Live report - Splendor June 21 - July 8

Hi Mr Stanley,  I wanted to do the trip to Pulpit Rock,  but alas that was waitlisted.  Hence there was a 2 hour panoramic trip - tour guide was nice,  but I expected to get off the bus and we didn’t.  The options were limited,  because of changes because of Russia this cruise was modified/extended/thrown together (I think) to make the best of some bad stuff.  We are doing this because

1)  Our original cruise that included three full days in St Petersburg had to be cancelled and Regent combined two cruises and added a 30% percent off kicker! 
2) We have been to Iceland before, but only did blue Lagoon/ golden circle / Capital. We wanted to go back and do more.  Looking forward to horseback riding.  

3)  We also  have an overnight in Iceland and Oslo and we love to leave the ship for a local dinner!  

Lorraine is the CD and Frank is the GM?    I really don’t understand why this is important to others.    I want the bar guy to make me a great Cosmo!   I also want cold water to drink in my cabin!   Who is driving to boat - I’m sure that is on a piece of paper that I can’t find.  As bugs bunny would say. - That’s all Folks - until tomorrow.  

• Like 3

Yes, that was Porky Pig, but I like bugs bunny better lol.   So yesterday  was Bergen and I really like Bergen.   We had already done the funicular, so I made my own plans.   We had lunch at the restaurant Cornelius.   The picks you up right in front of the Radison Blu in town.  The trip to the restaurant is 20/30 minutes.   We had a beautiful day and everyone wanted to sit on the few seats that were outside.  There are only two possible items to order - the large or small platter of seafood.  The difference besides price is the large has a the raw items on it.  Keep in mind, when I say few - one oyster,  a small scallop that was cut in half,  a small piece of clam and another small morsel of something else.  Hence,  not very shareable,  but they were presented well and very tasty.  The next platter had a tomato salad,  in-house smoked salmon (delicious),  a shrimp salad, peel and eat shrimp and what we would call - stone crab claws.   After that there were mussels (the only hot item).   Bread was also served and for dessert,  some strawberries, ice cream and cream puff.    We ordered a South Africa chenin blanc which paired very nice with everything.   Their dinner is much more interesting, but didn’t want to take that chance of getting back to the boat late. 

Did some window shopping, but didn’t purchase anything besides cheese and deer meat salami,  we tasted that and it was very good.   That will be a snack today, since we are at sea.   We did stop at the fresh market for some very big and yummy oysters before we headed back to the ship.   Had a light dinner in compass rose - my husbands Choice was good,  my scallops not so much.   Attended the show to hear the Scottish singer - she had a great voice.   Up to the Observation lounge to watch a spectacular sunset at 11:00.  Also attempted to play name that tune - we are very bad at that. 

Clocks went back an hour last night and we slept in.  Sitting in the coffee connection.   Needless to say on our way to the Faroe Islands and it is gray and raining outside.   

if anyone has booked the gourmet food trip in Stavanger - you may want to rethink it.  We have spoken to 11 people age 16 to 75 and they all hated it.   The place wouldn’t let you order additional wine and they were stuck in the attic.   

Edited by irishwitchy
Can’t type
  • Like 1

The Splendor is having serious issues regarding dining.    During the previous, 7 day cruise, bad decisions were made about closing several specialty restaurants….on the same night!    Many guests were disappointed their reservations were cancelled or modified. It has affected the service.   Employees have been thrown off by the change in schedules and venues.

Yesterday, was a day at sea….in the North Atlantic…cold weather.    Normally, on a sea day, both Prime 7 and Chartreuse are open.     Someone in management made a choice to close Prime 7.   Chartreuse was overwhelmed and total chaos.   The servers were doing their best….but many unhappy guests.    Today, we are in the Faroe Islands….also a cold, cloudy day.    I returned from my tour at 12:45 and promptly went to Prime 7 to enjoy a champagne lunch!   The restaurant is suppose to be open from 12 to 1:30.   At 12:50, I was told the restaurant was full and closed for lunch……this was a first for me at Regent.    Again….bad decisions from management or corporate.   

2 hours ago, CruisetheCs said:

Did Regent say why they were closing some of the specialty restaurants?  I've never been on a Regent cruise where that has happened for evening dining hours.

I haven't been on a Regent cruise where this is happening yet.  If you read the different threads here and posts on the Facebook RSSC Social Club, you will read that speciality restaurants are closing down some nights.  It is a staffing issue due to Covid.  

On 6/23/2022 at 3:08 PM, mrstanley said:

What shore excursion did you do in Stavanger that required a 2 hour bus ride?

We selected: The Stavanger Archipelago & Lysefjord

Thanks!

I did that one on a 2018 cruise, and loved it. In fact, we are going to that port again in 2023, and I plan to take that same excursion again. 

• Like 1

On 6/23/2022 at 7:34 PM, carolina cruisin said:

Will be on the Jul 8 Copenhagen-Stockholm, looking forward to it.  Has anyone taken the "Overland Tour to Geirangert" (out of HHellesylt) ?  Comments?

Not sure which of several possibilities this tour represents compared to our cruise.  If your cruise goes up the Geiranger fjord, be sure to be on the ship and not on the shore for the cruise outbound from the town back through the  fjord.  This will be in the daylight hours (middle day--I mean daylight as opposed to middle of the night-daylight on the way in.). The views from the ship and the narrative are not to be missed.

