Missed Port Lerwick

kcpvwill

We should have docked in Lerwick, Shetlands today, but woke up to find that weather conditions were such that we couldn’t get in to Lerwick.  (Winds and narrow channel?) Captain’s noon announcement might elaborate.  

It turned out we were right it was the wind,  as the waves are not bad.  

It appears we must jinx the Shetlands as we missed them when we did the Northern Lights cruise in February.  

So now we have 3 consecutive sea days as we sail to the North Cape.  Lots of reading and eating! 

Yesterday was an enjoyable day in Orkney with good weather, great scenery and history.  

Has anyone made it into Lerwick this year?  We are due to return on 3rd July.  

23 minutes ago, kcpvwill said:

We should have docked in Lerwick, Shetlands today, but woke up to find that weather conditions were such that we couldn’t get in to Lerwick.  (Winds and narrow channel?) Captain’s noon announcement might elaborate.  

It appears we must jinx the Shetlands as we missed them when we did the Northern Lights cruise in February.  

So now we have 3 consecutive sea days as we sail to the North Cape.  Lots of reading and eating! 

Yesterday was an enjoyable day in Orkney with good weather, great scenery and history.  

When we sailed the Midnight Sun itinerary and followed previous and earlier then July sailings, we found that the June ones often missed one or the other of the Scotish islands due to wind as well as being unable to tender in Edinborough due to choppy seas.

11 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

When we sailed the Midnight Sun itinerary and followed previous and earlier then July sailings, we found that the June ones often missed one or the other of the Scotish islands due to wind as well as being unable to tender in Edinborough due to choppy seas.

Interesting. How did you find that out? I’d like to check on how September weather typically affects these ports.

8 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

Interesting. How did you find that out? I’d like to check on how September weather typically affects these ports.

Now this was in 2018 and the world weather patterns have already changed dramatically.  I found and waded through multiple pages of Roll Calls for the 2 years prior to when we were to travel and for the earlier ones for our year.  I also followed North and Norwegian Sea weather patterns during the 15 months prior to our sailing.  Many years previous I took a ship to travel from Oslo, Norway to Newcastle-on-Tyne, England and I was seasick in my bunk during the entire 2 night crossing.  As the Midnight Sun was my first real cruise, i was more interersted in sea state rather then missing ports.  I learned a whole lot by reading those roll calls.

8 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Now this was in 2018 and the world weather patterns have already changed dramatically.  I found and waded through multiple pages of Roll Calls for the 2 years prior to when we were to travel and for the earlier ones for our year.  I also followed North and Norwegian Sea weather patterns during the 15 months prior to our sailing.  Many years previous I took a ship to travel from Oslo, Norway to Newcastle-on-Tyne, England and I was seasick in my bunk during the entire 2 night crossing.  As the Midnight Sun was my first real cruise, i was more interersted in sea state rather then missing ports.  I learned a whole lot by reading those roll calls.

Smart. Thanks.

35 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

35 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

We sailed in September (In the Wake of Vikings) and missed Lerwick and one of the Greenland stops. The ship that did the same route a few days ahead of us also missed the Faeroe Islands due to weather.

Edited by janetcbl
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

How about July?  What are our chances of missing ports? 

The weather is always unpredictable, especially in higher latitudes. You also have to factor in the approach channels, tender port/docking, Captain's risk tolerance, cruise line policies & procedures, ship's mechanical status, availability of tugs, etc.

Without thorough research, or having been to the ports multiple times before, it is impossible to provide an informed opinion.

I concur with the previous response; best guess is you have a reasonable probability of missing at least 1 port. As I have posted many times, we consider the itinerary finalised once we disembark.

• Like 2

What a pity that you missed Lerwick - in my top 5 favourite ports of call (from over 30 cruises).  But we were incredibly lucky with the weather. 

Hoping to do the Midnight Sun cruise again, maybe next year.

Have been reading Ann Cleeves’ Shetland series of police dramas and soon realised just how windy it is there.The islands are very frequently shut down with no flights or ferries able to function and the islanders just have to wait for the winds to die down before life can return to normal.

9 hours ago, kcpvwill said:

We are on Viking Mars and were in Lerwick yesterday and the weather wasn’t too bad.  It actually cleared up in time for Sail Away which was lovely.  On Monday we were in the Orkneys and it was a miserable day with strong winds and off & on rain. 

• Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 1:14 PM, kcpvwill said:

When was this post written?   We were on the Bergen to Greenwich trip & landed in the Shetlands last Tuesday

On 6/22/2022 at 3:51 PM, sugarside said:

Have been reading Ann Cleeves’ Shetland series of police dramas and soon realised just how windy it is there.The islands are very frequently shut down with no flights or ferries able to function and the islanders just have to wait for the winds to die down before life can return to normal.

With the rate of murders there, somewhat concerned about visiting.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4