21 Chef’s Table Menus?

Clay Clayton

What a great idea!

I can confirm that number 10 was called "A Gastronomic Journey Through Time" as this is one of the few menus that we have kept. The Description says "Explore culinary history with this five course menu highlighting the development of western European cuisine from the Roman Empire to today"

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, photopro2 said:

What a great idea!

I can confirm that number 10 was called "A Gastronomic Journey Through Time" as this is one of the few menus that we have kept. The Description says "Explore culinary history with this five course menu highlighting the development of western European cuisine from the Roman Empire to today"

Do you have a picture of that menu?  Or even a list of the different dishes?  It sounds really interesting.

48 minutes ago, photopro2 said:

What a great idea!

Thank you!

1. British 1

2. British 2

3. Lotus

4. Asian Panorama

5. Xiang

6. California

7. Route des Indes

8. Scandinavian

9. Mexican (not it’s actual name)

10. A Gastronomic Journey Through Time

11. Sweet & Salty

14 hours ago, bookbabe said:

Do you have a picture of that menu?

Here you go...... It was on Viking Sea in 2017.

For us the Chefs Table is one of the highlights of cruising but we don't recall seeing this menu recently.

Food from the past is an interesting theme and my only criticism might be that it deserved a less commonplace dessert.

IMG_20220624_120030 copy 2.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, photopro2 said:

Here you go...... It was on Viking Sea in 2017.

For us the Chefs Table is one of the highlights of cruising but we don't recall seeing this menu recently.

Food from the past is an interesting theme and my only criticism might be that it deserved a less commonplace dessert.

IMG_20220624_120030 copy 2.jpg

I've had this menu on a recent cruise.  Yes!

I’m not gonna add this Sri Lankan menu to the numbered list since the friend on the World Cruise was told it was a one off special for the WC.  But I know I would like to have it! (Are you listening Viking?)

92E0605A-51FF-44AF-9EA7-1AD9EA71C92F.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

I’m not gonna add this Sri Lankan menu to the numbered list since the friend on the World Cruise was told it was a one off special for the WC.  But I know I would like to have it! (Are you listening Viking?)

92E0605A-51FF-44AF-9EA7-1AD9EA71C92F.png

Here are the eleven Chef's Table menus that we have enjoyed on Viking:

Xiang

Amuse Bouche

Hot & Sour Soup - cantonese style

First Course

Fried Prawns - crispy garlic & chili

Granité

Coconut Granité - lemongrass & ginger infused

Main Course

Wok-Fried Beef - black pepper sauce, rice in lotus leaf

Dessert

Chilled Mango Cream - pomelo and sago

Asian Panorama

Amuse Bouche

Chilled King Crab - coconut foam & curry

First Course

Lobster & Chicken Shu Mai - Shanghai style

Granité

Lemongrass & Red Chili Granité - lychee foam

Main Course

Peking Duck - crispy skin, Mandarin pancake, hoisin sauce

Dessert

Asian Trilogy - spring roll, crème brûlée & cheesecake

Mexico

Amuse Bouche

Tostadas De Pulpo

First Course

Tamalito De Pollo - salsa verde

Granité

Nopales Con Limon

Main Course

Short Rib - mole, pure de camote, miel de agave

Dessert

Chocolate En Texturas - mousse, biscocho, crumble

La Route Des Indes

Amuse Bouche

Carrot & Cardamon Cream - orange & star anise foam

First Course

Spicy Tuna Tataki - Szechuan peppercorns, coriander & sesame oil; pickled vegetables

Granité

Ginger & Tarragon Granité - infused vodka, lemon foam

Main Course

Beef Tenderloin With Four Warm Spices - vitelotte mousseline, mushrooms, jus

Dessert

Apple Délice Facon Tarte Tatin - butterscotch calvados sauce

Erling's Scandinavian Bistro

Amuse Bouche

Reindeer Consommé - handmade ravioli

First Course

Salmon Déclinaison - herb crusted poached loin, aquavit infused gravlax, lingonberry infused tartare, caviar; pickled cucumber

Granité

Lappland Delight Granité

Main Course

Lamb Får-i-kål - façon chef’s table

Dessert

Cloudberry Soup, Vanilla - white chocolate panna cotta; sesame ice cream and goro (wafer)

