Jump to content

May not be able to cruise after all, and Celebrity isn't interested in helping :(


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, cangelmd said:

It sounds like much of your problem is out of your control and you have my sympathy (and I’m going to rush and check my passport).

Everyone should also remember that many destinations require your passport to have at least 6 months of validity left when you travel, so renewal should very early in the year that it expires.

It might be helpful to add “passport issue”, or something similar to your thread title to help disseminate these valuable reminders!

 I hope you get this resolved and have a wonderful trip!

Good point about the requirement when travelling.  My wife and I are considering carefully when to send hers for renewal.  It expires next year and we have three cruises booked over the next two.  Though if things get worked out here in Canada sooner then later, that at least will make it easier!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, WorkerBee74 said:

 

100%!  How on earth do you expect a cruise ship company to up and tell other countries not to require a passport because you're their customer and you can't get one in time?  Seriously, just think about that for a minute.

 

I don't mean to be harsh, but as a Canadian this has been in the news for a couple of years now with warnings to renew your passport ASAP because once restrictions lift there's going to be a mass rush on passports and it's going to be rough.

 

 

I truly don't understand how people read things into people's posts.  When did I say Celebrity should tell the US "Sorry, this guy doesn't need a passport?"  Where did I say that?  I would never even consider that.

 

I said I felt annoyed that Celebrity couldn't accommodate something in regards to my situation like offering a FCC or even a partial refund due to this.

 

And yes, I am aware of the situation though it was not as bad when I applied.  Service Canada's website said 30 days turnaround when I applied, which was months ago now.

 

Honestly, I'm just annoyed, I get it but still just annoying I could be out thousands of dollars.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, OttawaJohn said:

 

 

And yes, I am aware of the situation though it was not as bad when I applied.  Service Canada's website said 30 days turnaround when I applied, which was months ago now.

 

Honestly, I'm just annoyed, I get it but still just annoying I could be out thousands of dollars.

Canada needs to work harder and do better.  Sucks for sure, I hope the docs come through. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Canada needs to work harder and do better.  Sucks for sure, I hope the docs come through. 

Did just see something that Trudeau is going to try and fix it.  Unclear how 🙂  But again, overall, I love my country.  Just sometimes our bureaucracy is a tad on the slow side.  We always seem to be answering the last crisis, not the current or future ones.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, OttawaJohn said:

I truly don't understand how people read things into people's posts.  When did I say Celebrity should tell the US "Sorry, this guy doesn't need a passport?"  Where did I say that?  I would never even consider that.

 

I said I felt annoyed that Celebrity couldn't accommodate something in regards to my situation like offering a FCC or even a partial refund due to this.

 

And yes, I am aware of the situation though it was not as bad when I applied.  Service Canada's website said 30 days turnaround when I applied, which was months ago now.

 

Honestly, I'm just annoyed, I get it but still just annoying I could be out thousands of dollars.

 

Don't want to start a big argument because I know your situation is crappy already, but the reason you are asking for the FCC is that you're asking the cruise company to assume the fall for you not having a passport.  What about your flights?  Unless you have a refundable ticket, I'm positive you'd be out of luck on a refund with them as well.

 

I truly do hope that you can get something back on this... how much longer do you have until you leave?  I just read that people in Montreal are literally camping out overight who are supposed to leave this week for France... maybe there's still a chance you can get it in time?  Can you choose the expedited option?  Might cost a bit more but worth it for what you stand to lose if you can't get an FCC....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

HI,

Have you called your local passport office? My Daughter ran into the same issue with her son's passport. She made 3 calls and was ready to pay for expedited service but luckily the PP arrived before there planned trip. That being said, this was at the end of January  and we are in a smaller city.

So there is hope yet. Good luck!!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, WorkerBee74 said:

 

Don't want to start a big argument because I know your situation is crappy already, but the reason you are asking for the FCC is that you're asking the cruise company to assume the fall for you not having a passport.  What about your flights?  Unless you have a refundable ticket, I'm positive you'd be out of luck on a refund with them as well.

 

I truly do hope that you can get something back on this... how much longer do you have until you leave?  I just read that people in Montreal are literally camping out overight who are supposed to leave this week for France... maybe there's still a chance you can get it in time?  Can you choose the expedited option?  Might cost a bit more but worth it for what you stand to lose if you can't get an FCC....