• Like 1

Hi, folks!  Me keeping busy and Wi-Fi issues  in the fjords and I haven’t reported much!   I will try to find out about the crew number.   I actually was in Chartreuse that day mentioned above for lunch and it was busy.   Mind you I got there as soon as it opened, because I was concerned it would get busy, but we had a lovely lunch - it was a sea day, so we weren’t really going anywhere!   We also did a very quick lunch in Prime 7 today, but once again, we got there early and all was well, since our excursion started at 1:10.    

We had dinner in Pacific Rim and some items were very good and some not so good.   The tempura dishes were both very good and so was the sashimi - which I was pleasantly surprised by.  However, the pork/shrimp dumplings were awful and my miso black cod is better, but I did like it on the ship. 

You need to expect some bad weather and we did have that.   Like we did a walking tour in the cute little town of Seydisfjordor in the pouring rain.   However,  as the folks from this part of the world point out,  there is no bad weather, just bad clothing.   I had the rain gear, boots and umbrella - I was dry.  Some folks were not dressed properly and bailed back to the ship.   We also found this great cafe that was having a two for one lunch special.  We both had Artic Char over a very yummy mushroom risotto.  The total price was $31.  Also,  the local beer and the wedding cake, more like a rhubarb crumble and my husband had the brownie - all while looking over a nice stream with lupins growing on the banks.    Very nice day even with the bad weather.  

Akureyri,  was easy to walk from the ship and had some photo ops - 

like the big giant troll lady.   We took a tour to Santa’s house,  which was touristy and cute.    We also stopped a a museum about Nonni - a famous writer from over 100 years ago.   The museum/house was very tight and interesting.   The garden next store has another photo op of a Icelandic sea monster!   Next stop was the botanical gardens and they were fantastic.  I could have spent more time in there.   I will try to post pictures after I return home.   

Husavik,  hubby did the Whale and Puffin Safari on a RIB boat and had a great time.   Lots of pictures of both.   I went to the Myvatn Nature Baths, because I love being in water.  Very enjoyable.  They also bake rye bread from the steam and sell it in the cafe, with some butter on it and lox.  I ate the whole thing!

Last night there was a mid night sun party, but the sun didn’t want to join us 😞.    Fun time anyway.   We did get to watch whales from the dinning rooms and that was enjoyed by all.   

We are now in Reykjavik.   Time to go whale watching, see you later.  

• Like 5

Reykjavik- Our first issue was the very simple, Hop on, Hop off bus.  My husband and I were here 8 years before and did a great walking tour with a private guide, so we were using the bus to get into town and get our bearings.  We are all told to get on a yellow bus (not hop on bus, but no one is explaining that).  Here is the issue,  at least 10 people had to stand.  Bus drives to another parking lot in the port area and drops everyone off.  On the other side of the parking lot and after stepping over a metal chain like fence there was the hop on/hop off bus.   I could have been the youngest person there and got to the bus before the other 40 folks.   Anyway, that bus wasn’t operating and we needed to wait 25 minutes in a light drizzly rain.   Would have been nice if the yellow bus could have dropped off the folks with canes a bit closer to the “real” bus and not made them step over the metal chain and maybe wait until the hop on appeared.  We had dinner in town at a place called Snaps.  We ate here twice 8 years ago and it was just a good.   Perfect place for G&T drinks - lots of choices.   I can highly recommend the moule frites!   Took a taxi back to ship to get ready for whale watching and did purchase a lovely wool blanket.  Go to go and wake up my husband, if I want to eat dinner tonight.    

18 hours ago, irishwitchy said:

Reykjavik- Our first issue was the very simple, Hop on, Hop off bus.  My husband and I were here 8 years before and did a great walking tour with a private guide, so we were using the bus to get into town and get our bearings.  We are all told to get on a yellow bus (not hop on bus, but no one is explaining that).  Here is the issue,  at least 10 people had to stand.  Bus drives to another parking lot in the port area and drops everyone off.  On the other side of the parking lot and after stepping over a metal chain like fence there was the hop on/hop off bus.   I could have been the youngest person there and got to the bus before the other 40 folks.   Anyway, that bus wasn’t operating and we needed to wait 25 minutes in a light drizzly rain.   Would have been nice if the yellow bus could have dropped off the folks with canes a bit closer to the “real” bus and not made them step over the metal chain and maybe wait until the hop on appeared.  We had dinner in town at a place called Snaps.  We ate here twice 8 years ago and it was just a good.   Perfect place for G&T drinks - lots of choices.   I can highly recommend the moule frites!   Took a taxi back to ship to get ready for whale watching and did purchase a lovely wool blanket.  Go to go and wake up my husband, if I want to eat dinner tonight.    

It sounds like the yellow bus was run by the port for passengers to safely navigate the port area.  These buses usually have nothing to do with the cruise ships and run on their own schedules.  It does sound unfortunate that everyone had to stand in the rain.  Plus HOHO buses have to stay on their time tables, as well.    Yes, Destination Services should have contacted the Port Authorities to get an idea of the particulars on navigating the port area for those who wish to go out on their own.

Glad to hear that you had a good rest of your day and enjoyed a lovely meal.

Edited by NCCruzQueen
Added content