Docking Location at Mykonos

donaldsc

Old Port is only to be used by tenderboats. If the ship is alongside at new port, a "water bus" (boat transfer) will be offered by locals, running at least every 30 min. in both directions. In addition, taxis are available near the pier at new port.

Relax, calm down, act spontaneous and enjoy your vacation on board and at Mykonos town.

47 minutes ago, Diddn said:

Old Port is only to be used by tenderboats. If the ship is alongside at new port, a "water bus" (boat transfer) will be offered by locals, running at least every 30 min. in both directions. In addition, taxis are available near the pier at new port.

Relax, calm down, act spontaneous and enjoy your vacation on board and at Mykonos town.

The reason that I asked is that I was thinking of doing an independent tour on Mykonos and I have to figure out how to get to the starting point of the tour.   Sounds like you have done previous Clipper cruises.  This will be my first and I am really looking forward to it.  If you have done any Clip[per cruises, do you have any suggestions besides to relax and enjoy ourselves.

DON

In 2019 we lay at anchor just outside the old port, ie Mykonos town, and tendered in. This has been the case whenever I have been to Mykonos with Star Clippers, although things could have changed. The out of town dock appears to be used by large cruise ships for which the old port would not have sufficient tender capacity.

In early May 2022, we were there on the Star Flyer.  We anchored off the windmills, as we did before, many years ago.  There were about 6 other big cruise ships there, some at the new port and others anchored.  It was a freak show in Mykonos town, way too many people.  But I am comparing it to our stop there 18 years ago...

Edited by cluso

4 hours ago, cluso said:

In early May 2022, we were there on the Star Flyer.  We anchored off the windmills, as we did before, many years ago.  There were about 6 other big cruise ships there, some at the new port and others anchored.  It was a freak show in Mykonos town, way too many people.  But I am comparing it to our stop there 18 years ago...

Thanks.  We are going to be there in early October so it might be better crowd wise.  How did you enjoy the cruise.

DON

On 6/22/2022 at 11:52 AM, cluso said:

I know what you mean.

I first went to Mykonos in the 1990s, for a land hoilday. The cruise boom was yet to come, and what ships there were usually carried 600 - 800 passengers. The new cruise terminal did not exist. On the rare occasion that there was a ship in port the town absorbed the passengers reasonably well. But I hate to think what the place would be like with several large ships each spewing out several thousand passengers.

• 3 weeks later...

I've found the Star Clipper shore excursions to be reasonably priced so you might want to consider doing the ship excursion. We've sailed on the Clipper and Flyer seven times and have found port skipping to be rare, but expect it if there are rough seas or other issues.

This is a cruise to sit back and smell the roses, for sure. We were on a crossing for two weeks without any Internet or other communication with land for two weeks due to a hurricane behind us which wiped our electronics. This was the two weeks prior to the 2016 election in the US and Brexit vote in the UK, and our entire ship simply floated away ;-). We all agreed we were the luckiest people on the planet.