May not be able to cruise after all, and Celebrity isn't interested in helping :(

OttawaJohn

2 hours ago, cruiser52forever said:

Wow, there are a lot of mean people on the board.  Makes me wonder about the type of people that cruise Celebrity.  You are giving Celebrity cruises a bad name and do not seem like people to cruise with.  I truly want to try Celebrity soon, but after reading the responses to this situation,  I'd rather not be around your type.  I get enough of that crap in real life. 

I sincerely doubt that many of the "mean people" on this board are like that in real life. The anonymity of the internet especially when you can hide behind a screen name just causes people to turn off their filter.

I have empathy for the OP and truly hope they get their passport situation straightened out soon. But for the life of me, and maybe they just aren't articulating it well but why wait for certain dates before escalating it with the Passport Office? Personally, if it was me I'd have been on the phone first thing in the morning everyday starting on Day 31 until it was resolved. Maybe they have been and they haven't told us.

23 minutes ago, cruiser52forever said:

I didn't say I agreed or disagreed with anyone.  My response was about people's attitudes and the responses that were quite unkind. 

People say things on a message board they would never say in person..we all know that..

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sydbarrett said:

We are in the exact same situation as  you. I applied March 14 due to water damage when I was booking my trip, got my passport mid May. My travel partner applied for a renewal Apr 13 as her passport expires 5 months after the trip. She just called today (took about 150 dials and on hold for an hour) and they havent even TOUCHED her application yet. We are supposed to leave in less than 2 weeks. They said it is not likely she will have it in time but she can line up at 4am on the day we travel to try and get an emergency passport. She may not even get through the doors though.

Yeah, it's an issue, wait times are so bad, by the time the office opens, there are too many to see before it closes and people are turned away.  I understand they are going to be expanding the hours of operation which could help.

As for the calls, I did 342 before I got through.  Thank God I used an auto-dialer app 🙂  Similar wait time once I was through.  The person I spoke to was very helpful but limited in what he can do.  Sadly the front line staff are the ones absorbing all the abuse and vitriol, even though they have no power to change anything 😞

• Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 10:20 AM, OttawaJohn said:

Like far too many, my passport is lost in limbo here in Canada.  Three months after submitting it for renewal and no idea if/when I'll get it.  I am hopeful it'll be returned before our cruise at end of July but losing faith 😞

I reached out to Celebrity to see if anything could be done and they quickly said no.  Bit sad and surprised honestly.  Our first cruise with them, was really looking forward to it.  The main thing we hear from those who sailed with them is the great service. 

We asked if we could get a FCC, or even just push it to the next sailing, and we'd pay any difference in price.  Anything.  Nope.  Not even sure we'll get back shore excursions or the pre-paid specialty dining reservation.

I get it, we're within the final payment window, but just disappointed.  For all the claims of superior service with Celebrity, they don't seem to care about helping with this in any way.

I never book travel without checking my passport first. Renew and then book. Sorry, but always renew your passport first. 

On 6/22/2022 at 2:27 PM, OttawaJohn said:

And in general, thanks to all for the well wishes.  As someone said, it's still a month out, so 🤞

wishing you good luck.

And I think that having issues with Celebrity is all about you having issues with passport and YOU asking Celebrity if YOU can have your cruise moved to another.  I think this is a reasonable request to ask Celebrity.  If you are not asking for money back, then they should accommodate you.

I would get in touch with the passport office and make an appointment.

And for all others, when your passport is 9 months from expiring, immediately apply (unless you have a trip during that time so you need to watch your timing)

10 minutes ago, Sabbycat said:

I never book travel without checking my passport first. Renew and then book. Sorry, but always renew your passport first. 

Many of us have had these trips rolling over multiple times since 2020. In my case, my passport had 3 years left on it and I (and by I, I mean the cat) spilled water on it and had to get a new one. In the case of my travel partner, my life circumstances changed greatly and I had one day to switch FCCs to another traveller or they would be lost. She had a valid passport but it expired 5 months after the trip. She had 3 months to get the renewal done, went in right away and was stamped and approved and told by the passport office she would have it on a specific date, 1.5 months before the trip. All of this is to say, everyone has their reasons, these are unusual circumstances, and I think we all know we need to make sure we have a valid passport before booking travel.