 

Montreal is the worst from what I've read as well, which is odd since they have multiple locations I think, whereas I only have one in Ottawa 😞  Still, it's a month out as I said, so hopeful.

 

Flights are the one bright spot right now, I have tickets that can be refunded as credit, and have two years to use them.  So I won't be out that expense at least.  And if I get the excurions and other purchases back, that's something to.  Still several thousand out but not as bad as it could be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, cruizingOmi said:

HI,

Have you called your local passport office? My Daughter ran into the same issue with her son's passport. She made 3 calls and was ready to pay for expedited service but luckily the PP arrived before there planned trip. That being said, this was at the end of January  and we are in a smaller city.

So there is hope yet. Good luck!!!

Well there is a story in the paper where a woman flew from Vancouver to Edmonton to get it done as it was faster lol 

 

Just hope I'm not in that situation!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, OttawaJohn said:

 

Montreal is the worst from what I've read as well, which is odd since they have multiple locations I think, whereas I only have one in Ottawa 😞  Still, it's a month out as I said, so hopeful.

 

Flights are the one bright spot right now, I have tickets that can be refunded as credit, and have two years to use them.  So I won't be out that expense at least.  And if I get the excurions and other purchases back, that's something to.  Still several thousand out but not as bad as it could be.

 

Have you looked into expedited?  Small price to pay if you're going to lose all your cruise fare...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, OttawaJohn said:

Well there is a story in the paper where a woman flew from Vancouver to Edmonton to get it done as it was faster lol 

 

Just hope I'm not in that situation!

 

Not the same thing but here in the US the global entry requires an interview and the closest one is 3 hrs away and is booked for months.  I was able to schedule an appointment the day before boarding a cruise in San Juan with no wait at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So sorry for your problems, OttawaJohn.  You'd think Ottawa would be a step ahead of the rest of us.  They had to get the police here because of trouble in the line ups where some people were waiting 3 days.

I hope you get your passport and please do let us know so we can cheer for you.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, WorkerBee74 said:

 

Canadians need a passport to get into the US.  The cruise is secondary.

That's one of several options. The full range includes:

 

  • a valid passport
  • a Trusted Traveler Program card
  • an enhanced driver’s licence (EDL) or enhanced identification card(EIC) from a province or territory where a U.S. approved EDL/EIC program has been implemented
  • a Secure Certificate of Indian Status
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

@OttawaJohn was doing some looking for you want here's the details on the 'express' service.  

 

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/passport.html

 

Looks like if you were to go to the actual Passport Service centre in Ottawa (not a Service Canada outlet), they could turn you around within 2 business days - you obviously have proof of travel and that's what they want.  Not sure if that's feasible for you but if you're going to lose a pile of money it would be worth it!

 

They're saying 9 weeks if you applied by mail or applied at a Service Canada centre - not sure where you applied but looks like the key is that it has to be the PASSPORT Centre in Ottawa to get it urgently if required.

 

Looks like they are both in the Rideaucentre mall - but they are two different offices, Passport Centre is unit 115 and Service Canada is unit 105...


Good luck - hope you can work something out in time!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by WorkerBee74
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, WorkerBee74 said:

@OttawaJohn was doing some looking for you want here's the details on the 'express' service.  

 

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/passport.html

 

Looks like if you were to go to the actual Passport Service centre in Ottawa (not a Service Canada outlet), they could turn you around within 2 business days - you obviously have proof of travel and that's what they want.  Not sure if that's feasible for you but if you're going to lose a pile of money it would be worth it!

 

They're saying 9 weeks if you applied by mail or applied at a Service Canada centre - not sure where you applied but looks like the key is that it has to be the PASSPORT Centre in Ottawa to get it urgently if required.

 

Looks like they are both in the Rideaucentre mall - but they are two different offices, Passport Centre is unit 115 and Service Canada is unit 105...


Good luck - hope you can work something out in time!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Thanks!  Yes, that is my plan at this stage.  I'm hopeful it will come before but if it gets to the wire, I'll do the expedited service.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@OttawaJohn So, did you answer the question of when you booked (because if before April you should be covered as people haave said) ? Also, when did you apply for pp renewal? 

