are somehow financially obligated to port in Bermuda. 

I just hope if there is going to be an itinerary change,  they let us know asap.  Hate to have to pay the $40 and then not go there.  I'm sure there wouldn't be any refund coming from the government of Bermuda.

Sometimes it's just fun to speculate 😃

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2022 at 1:45 PM, princeton123211 said:

This entire thread is silly. It's a foreign entity-- they can do whatever they want. No amount of complaining is going to change it and what they are asking is not onerous.

It's like getting angry about purchasing a ticket to Disneyland to get in or paying a toll on a highway. It is what it is. 

I totally agree, however my frustration is that they seem to not have the resources for the demand. When we went in May I had to call several times and wait several hours on the phone to get to a person. More than once I got to be 3rd or 4th in line and then got kicked off and had to call back and be 70th in line. Additionally, every email I sent was ignored and I never got a response. I'm hoping for our cruise in October they may have gotten their act together.

• Like 1