5 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

The OP is somewhat upset X won't move them to another sailing because of passport issues.  As I stated, if the OP is okay with asking the CEO for an exception (many have success) they may help.  Not everyone is okay with that including @Guppy99; YOLO.

The point is that this should never be an exception. Ever. To suggest the poster even try is ridiculous.  Either is opens the door, via precedence, to allowing everyone to rethink  cruise and get FCC or worse, let's him sail in violation of international law. Has absolutely nothing to do with me.  The Op is upset because he was careless with his passport and didn't even bother looking for it until just before sailing. That's on him....totally. Celebrity has no resp[onsibility here in any way.

1 minute ago, Guppy99 said:

The point is that this should never be an exception. Ever. To suggest the poster even try is ridiculous.  Either is opens the door, via precedence, to allowing everyone to rethink  cruise and get FCC or worse, let's him sail in violation of international law. Has absolutely nothing to do with me.  The Op is upset because he was careless with his passport and didn't even bother looking for it until just before sailing. That's on him....totally. Celebrity has no resp[onsibility here in any way.

They say never say never.  You're on team don't ask for an exception, I'm on team ask for an exception, this isn't the first time we've been on opposing teams nor will it be the last time.

18 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

The Op is upset because he was careless with his passport and didn't even bother looking for it until just before sailing. That's on him....totally. Celebrity has no resp[onsibility here in any way.

WHAT?  Seriously, where the Hell do people pull this stuff from? 

Were did I say I lost or was careless with my passport or didn't look for it until just before sailing?  

I said clearly I had to submit it for renewal earlier then planned due to another reason, and it was submitted the first week of April for a cruise leaving July 30th.  4 full months, to me, doesn't seem like 'just before sailing'. 

Seriously, it's comments like this that is the reason discourse on the internet is so challenging.

I think I need to either stop checking this thread or delete it.  It's just so far off from reality anymore.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

How many times are you going to regurgitate this narrative!?!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OttawaJohn said:

And yes, as it's departing Canada to Alaska, a passport is required, enhanced DL's are not accepted. 

Rather a moot point in your case, as Ontario no longer issues them, but EDL's are accepted by both countries for entry by land or sea. The only issue from a Canadian perspective is that few provinces and territories issue EDL's currently, just as only a limited number of states issue them in the US.

On a positive note, as seen here in this thread, the OP made the day for that wretched cohort of Cruise Critic members who live for the opportunity to bash anyone who offers even a whiff of criticism directed at a favorite cruise line (this is not Celebrity specific by any means). A chance to scold? A chance to bash? Well, sure, that's fine. But an opening to deliver either a you-got-exactly-what-you-deserved reply or a I-personally-would-never-do-something-as-stupid-as-you-did reply? That's nirvana in their world.

• Like 8

30 minutes ago, OttawaJohn said:

WHAT?  Seriously, where the Hell do people pull this stuff from? 

Were did I say I lost or was careless with my passport or didn't look for it until just before sailing?  

I said clearly I had to submit it for renewal earlier then planned due to another reason, and it was submitted the first week of April for a cruise leaving July 30th.  4 full months, to me, doesn't seem like 'just before sailing'. 

Seriously, it's comments like this that is the reason discourse on the internet is so challenging.

I think I need to either stop checking this thread or delete it.  It's just so far off from reality anymore.

No need to get upset, if someone bothers you, block them.  Anyone is welcome to block me, just know I have yet to block anyone; Guppy and I often have the exact opposite viewpoints.  That's why I always start with "some may not like this"...

3 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

No need to get upset, if someone bothers you, block them.  Anyone is welcome to block me, just know I have yet to block anyone; Guppy and I often have the exact opposite viewpoints.  That's why I always start with "some may not like this"...

More amused then upset.  This is why I don't do Twitter or most other forms of social media.  I just don't understand the logic of most users.  If someone in person said "hey, I may not be able to cruise due to x" I doubt anyone would respond "Well it's your fault you stupid head."  Offer sympathy, maybe some suggestions on options (which many have done, thanks to those) but not berate the person.  Online, totally different social norms it seems.

