Warning for New Cruisers: Viking Below Standard!

TV Dad

I am a newbie on Viking Ocean voyages. However, I have sailed more than a dozen other lines both big and small. So, I feel qualified to warn future Viking cruisers, Viking has a few practices that are not standard in the industry and not good for passengers.

Specifically, final payment is due 18 months before sailing! EIGHTEEN MONTHS?! The industry standard is six months. Viking keeps your money for a year longer than any other cruise line! I find that unfair to passengers.

Also, to get the lowest possible fare on Viking, passengers must pay cash (e-check). It's disguised as a 3% bonus for paying cash. But let's face it, every other cruise line lets customers use credit to book their lowest possible fares. Viking's policy prohibits cruisers from taking advantage of credit card perks like rewards points and complimentary travel insurance. Not to mention the added financial protection credit companies offer in uncertain times (Crystal Cruise passengers learned that last year).

Full disclosure: I still chose to book a Viking Cruise. No-one pointed a gun to my head and said I had to choose Viking Ocean Cruises. I could have sailed on any other line and NOT paid full fare 18 months out. I chose to book Viking because it offered an itinerary I wanted, at the time I wanted to sail. 

However, future cruisers should realize Viking Cruises is not the industry standard. In my opinion Viking is quite below standard!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, TV Dad said:

I am a newbie on Viking Ocean voyages. However, I have sailed more than a dozen other lines both big and small. So, I feel qualified to warn future Viking cruisers, Viking has a few practices that are not standard in the industry and not good for passengers.

Specifically, final payment is due 18 months before sailing! EIGHTEEN MONTHS?! The industry standard is six months. Viking keeps your money for a year longer than any other cruise line! I find that unfair to passengers.

Also, to get the lowest possible fare on Viking, passengers must pay cash (e-check). It's disguised as a 3% bonus for paying cash. But let's face it, every other cruise line lets customers use credit to book their lowest possible fares. Viking's policy prohibits cruisers from taking advantage of credit card perks like rewards points and complimentary travel insurance. Not to mention the added financial protection credit companies offer in uncertain times (Crystal Cruise passengers learned that last year).

Full disclosure: I still chose to book a Viking Cruise. No-one pointed a gun to my head and said I had to choose Viking Ocean Cruises. I could have sailed on any other line and NOT paid full fare 18 months out. I chose to book Viking because it offered an itinerary I wanted, at the time I wanted to sail. 

However, future cruisers should realize Viking Cruises is not the industry standard. In my opinion Viking is quite below standard!

You are very wrong on your statements above.  

First of all, on our first voyage with Viking the pre-payment was 12 months.  I have never had to pay 18 months out. 

Secondly if you are a repeat guest with Viking and you have other cruises booked, they give you a 6 month payment window.  I never have to pay before 6 months now.

Regarding your statement about lowest cruise fares, I disagree with you about the cash payment.  Viking has never been a cruise line that offers discount voyages.  Other large lines offer deals and discounts but Viking does not do this as a typical practice.  From time to time they have specials, but on their standard cruise packages, it is the posted fare.  Often you will see discounted Air, but not typically a discount cruise fare.   If someone chooses to pay by cash, they get the 3.3% discount, but I don't see this as unfair at all.  This is a choice in payment.  Personally, I have calculated it and the cash discount is worth more than my credit card point value, so this is a VALUE to me.  Sometimes people are too focused on points, but do they really understand their true value?

Does Viking have to be "industry standard"?  No.  No company has to conform to what you believe is the industry standard.  Viking is Viking and we continue to sail Viking - both River and Ocean - because we believe and have experienced Viking to be an exceptional product in a price point that we can afford.

Your statements above are unfair and just one person's opinion.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Viking does not hide their policies and have always been upfront about everything.  What you see is what you get ... and you are free to decide accordingly.  I'm glad you are looking out for  "future Viking cruisers" but your warning is really not necessary.  People can read and decide for themselves, but thank you for your concern.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Wow as a first time Viking cruiser next March, quite the headline.   I read on only to see what you meant in regards to below standard in regards to service, food, etc. not how we chose to pay our balance.   

• Like 4

Totally agree with CDNPolar. Regarding cash vs. credit cards, the other lines that don’t discount are using everyone’s payments to cover credit card fees - so if the majority are using credit cards (which I suspect), they’re paying the fees anyway.

Viking is not a member of CLIA.  Not conforming to standards they never agreed to uphold does not make them sub-standard, it only makes them different.  Viking has its own way of doing things but it still has no trouble filling its ship to capacity. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I agree the headline on this thread is very misleading and prejudicial.  The OP is talking about buying the cruise.  Very different from the onboard experience.  Few of us like the payment/penalties of Viking and there are uncountable posts about poor service from "management" shoreside.  As we and many others have said the onboard experience makes us tolerate the other stuff.  As to costs, if one really does their homework, Viking is good value for money.  As to all the pay in advance policies, my choice would be don't book if I am not willing to accept what they have for rules.  Again, as many others have stated, all Viking's policies are well stated in advance.🍸

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

Sounds like someone is just upset with their decision and all they want to do is VENT!

Sounds like someone should just cancel and move on.

Speaks with hyperbole about old points and says many substandard practices but lists only 2 - of which they are all debatable.

