Hong Kong's Jumbo Floating Restaurant

rkacruiser

A victim of the pandemic, the restaurant was closed and financial difficulties occurred.  The company that owns/runs the restaurant decided they could no longer afford it and, particularly, where it was docked.  A tow began to a site that was expected to be less expensive until the restaurant could be sold.  Recently, a few days after the tow began, in the South China Seas, the ocean became rough enough that Jumbo could not handle those conditions and sank into three thousand plus feet of water.  A sad end to a restaurant that served so many, many people during its existence.  

18 hours ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

Although the owner claimed it was an accident, but everybody knows this happened intentionally. 😔

Interesting.  One way of getting rid of a liability and maybe getting some insurance money from it?

Jumbo was on my bucket list.  I have visited Hong Kong at least three times and never made a visit.  So many things to experience and do in your city!  

• Thanks 1

Remember that there were two floating restaurants in Aberdeen.  The other one, Tai Pak is smaller and much older.  It is still there, although as a laid up ship it is not now operating as a restaurant.  Hopefully, in the future it will open again.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

Remember that there were two floating restaurants in Aberdeen.  The other one, Tai Pak is smaller and much older.  It is still there, although as a laid up ship it is not now operating as a restaurant.  Hopefully, in the future it will open again.  

I did not know this.  Thanks for the information.

I wonder if I had been able to dine at Jumbo, if there would have been confusion as to which of the two I had tried to reserve.