I just don't get it.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, OttawaJohn said:

Online, totally different social norms it seems.

I just don't get it.

It's that anonymity.  Anyone can be as obnoxious and sanctimonious as they want when their identity is behind a fantasy user name. As evidenced on every forum.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

HARSH!

Exceptions are made all the time for human errors..we are all fallible.  I see.no harm allowing an extended cruise date..esp if price is adjusted  at going rates.  I do not think anyone suggested breaking any laws..just setting a new  cruise date.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mom says said:

It's that anonymity.  Anyone can be as obnoxious and sanctimonious as they want when their identity is behind a fantasy user name. As evidenced on every forum.

Wait a moment. The Op didn't say "hey I may not be able to take my cruise because...". I would be all sympathy. However, then he went on to say that Celebrity isn't interested in helping him and complaining that he had heard how good their service was and now they aren't helping. That also is very symptomatic of "today" where so many people don't take responsibility for themselves and expect someone else to sacrifice and help them. That is self-entitlement. I don't have patience with that (nor should anyone imo0, and anonymous forum or not I would say the exact same thing.

• Like 3

Just watched news story about all the people camped out looking for last minute passports, and of course, booked thier travel before making sure passport was in hand.

and blaming the gov, blaming the PM.

we had 2 years of most people not travelling, and now come winter/early spring half of Canada wanted to renew thier passports all at the same time for summer travel. Go figure there’s delays.  No one wants to mask, and employees are out sick everywhere, and half the country is in line ups for emergency renewal.  

sounds like poor planning. While I agree it might be to Celebrities benefit to offer FCC for people who have to cancel (because people will blame them and trash them for not), people should have been better prepared for summer travel.

I checked my passport to make sure it was good for this year before I decided to book out of country trip.  If I had had to renew, I would have planned in country this summer and sent it for renewal as soon as it was a available.  

but personal responsibility isn’t a thing anymore. It’s always someone else’s fault. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

Wait a moment. The Op didn't say "hey I may not be able to take my cruise because..."

No he didn't, but this is completely fabricated...

4 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

The Op is upset because he was careless with his passport and didn't even bother looking for it until just before sailing. 

Your point, IMO harsh but fair, would be better received if you didn't make stuff up.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

They say never say never.  You're on team don't ask for an exception, I'm on team ask for an exception, this isn't the first time we've been on opposing teams nor will it be the last time.

quite true....but I do enjoy reading opposing points of view as it does give me pause for thought. Sometimes I change my views..not often, but sometimes. LOL and actually I'm a real marshmallow.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 1:05 PM, gold1953 said:

As for NEXUS renewal... well mine expired in 2021 and I applied for renewal months before the date. Still don't have it. This renewal requires and interview and that process has been shut down. Just opening a couple of centers and there are countless people waiting!.. so I am pending and they have extended the expiry date

We renewed Nexus in 2021 and did not need interviews.  My husbands was even expired.  Maybe because we are in the states?  I believe it only took a few weeks.

Nowadays you need to do everything way in advance.  My passport did not expire until 3/23.  I have a cruise in October that would put me shy of the 6 months needed on it.  I renewed in May, paid the extra $60 for expediting as I need not to be stressed and had it back in 2 weeks.  

33 minutes ago, bjahil47 said:

We renewed Nexus in 2021 and did not need interviews.  My husbands was even expired.  Maybe because we are in the states?  I believe it only took a few weeks.

I had the same experience. Applied for my renewal in late 2021 and had my new card a few weeks later. I was surprised that there was no interview required. DW's application got processed just as fast but has to go for an interview as it's her first time. No Canadian interview centers open yet. Will see if we can get her interview done in FLL when we're there in Nov.

17 hours ago, Sabbycat said:

Agreed.  As I said though, after booking, something came up which required me to renew before I planned.  And as the government was saying at the time that 30 days turn around was expected, I don't think I was out of line expecting a return in less then 4 months.

• Like 3