I suggest people scroll past this thread after reading it for what it is.

Signed - veteran cruiser

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, TV Dad said:

I'm confused by this. Viking does "let" customers book with credit card. Yes their 3%+ cash discount yields the absolute cheapest fare but my 3% credit card lets me get all the card's associated perks and I am free to do so. The difference in $ is insignificant in a 5 figure purchase. 

• Like 9

6 hours ago, TV Dad said:

I find this post condescending, arrogant, and grossly inaccurate, as pointed at by other posters. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, TV Dad said:

Having sailed with more than 12 different cruise lines, you should be an experienced traveller, who should know that prior to embarking with a new cruise line, you need to research them thoroughly, to determine they meet the majority of your needs. I note it is highly unlikely any cruise line will meet all of your needs.

I can only assume that you did not research Viking thoroughly, as all the points you raise are common knowledge. Viking are not members of the mega ship owner's club CLIA, and as a private company, develop and implement their own policies. Some of which we like, others we don't.

With respect to the "Payment in Full" date, surely you did negotiate, as while Viking will request early dates, they are often open to negotiation. When we booked another cruise, they requested 18-months, which we negotiated to 6-months.

The payment by Credit Card or Debit (e-transfer) has nothing to do with getting the lowest fares. If pax opt for paying by e-transfer, the cruise line shares some of the savings from the credit card company's hold back. I'm not aware that the Carnival brands provide any discount for not using a credit card. Therefore, Viking's 3.3% discount for not using a credit card is actually a positive, rather than the negative you have described.

Since I research everything thoroughly, I determined that receiving the points for using Visa cards provides way more benefit that saving 3.3% for e-transfer. I also note that while our premium Visas do have cancellation/interruption protection, the maximum limit is well below the cost of our Viking cruises.

Based on the content and tone of you post, I'll suggest that Viking will not be a good fit for your cruising needs and suggest you cancel and move back to one of the CLIA club.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I believe everyone has missed the true value in the OPs post. The take away is that gas stations that sell there gas at different prices depending on cash or credit are "below standard" and should also be avoided. 😉 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I opened this, expecting to hear about shoddy treatment.  Instead, I find out he is complaining about billing practices…..which are well known if you do any sort of research.  

So much wind about nothing.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, TV Dad said:

Do you know why Viking has these policies?

Because they can. As someone who deals with and has salied on numerous other cruise lines I can tell you that their ships almost always sell out WAY IN ADVANCE. And once sold, they almost never have cancellations. So if you want to go, you pay early and you use whatever method of payment you choose. If not, you can go elsewhere but most Viking cruisers never do. 

Jim

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, philw1776 said:

I'm confused by this. Viking does "let" customers book with credit card. Yes their 3%+ cash discount yields the absolute cheapest fare but my 3% credit card lets me get all the card's associated perks and I am free to do so. The difference in $ is insignificant in a 5 figure purchase. 

Amen to that sir! I use my Chase Saphirre as our travel insurance and for flights so that certainly makes up for the 3% I could have saved. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

You are very wrong on your statements above.  

First of all, on our first voyage with Viking the pre-payment was 12 months.  I have never had to pay 18 months out. 

Secondly if you are a repeat guest with Viking and you have other cruises booked, they give you a 6 month payment window.  I never have to pay before 6 months now.

While your second statement is true, the first one may have been true for you but not for many. We are on a 21 day Viking Ocean from Athens to BCN in September. We booked it in early 2020. As past Viking guests we paid for the entire cruise six months in advance (March 2022). But our friends who had never saiiled on Viking had to pay their entire fare on December 31 of 2020. That's more than a year in advance, that's almost two years. We told them they could wait and book later but we were glad they didn't because by September 2021, the cruise was sold out. 

UK, Austalian and New Zealand passengers pay higher non refundable deposits but have final payments around 100 days out. 

The long way in advance US payments are to prevent booking on a whim then late cancellations. Hence why Viking do not overbook or have last minute sales. 

In the UK their payment terms are fairly normal 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I pick cruises because of their value to me and not because of their billing practices.  In  the end it makes no difference to me when payment is due.  You pay them now or you pay them later.   Do the math.  If you have to pay 3 months earlier on a $10,000 cruise and you can make 3% on you money this means that you are out $75 as compared to other lines.  Hardly worth making a fuss about it.

DON

• Like 7

A private company's payment policy may be different but that doesn't mean it's "below standard".  I'm not sure why this post is here... it has nothing to do with the quality of viking cruises...

I paid well in advance for my future cruise however I can cancel with my guarantee if I had to.  Their no risk guarantee, in my opinion, was well above standard of other lines.

• Thanks 1

Viking is rather smart in asking for early payment. There are several cruise lines which publicize that a specific cruise went on sale and sold out within hours - or sold out before going on sale to the general public years in advance.

They never come back to report how many cancellations there are prior to final payment. There are many people that book and perhaps have no intention of actually taking the cruise and reserve as a just in case because they have no actual financial footprint.

Viking’s policy eliminates a lot of the game players, and provides them with more realistic information regarding occupancy and yield management.

As previous posters have mentioned - these policies are not new. If you do not. Like the policy you are always free to book elsewhere.

• Like 4