Fly2Fun Cruise Cancelled from Delayed Flight

let's go cruising

Some of you already read about our experience. Sorry for the repeat.

I have heard other people recently missed their cruise because of Flight Problems. I want to hear from you all what has happened for you.

We were scheduled for the June 9, 2022 Carnival Pride Norwegian Cruise. Our Fly2Fun flight was scheduled to arrive day of departure (not what we wanted, but sometimes things happen) at 11:00. While checking into our first of two flights, we were notified that our second flight was delayed for two hours for mechanical problems. I immediately called Carnival Travel Interruption Emergency number so that they could get us on another flight. At first, we had to try to convince the agent that that delay would be a problem. By the time we convinced the agents that there was a problem and got connected with an agent who could make a new flight, our first flight was boarding. The agent we were speaking to told us that we weren't going to make the cruise and to just go home. She said the only direct flight to London had left 5 minutes earlier. Further, we were told that there was no port they could get us to later in the cruise.

Carnival is refunding our taxes/port fees. They are offering us FCC for the remaining cruise fare and airfare. We were told to write to Reviews@carnival.com and have our case reviewed. We have not heard from them.

We feel betrayed. They did not in any way try to get us to our ship as they state in their literature. They are WILLING to keep our money and let us use it at a later date. As my husband reads more on FCC, there are a LOT of strings attached. As I stated, we already PAID for this. I'd like my money back. Maybe we will cruise later. 

I know a lot of you will point out that flying into the port the day of is risky. We would normally fly in earlier, but life is tricky right now. That's why we used Fly2Fun. It is supposed to reduce that risk. Believe me, missing a cruise that we dreamed and planned for for many months is a punishment. For months while teaching junior high students I would think how it will all be worth it when we are our cruise. 

I've heard other people also missed their European cruise. I'd like to hear what happened for you all. I'd also like to be a cautionary tale.

• Like 1

Sorry this happened. The current issues with flight delays is one reason we have delayed booking anything outside of the US currently.

I had heard for years that if you booked your flights through the cruise line, and you missed your ship due to a flight delay, that they would get you to the next available port to board the ship. Maybe I misunderstood that all this time, or they changed it at some point (like a lot of other things).  

Obviously there will be debate on how hard they attempt to find another flight that will work, but it does appear their current policy is to give a Future Cruise Credit if a delayed flight causes you to miss a cruise: 

That means you’re covered in case weather conditions or flight changes delay your arrival to the ship. We’ll make alternate flight, hotel and/or ground transportation arrangements and do everything we can to get you to the cruise port in time to board the ship, at no expense to you. If no viable options are available to get you to the ship before departure at the homeport, you will be given a Future Cruise Credit to use toward an alternate Carnival cruise.”

https://www.carnival.com/fly2fun.aspx

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 1

My newbies used F2F last August from Detroit to Seattle.  They got notice at 3 am that their connecting flight from Chicago to Seattle was cancelled.  The Carnival travel emergency number said it would open at 8 am and they were supposed to be boarding first flight at 8:30 am. They called the airline directly and were rebooked, arriving about 2 hours later than expected but got there.  They never got anyone to answer the phone at Carnival.  

• Like 3

As 1025cruise is hinting at, simply booking your flights through Carnival isn't a replacement for travel insurance. Travel insurance could be covering this trip interruption without needing to resort to pleading your case to some anonymous email address that goes into the abyss at Carnival.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

As 1025cruise is hinting at, simply booking your flights through Carnival isn't a replacement for travel insurance. Travel insurance could be covering this trip interruption without needing to resort to pleading your case to some anonymous email address that goes into the abyss at Carnival.

I've requested a claim form from my independent travel insurance company. I've never filed a travel claim, so I don't really know how it works.

6 minutes ago, let's go cruising said:

I've requested a claim form from my independent travel insurance company. I've never filed a travel claim, so I don't really know how it works.

Whomever you purchased this from is or should assist in filing the claim. They earned a commission on the sale, they should be there for guidance.

