New Celebrity commercials

KevBew

I have been getting surveys from Celebrity for over a year now and they address how you feel about anything from itineraries to onboard gift items. Why didn't they survey for the new commercials? I have seen two and both are really terrible. You would think they would highlight all of the great things X has to offer. Just wondering how others feel about the new campaign.

There's 2 of them? :confused: :eek: The one I've seen in the Dining Room is so stupid. Highlight some of Celebrity's best features, but don't dumb it down. It's hard to believe they paid money for that!

Anita

I can't believe a company that provides such a wonderful cruise experience would settle for such second-rate commercials. If I didn't already love Celebrity, the commercials sure wouldn't make me consider trying a Celebrity cruise! They're just awful.

I've seen the one with the woman in the dining room - haven't seen another one. Actually, the Wolves were howling (har har get it). We thought it was funny - playing on the name celebrity - they are airing the spots during awards season and it shows an elegance to the cruise line (hey -everyone was dressed for formal night - another debate can rage over the wardrobe!). Since I work in the business, I was interested at the casting - they hired an upscale woman "of a certain age" and an upscale man in the 50-60 age bracket. Even the extras while barely visible are over 40. This explains their marketing in 30 seconds and separates it distinctly from Royal Caribbean. No they don't delve into the ship but you get a feeling of elegance, of an older crowd and a more formal atmosphere with a distinction of pampering. It seems to be Celebrity's branding not to concentrate on the cruising aspect but to show a tone - the last campaign also showed over 40 year olds talking about their cruises in their everyday environment. Looks like X has made a conscious choice to go for a niche market.

Those of you who say that you have not seen the ads probably have, but they are so bad that you never noticed that they were for Celebrity---or any cruiseline. I think that it's realy sad when Carnival ads make them seem smarter and more upscale than Celebrity!!!

I still love the Expedia ads. I still laugh at the red marker, the cats fending, the sunburned bragger--not that I have anything in common with the ad (216 days until the Milli--where is that red marker?)

Hi Everyone !

I agree with most of the comments. The thing that absolutely stuns me about these ads, is that you have to watch about 3/4 of the Ad, to figure out that it is a Celebrity Cruise commercial. the first time I saw it, I didnt even realize it was a Celebrity commercial until it was over. WHY ON EARTH would you spend MILLIONS of dollars, to NOT get your message across ? It is a very ill-advised idea.

For a Cruise Line that has SO MUCH to offer, why would they ever waste their money, by taking a very poor shot at Comedy ? If I were them, I would forget about the Comedy, and show everyone the wonderful product that Celebrity has to offer !!!!!

My advice to Celebrity ? Spend the money wisely, and SHOW your product... or dont spend the money at all.

Wolfganghowell, thanks for the analysis. Still haven't seen the ads, but at least I have an idea what to look for now. Really enjoyed your "insider's view" of the ads. We may not like the content, but I agree with the intent.

Celebrity's last ad campaign reeled me in; the couple going back home after a cruise..."there were fresh roses in my room"...."my butler knew exactly how I liked my tea"..."I wasn't to be disturbed until 9:00"..."I view this as a temporary exile" all go along with the "elegance and pampering" theme.:D

Since this is DH's first cruise (I REALLY want him to get hooked on cruising!:p )and we're not "party" folks, I wanted a more upscale experience. Yes, we both enjoy getting "all gussied up" every so often for dinner, so the formal aspect was part of the charm! We prefer wine tasting to belly flop contests, and good wine and conversation to game-show events. Celebrity's last ad campaign communicated that.

Only lines I've seen ads for recently are Royal Caribbean (lots) and Carnival (few). Saw LOTS of X ads in NOV/DEC last year....is there a "high season" for cruise line advertising? Just curious.......;)

Peggy

I found one of the commercials online (the woman on the staircase making an acceptance speech) and thought it was amusing and effective. I'm no markting maven, but I expect they're looking to solidify the brand name more than just broadcast "book a cruise - book a cruise!" Actually my campy new cruise friends and I made a point of entering the dining room on deck 5 each evening with the specific intent of "working the staircase" down to our table on deck 4. The commercial simply corroborates the tastes of many of us who already love the product (just maybe not ALL of us).