 

I think in the electronic era the Final Payment date is way too early, so you have my sympathy as to their policy. Expecting an exception if you booked in the FP period without a realistic expectation of getting a timely pp may, however, not be so reasonable.... 🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, OttawaJohn said:

 

Thanks!  Yes, that is my plan at this stage.  I'm hopeful it will come before but if it gets to the wire, I'll do the expedited service.

@OttawaJohn - wishing you success.  

 

When you submitted your renewal application a few months ago, didn't you have to also include your original passport at that time?

 

If so, how would you even have the option of doing the expedited service now, since your passport isn't in your possession?  

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, OttawaJohn said:

 

Thanks!  Yes, that is my plan at this stage.  I'm hopeful it will come before but if it gets to the wire, I'll do the expedited service.

John, I do feel sorry for you.  It was clear that you were not actually blaming Celebrity for your passport problems.  Passport renewals are working very effectively in the US right now.  I received mine in about 5 weeks. Of course, this does not help you. 
 

Since you are risking a paid cruise, why are you waiting to us an expedited service?  I assume you are just trying to save the extra fee?  (In case your new passport arrives in time).  If it was me I would not take the risk.  Better to just pay an extra fee.

Doesn’t seem fair to expect (and criticize Celebrity) for not allowing you to push out this cruise at this late date, when you are not even willing to pay an expedited fee to your government.

 

Best of luck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Many won’t like that I post this, email the CEO, someone from their exec team will contact you.  If anything can make exceptions they can.  This is how they seem to like to operate, phone reps say “no” exec team may say “yes”.

 

Furthermore, if you already haven’t done this look into any expedited services Canada may offer.  For example, in the US, there is an expensive option in Miami to get a passport renewed the same day.

I would be furious if an exception was made. Passports exist for a reason. There should never be an exception. Nor should Celebrity even respond to any such request...ever. Nor should you be given FCC or any other accommodation.  Otherwise, anyone could claim such a loss if for any reason they were unable to travel at the last minute. I'm sorry you were not responsible enough to safeguard your passport and I do hope it is resolved.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There seem to be problems everywhere obtaining a new passport, in UK it is reported to take 10/12 weeks. We submitted our request on May 6th and both received by 21st May, so it seems to be luck of the draw. Admittedly we are not travelling till October 1st but we now have our passports.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, emmas gran said:

There seem to be problems everywhere obtaining a new passport, in UK it is reported to take 10/12 weeks. We submitted our request on May 6th and both received by 21st May, so it seems to be luck of the draw. Admittedly we are not travelling till October 1st but we now have our passports.

My wife's took a little over 3 weeks last month.

 

Applied online then mailed the old passport in.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

My wife's took a little over 3 weeks last month.

 

Applied online then mailed the old passport in.

We thought they had forgotten to return old ones but they took a further 2 weeks  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, emmas gran said:

There seem to be problems everywhere obtaining a new passport, in UK it is reported to take 10/12 weeks. We submitted our request on May 6th and both received by 21st May, so it seems to be luck of the draw. Admittedly we are not travelling till October 1st but we now have our passports.

I'd also read about the standard service potentially taking a long time, so I paid for the expedited service and had mine back in 3 days. Didn't want to risk it. 

 

I think the moral of the story is if you know you need a new passport before you travel next, if its within a few months just pony up the extra money (in our case in the UK, an extra £70) and pay for expedited service. £70 was worth not having to worry for weeks on end and potentially lose thousands on a trip I couldn't take.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To answer a few questions asked.

 

I applied in early April by mail.

 

Yes, you have to submit your old passport when you apply, so I don't have it now.

 

Expedited is a weird beast.  When you get to 10 days or under before your travel date, you can pay an extra fee to have your application transferred to your local office from what I was told.  So at that point, you can then queue up with everyone else to try and get it.  Which seems to defeat the reason I mailed it 🙂

 

I did not want to have to submit before the cruise, planned to do so afterwards.  It doesn't actually expire till next year.  However, I had a reason that I won't get into that caused me to have to do so now.

 

Still optimistic and looking into options if it comes to pass.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...