Lotus

Amuse Bouche

Goan Potato Chop – semolina crusted potato, vegetable & cheese cake; sambal spinach

First Course

Chili Soft Shell Crab – crispy crab, tomato-chili gravy

Granité

Red Lotus – lychee & guava, cranberry juice, lychee liquor

Main Course

Thai Spiced Rack of Lamb – stir fried purple eggplant; sweet chili, baby corn

Dessert

Yuzu Cheesecake – green tea tuile, sake-marinated plum

Venice Carnival

Amuse Bouche

Roasted Pepper & Tomato Jelly – goat chesse latte foam

First Course

Beef Carpaccio – fig & mustard vinaigrette

Granité

Bellini – peach juice foam

Main Course

Cod Fillet – Jerusalem artichoke risotto, latte di tartufo

Dessert

Mascarpone Passion – mascarpone mousse & passion fruit cremeux

A Gastronomic Journey Through Time

Amuse Bouche

Roman Empire Delicacy – romaine & cucumber, goat cheese mousse

First Course

Gallic Oxtail Consomme – julienned vegetables

Granité

Medieval “Black & Blue” - vodka, mint & mixed berries

Main Course

Renaissance-Style Lamb Filet – sweet potato mash, glazed carrot medley, quintessential ju

Dessert

21st Century Nut Brownie – pecan & walnut, chocolate mirror glaze; pistachio ice cream

Sweet and Salty

Amuse Bouche

Tomato & Watermelon Gazpacho

First Course

Grilled Scallop with Beet root and passion fruit

Granité

Procciutto & Melon

Main Course

Veal Tenderloin with pumpkin & red onion marmalade

Dessert

Strawberry & Basil Delight with Grand Marnier Cream, basil jelly and black Hawaiian lava salt

Great Britain: Cuisine from an Island Nation

Amuse Bouche

Quail Scotch Eggs – quick pickle, edible flowers, dressed baby salad leaves

First Course

Beer-Battered Fish & Chips – vinegar salt, minted pea puree, tartar sauce

Granité

Gin & Tonic – lemon twist

Main Course

Mini Yorkshire Pudding & Slow Braised Brisket – rich beef gravy, garden vegetables with chive butter

Dessert

Whim-Wham – Scittish Regency trifle with raspberries, oranges & whipped cream

California

Amuse Bouche

Sweet Potato Chip with apple, rosemary, crème fraiche

First Course

Crab Cake with avocado, orange, fennel, shallot, dill & blood orange

Granité

Moscow Mule with vodka, ginger beer & lime juice

Main Course

Seared Halibut with California olive, herb vinaigrette, crumbled roasted cauliflower, buttered panko

Dessert

Ojai Mandarin Parfait with candied ginger

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

12 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Thank you!  This is an amazing compilation.  Will be pasting and saving it.

You should add the Sri Lankan Menu to this list which we have never enjoyed but look forward to trying on some future cruise when it is offered.

44 minutes ago, Dukefan said:

You should add the Sri Lankan Menu to this list which we have never enjoyed but look forward to trying on some future cruise when it is offered.

Thanks for the menus.  That is the same British Menu we had-not sure how #2 differs.  I’m gonna ask Karen B-B if she can share it with us.
Now if w expulsions just figure out what the other eleven are🤔.

I posted a picture of the Sri Lankan but Jim (you may remember he and Lynn (from Colorado Springs) from our Iceland cruise said they were told it was a one time special menu just for the World Cruise😢

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 1

On 6/21/2022 at 7:44 PM, Mich3554 said:

You didn’t mention wanting to see the menu before you sailed, just before you made your reservations.  TBH, I have yet to make a reservation before I sail and make reservations for both restaurants once I’m on board.  

I have only been in V cabin who gets no advance reservations for dining.  I do it when I board but I do wish we had an idea of proposed schedule with description so we could get things in order before we board.  A lot of activity on the first day on board so we could at least have a plan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dauntless said:

I have only been in V cabin who gets no advance reservations for dining.  I do it when I board but I do wish we had an idea of proposed schedule with description so we could get things in order before we board.  A lot of activity on the first day on board so we could at least have a plan.