This is very interesting to me since I know what the intent was - this is a marketer's dream audience right here. It would be interesting to note if Celebrity targeted their campaign toward repeat cruisers or simply "elegant vacationers". If they are not targeting "us" (the dedicated cruiser) they may be targeting "not us". Mr Wolf and I also loved the temporary exile line from the last campaign and used it for months!

Finally - since you guys can feel my pain - a client of mine had the Celebrity account for about 5 minutes. I was all set to negotiate a heckuva deal - waive my fees for a free cruise! - when it went away just that fast. I seem to recall that X and RCI have the same agency but yet the difference in their targeting is obvious.

Thanks for the link, now I've seen them. "Accent" was cute, "Acceptance Speech" wasn't....like last years better.

It does seem X is emphasizing the upscale elements; not a rock wall or wave runner in sight, just formally dressed people "of a certain age" enjoying "the good life". Isn't that what X is about? Large mainstream line offering a more luxury cruise experience?

:p Say what you may about the "corny, hoaky" commercials that X runs. But, everytime they end and I see that "X" floating by, I get the urge to splurge! I loved watching the eldery man trying to close the broken blinds in his office and the poor woman driving her husband to work, as she longingly looks out her car window or the woman sipping her tea in her bathrobe, in her typical apartment kitchen exclaiming that she was once a "queen in her castle!" They're catering to US! The masses! The woman standing in the dining room, making her exceptance speech to her husband for taking her on this fabulous cruise made me question what it was about but it left me wanting to know more! And, being a Celebrity fan I can feel the pain, when I'm not cruizin!

Happy Sails to You;) ,

Roz

I've seen the one with the woman in the dining room - haven't seen another one. Actually, the Wolves were howling (har har get it). We thought it was funny - playing on the name celebrity - they are airing the spots during awards season and it shows an elegance to the cruise line (hey -everyone was dressed for formal night - another debate can rage over the wardrobe!). Since I work in the business, I was interested at the casting - they hired an upscale woman "of a certain age" and an upscale man in the 50-60 age bracket. Even the extras while barely visible are over 40. This explains their marketing in 30 seconds and separates it distinctly from Royal Caribbean. No they don't delve into the ship but you get a feeling of elegance, of an older crowd and a more formal atmosphere with a distinction of pampering. It seems to be Celebrity's branding not to concentrate on the cruising aspect but to show a tone - the last campaign also showed over 40 year olds talking about their cruises in their everyday environment. Looks like X has made a conscious choice to go for a niche market.

Hear, hear! Although I loved last year's commercials, I think these new ones also communicate the message that yes, this is a cruise line for grownups--but unlike HAL's radio and TV commercials--grownups who like to have an elegant, but fun time. And they play on "celebrity" in both commercials is a cute touch.

I liked last years better.

The acceptance speech was silly... and the James Bond man seemed overdressed for what seemed to be "casual night dining" :D

I'm not an experienced X'er (first cruise in May), but I thought the commercials were great!

Tom

I think these new ones also communicate the message that yes, this is a cruise line for grownups-grownups who like to have an elegant, but fun time

I preferred last years commercials. I could relate to last years commercials, in which all the cruisers who were now back at work or doing chores etc. are thinking back to when they were on the cruise and made to feel super special.

These new commercials just showed people dressed in a tux or evening gown acting silly IMHO.

haven't seen accent but I loved it. Mr Wolf does that on formal nights too - maybe I can sue for copying him. intellectual property or something. ha ha

again - I am very struck by how X is labeling their market. I feel like I should check my bank accounts because I'm feeling so upscale. But then I don't want to be disappointed. ha

IMO Celebrity "missed the boat" when they failed to lay claim to a catchy tune, i.e., Bobby Darrin's "Beyond the Sea" (Carnival beat them to it).

I find myself humming that Darrin tune for hours after watching a Carnival commercial - - and would love to remember my Celebrity cruises (and make me want to book future ones) in this fashion ... :(

I don't know about anyone else, but I like my TV commercials of great cruising to be all about the song - which is why (I think) the Royal Caribbean rockwall-climbing one works very well. Who can forget those great drums in that ad?

Horrible horrible adverts both this years and last. The only one I liked of Celebrity's was the one for the introduction of Cirque on board.

My favourite cruiseline commercials have been Carnival's Christmas one with the gold wrapped Carnival cruiseship and

The other is one that RCCL is running showing the teenage daughter being caught smiling and dropping the smile and speeding away on her jetski when she realises she has been caught.

Archived