Price Reductions

davecttr

I have received an email from 'Paul Ludlow' about price reductions. In my case to my Arvia cruise next April. I had already paid the full amount as it was FCC moved from last January and have already received £261 back for the difference from then. I received an invoice yesterday and the Arvia cruise is now £1945, down from £2398 so I am due another refund of £453, almost 19% reduction, moneys will be automatically refunded 😁

Wonder whats going on

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I've known quite large amounts of obc being offered when prices dropped,  so much so that it was difficult to spend even on bar bills and excursions but I'm talking at least 15 years ago.  An unrequested  refund though? I know it's hot down in Southampton bit something is very strange!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

That's an excellent move from P&O if it's a new general policy.  Might encourage a lot more people to book, if they could be sure that they weren't 'overpaying' with dynamic pricing.

I wonder whether it is a general policy, or whether it's just specific cruises?

Moley?

• Like 2

I tried a few bookings for the Arvia cruise and there was lots of cabin availability. Also did a booking for 2 people and that price has dropped as well. The single supplement %age is now 44% which in my experience is pretty good for P&O.

28 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I tried a few bookings for the Arvia cruise and there was lots of cabin availability. Also did a booking for 2 people and that price has dropped as well. The single supplement %age is now 44% which in my experience is pretty good for P&O.

Sounds like desperation to me they must be losing customers hand over fist and frightened even more will be bailing on them can’t imagine why people would be doing this with their fantastic customer service record lately 🤷‍♂️

We are booked on Arvia next June and  noticed the price had gone down. I called P&O, only to be told that as we had agreed to pay the original price when we booked they wouldn't do anything. Ended up cancelling and rebooking but lost around £150 deposit.

Was originally ok with that if that's the rule, but now to read this, I'm not too impressed. I guess would need further info as to what cruises are affected or if its a general rule

7 hours ago, davecttr said:

I have received an email from 'Paul Ludlow' about price reductions. In my case to my Arvia cruise next April. I had already paid the full amount as it was FCC moved from last January and have already received £261 back for the difference from then. I received an invoice yesterday and the Arvia cruise is now £1945, down from £2398 so I am due another refund of £453, almost 19% reduction, moneys will be automatically refunded 😁

Wonder whats going on

Very interesting.

Thanks for posting Dave and happy for you.

This happens with Royal Caribbean for their US guests.

We are booked on Azura,Iona and Ventura so 🙏🤞 I get a £ refund.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

The prices on our Aurora Med cruise in 2023 has gone up and by quite a lot.  Interesting.  And no Saver fares available.  Maybe they can't fill the big ones.

Fares on the "smaller ships " have risen quite steeply, whereas the bigger ships seem to be attracting the biggest discounts ,bit of a message to P and O there about the future of Aurora and Arcadia ?  

• Like 4

Sounds to me as though prices are going up on the smaller ships to discourage people from booking.  Question is why.  Is it true that Arcadia has been sold and this will mean less refunds or will lower booking figures alter the statistics and prove that she needs to be sold or maybe another reason entirely?

41 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Who said Arcadia had been sold? 

Rumours that’s all - haven’t seen or heard anything to substantiate . Hope it stays - along with aurora

Edited by paulatsea
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Pippa04 said:

Sounds to me as though prices are going up on the smaller ships to discourage people from booking.  Question is why.  Is it true that Arcadia has been sold and this will mean less refunds or will lower booking figures alter the statistics and prove that she needs to be sold or maybe another reason entirely?

Could be just supply and demand.

Rising inflation and mortgage rates may have dampened the family market at which the big ships are aimed. The older passengers who tend to favour the smaller ships may have inflation linked pensions and no mortgage, so may be less affected.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Pippa04 said:

Sounds to me as though prices are going up on the smaller ships to discourage people from booking. 

Sorry but that is sheer nincompoopery.  

There are fewer cabins available on the two adult ships,  the cabins sell out early, so P&O increase prices to reflect reduced availability. 

You are just starting a rumour with no factual evidence, just a lack of understanding of fluid pricing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Sorry but that is sheer nincompoopery.  

There are fewer cabins available on the two adult ships,  the cabins sell out early, so P&O increase prices to reflect reduced availability. 

You are just starting a rumour with no factual evidence, just a lack of understanding of fluid pricing.

My personal opinion is that £8500 for 19 nights on Arcadia is more than just a result of fluid pricing which I understand perfectly well thank you.Excessive fares such as that will not sell and ultimately P and O need passengers spending on ships as well as paying the initial fare.

I thought that a message board was a place to express opinions without

fear of overly aggressive responses  but obviously that's sheer nincompoopery. 

5 minutes ago, Pippa04 said:

My personal opinion is that £8500 for 19 nights on Arcadia is more than just a result of fluid pricing which I understand perfectly well thank you.Excessive fares such as that will not sell and ultimately P and O need passengers spending on ships as well as paying the initial fare.

I thought that a message board was a place to express opinions without

fear of overly aggressive responses  but obviously that's sheer nincompoopery. 

I was just trying to stop you starting a rumour without any evidence.

P&O have never dramatically increased fares prior to selling off ships. Why would they start now ? 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Denarius said:

Could be just supply and demand.

Rising inflation and mortgage rates may have dampened the family market at which the big ships are aimed. The older passengers who tend to favour the smaller ships may have inflation linked pensions and no mortgage, so may be less affected.

Valid point.  A lot of cruise lines may be regretting the change to ever larger ships but it's difficult to see how giving unrequested refunds on those ships will help profitability.

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

I was just trying to stop you starting a rumour without any evidence.

P&O have never dramatically increased fares prior to selling off ships. Why would they start now ? 

I think you'll find that was my question...

If you think I was trying to start a rumour about the smaller ships being sold you obviously haven't been reading this board too closely recently!