Before Covid when we had Roll Calls with several active members you could post a question online like "For those of you in suites on this cruise, what are the different chef's table menus that will be available on this cruise?" about 75 days in advance and someone would often post an answer.   Now Viking Cruise Critic Roll Calls for a specific cruise may have only 5-10 or even less folks on the topic so getting this type of information is even more challenging.  You could try asking the "chat person" on Viking's website if they can provide you this information.   I know it is generally available about 80-90 days before embarkation.

Heard back from Karen Burns-Booth.  She sent the British #2 menu. Sounds yummy! Hope I get to try it sometime!

“Great Britain”
Classic Tastes of an Island Nation
By Guest Chef Karen S Burns-Booth

Amuse Bouche: Glamorgan Sausages, Apple Chutney, Edible Flowers and Dressed Baby Salad Leaves 

First Course: Beer Batter Fish & Chips, Vinegar Salt, Minted Pea Purée, Tartare Sauce

Granite: Pimm’s Number 1 Cup, with Cucumber, Strawberries and Mint

Main Course: Mini Beef & Guinness Pies, Champ Potatoes and Spiced Red Cabbage

Dessert: Everlasting Lemon Syllabub with Shortbread Fingers, Whipped Wine infused Cream with Lemon, served with Shortbread Fingers and Candied Lemon Twist

British recipes history:

Glamoragan Sausages:

These Welsh vegetarian leek and cheese sausages have some history behind them; they were traditionally made and served for breakfast, and George Borrow, a fascinating character, is known to have mentioned them in his book called “Wild Wales” which is based on his travels around Wales during the 1850’s. They were originally made with Glamorgan cheese, which is no longer made, however Caerphilly cheese is now used in the recipe, which is a direct descendant of Glamorgan cheese and has the same texture and flavour. Served with another British classic, Chutney, these make a fabulous starter course or a simple supper dish.

Pimm’s Number 1 Cup:

Pimm’s Number 1 cup is a quintessential English cocktail, beloved of “The Chelsea Flower Show”, “Wimbledon”, “drinks on the lawn” as well as summer garden parties at Oxford and Cambridge Universities. It usually served in a jug which is garnished with fresh strawberries, cucumber, oranges and mint. It was first produced in 1823 by James Pimm in Kent, England, and there were originally 6 “Cups” of which the gin-based Number 1 Cup was, and still is the most popular. A Classic Pimm’s Cocktail is made with clear, carbonated lemonade.

Fish and Chips are probably one of Britain’s most iconic and famous dishes, which isn’t surprising, as Britain is an island nation with access to some of the world’s best fresh fish. The first “chips” were in actual fact pieces of bread which were replaced with potatoes during wheat shortages. The first “chippies” (a colloquial slang term for a Fish and Chip shop) was Lees’s in Mosley, Lancashire, and Malin’s in London’s East End – they both opened for trade during the 1860’s. During the Second World War the minister of food didn’t ration fish and chips because they provided a cheap and nutritious meal. Fish and chips are also called “Fish Suppers” and are loved by all, both rich and poor. The most popular fish used in a fish supper is cod closely followed by haddock, although more sustainable varieties such as hake and pollock are often used nowadays. It’s traditional to serve fish and chips with salt and (malt) vinegar and it was always served wrapped in newspaper until fairly recently.

Beef & Guinness Pies with Spiced Red Cabbage and Champ Potatoes:

Britain is a nation of pies, with the first recorded pies being made during medieval times, where the pastry crust was discarded and only the filling was eaten. There are many famous and regional pies still being made today, such as Cornish Pasties, Bedfordshire Clangers, Melton Mowbray Pork Pies and Steak & Kidney Pie. Beef & Guinness Pie is based on the traditional British beef pies, where the meat is encased in a rich shortcrust pastry case, all of which is eaten nowadays. Pies are traditionally served with mashed potatoes and peas, but spiced red cabbage is a regional variation that is popular in the North West of England and Ireland. Champ is a Northern Irish dish of mashed potatoes, spring onions (scallions) and butter, which is perfect when served with any kind of pie, boiled ham or sausages.