Carnival is using the COVID excuse as the reason they can't fly you to the next port on the cruise.  I haven't been impressed with F2F anyway, they canceled my flight, blamed the airline and put me on inferior flights.  I canceled with Carnival and booked directly with the airline on my original flights for less than Carnival was charging.

• Like 2

If your entire vacation is based on a flight being there on time, then you have broken plans already. I am sorry, but that is the nature of flying currently. Understaffed, overbooked, and limited inventory. It is not going to end because it doesn't cost the airlines any real money, just bad publicity. Publicity is nothing because people are still flying like crazy. This is why you buy trip insurance, although it wouldn't have helped to cruise at all and not any help with the FCC. 

My advice is if you are flying into a port that you cannot drive to, you need to be there 2 days in advance now. Even then, if there are flight issues, you may not make it. This is the entire reality of flying currently.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JT1962 said:

I had heard for years that if you booked your flights through the cruise line, and you missed your ship due to a flight delay, that they would get you to the next available port to board the ship. Maybe I misunderstood that all this time, or they changed it at some point (like a lot of other things).  

I can only speak of NCL on this from our April cruise. NCL's air offered those that had delayed flights to meet in Cozumel (Day 3 of a 7-day cruise). It was up to them for the price of the flights, no refund on the lost time, or cancel with their insurance company. The one family I talked with had 4 in their group fly to Cozumel (actually Cancun area then ferry over). It was $1600 per person for the flight. They didn't have insurance. They actually paid the money to get there. NCL did nothing for them. No FCC or anything for the missed days. No FCC or anything for missing the cruise because of flights. It was a loss either way for them. I can't comprehend how people put this much money at risk. Personally, I cruise from ports that I could drive to if the worst case happens. Driving 12 hours over night and into embarkation day is not ideal, it is a backup plan. Most people have no contingencies.

8 hours ago, let's go cruising said:

So sorry to hear of your disappointment.  You may be able to file all the paperwork online with your trip insurance.  Our flight to Florida was cancelled a few weeks ago.  We were notified at 4 am for an 8 am flight.  The airline (Jetblue) rebooked us for the next day, as there were no flight the day of.  I filed for trip cancellation, and they covered my transportation that had to be rescheduled, meals,  and would have covered hotel if we had needed one.  We used Travelguard, and got a check within  5 business days.  Flying nowadays is an adventure in itself.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, let's go cruising said:

but life is tricky right now. That's why we used Fly2Fun. It is supposed to reduce that risk.

Nope.  It is supposed to induce people to buy their air through the cruiseline.  Folks think that "well, the cruiseline will take care of us", which is far from the reality of air travel.

23 hours ago, JT1962 said:

This is one of the great urban legends of the cruise industry. 

23 hours ago, JT1962 said:

That means you’re covered in case weather conditions or flight changes delay your arrival to the ship. We’ll make alternate flight, hotel and/or ground transportation arrangements and do everything we can to get you to the cruise port in time to board the ship, at no expense to you. If no viable options are available to get you to the ship before departure at the homeport, you will be given a Future Cruise Credit to use toward an alternate Carnival cruise.”

Note the words.  Everything we can -- meaning whatever effort we chose to make.  Viable -- meaning something that is acceptable to our corporate policies, such as only using carriers that we have contracts with or only using flights that are covered by our bulk contracts.  To the homeport -- meaning we only are going to try to get you to the point of departure.  Forget about anything downline.

Pro tip for everyone:  Don't just read the marketing hype. Go to the actual terms and conditions to see what are the legal responsibilities AND DISCLAIMERS that go into your ticket purchase.  Same with reading the T&C for your trip insurance.  And yes....that's what most people won't want to do.  They don't want to delve into the fine print, but just want top-level "assurance" that all will be taken care of for them.  Reality is, you are responsible for your own arrangements and doing all you can to make it work.  Waiting for the cruiseline to make alternate arrangements is mostly a waste of time, when time is your big enemy.

• Thanks 1