Everlasting Lemon Syllabub with Shortbread Fingers:

A simple and delicious dessert that has a long history throughout England in particular. It’s a wine and lemon infused creamy type of mousse which is served in wine glasses and is called everlasting as once the cream is whipped, it stays firm, unlike earlier versions of the recipe that were served as a frothy drink. Hannah Glasse, in the 18th century, published the recipe for “Whipt Syllabubs” in “The Art of Cookery Made Plain and Easy”. The recipe included "a quart of thick cream, and half a pint of sack (sherry), the juice of two Seville oranges or lemons, and half a pound of double refined sugar." After whipping the ingredients together, they were poured into glasses and were served with dainty biscuits (cookies) or small sponge fingers. Shortbread is known globally as one of Scotland’s most famous biscuit (cookie) Made with just three ingredients, it’s a short and buttery treat that just melts in the mouth.

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Heard back from Karen Burns-Booth.  She sent the British #2 menu. Sounds yummy! Hope I get to try it sometime!

“Great Britain”
Classic Tastes of an Island Nation
By Guest Chef Karen S Burns-Booth

Amuse Bouche: Glamorgan Sausages, Apple Chutney, Edible Flowers and Dressed Baby Salad Leaves 

First Course: Beer Batter Fish & Chips, Vinegar Salt, Minted Pea Purée, Tartare Sauce

Granite: Pimm’s Number 1 Cup, with Cucumber, Strawberries and Mint

Main Course: Mini Beef & Guinness Pies, Champ Potatoes and Spiced Red Cabbage

Dessert: Everlasting Lemon Syllabub with Shortbread Fingers, Whipped Wine infused Cream with Lemon, served with Shortbread Fingers and Candied Lemon Twist

Another wonderful Chef's Table Menu to look forward too.  Thanks for posting.  It appears we now have 13 of the 21 Chef's Table Menus.   Since we have only tried 11 of them, we have 10 more to look forward too.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Dukefan said:

Another wonderful Chef's Table Menu to look forward too.  Thanks for posting.  It appears we now have 13 of the 21 Chef's Table Menus.   Since we have only tried 11 of them, we have 10 more to look forward too.

Lucky you!  We have more than that 😢.  I’m so hoping to try Sweet & Salty. 

59 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Lucky you!  We have more than that 😢.  I’m so hoping to try Sweet & Salty. 

The Sweet & Salty was one of our favorities.  Unfortunately we have only had it once!

May I say, this is such a welcome discussion and exchange of information - just like the old pre-Covid days!  So wonderful not to have those depressing threads on Covid testing, quarantining etc!  
thanks again Clay!   Food is always one of our favorite things on Viking!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

May I say, this is such a welcome discussion and exchange of information - just like the old pre-Covid days!  So wonderful not to have those depressing threads on Covid testing, quarantining etc!  
thanks again Clay!   Food is always one of our favorite things on Viking!!

Chef's Table - food and wine

2 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Yeah, I was going to say the same.  Not Indian but Indes.

Duh. Now I understand why it didn’t seem to include a curry or three! It’s been so long since we had the menu that I didn’t recognize the pictures. 

A bit late to the discussion, have been camping! I have wanted to see a thread where all the Chef's Table menus in one place, so this is great fun.

From my reading of blogs etc. here are a couple of menus that I have seen mentioned, but do not have a picture of the menu.

Anthony's French Bistro - the main dish is Sole with lobster sauce (has anyone ever had this menu?)

Quebec - lobster terrine, arctic char, main dish is deer loin, and maple syrup cake.

From Rose Brooks blog on the Star world cruise she posted pictures from the Chef's table, not sure if they are included in regular cruises or special to the world cruise.

- a Mexican menu with fish tacos as main (1/21/2022)

- A Taste of Thailand - main was Massaman Curry Braised Short Ribs (3/15/2022)

- Indian menu - main Lamb Korma (4/2/2022)

- Sri Lankan - main Peppered beef (4/5/2022)

- Indonesian - main Beef Rendang (4/14/2022)

I don't think anyone has posted about the Australia 1 menu

Not sure if these are included in the 21 that are mentioned in the video, bur I think we are getting close:)

8 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Duh. Now I understand why it didn’t seem to include a curry or three! It’s been so long since we had the menu that I didn’t recognize the pictures. 

Yes, I think the focus is on flavors based on the history of the  spice trade. We did enjoy it. I would certainly sign up for a Viking's Chef's Table version of Indian food! Viking, are you listening? 

• Like 1