May not be able to cruise after all, and Celebrity isn't interested in helping :(

OttawaJohn

13 hours ago, Fouremco said:

In case you missed it:

Yeah, I actually did a similar thing to get my Covid shot, I went to  Pembrooke for it, was Ottawa had weeks waiting times and I could just walk in there.  The problem is, now that it's been mailed to the main office, local offices are more limited in what they can do, unless it gets to zero hour 😞

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

Wait a moment. The Op didn't say "hey I may not be able to take my cruise because...". I would be all sympathy. However, then he went on to say that Celebrity isn't interested in helping him and complaining that he had heard how good their service was and now they aren't helping. That also is very symptomatic of "today" where so many people don't take responsibility for themselves and expect someone else to sacrifice and help them. That is self-entitlement. I don't have patience with that (nor should anyone imo0, and anonymous forum or not I would say the exact same thing.

Service - the act of doing something for another.

That's kinda the definition.  Clearly we'll agree to disagree, but really unclear how I'm 'not taking responsibility'.  I followed the rules, expected the timeline to be honored and now it won't be most likely and I'm out thousands of dollars.  Asking for some possible consideration and being frustrated that they won't entertain anything at all, from a FCC to a reschedule to even a 50 dollar towards a future purchase, I don't think is whining so much as being surprised.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bjahil47 said:

Nowadays you need to do everything way in advance.  My passport did not expire until 3/23.  I have a cruise in October that would put me shy of the 6 months needed on it.  I renewed in May, paid the extra $60 for expediting as I need not to be stressed and had it back in 2 weeks.  

Agreed, and if I hadn't had to renew earlier then planned, I wouldn't have.  Just bad timing.  I booked the cruise, passport was fine but then something came up and I had to renew early as a result.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, OttawaJohn said:

Service - the act of doing something for another.

That's kinda the definition.  Clearly we'll agree to disagree, but really unclear how I'm 'not taking responsibility'.  I followed the rules, expected the timeline to be honored and now it won't be most likely and I'm out thousands of dollars.  Asking for some possible consideration and being frustrated that they won't entertain anything at all, from a FCC to a reschedule to even a 50 dollar towards a future purchase, I don't think is whining so much as being surprised.

I just don't understand why you would expect anything at all. From the moment you book a cruise you enter into a contract,. The contract clearly stats what your responsibilities are. You must have a valid passport that extends 6 months beyond the sail date. You didn't keep up your end of the contract. You default, but you still expect some sort of accommodation?  Now it's after full payment. Just what are they supposed to do? Take the loss by allowing you to transfer to a later cruise? Give you money/credit to say "sorry you didn't keep up your end, but let us give you money?"  That's not only whining, it's a totally selfish point of view.  I'm sorry if your passport doesn't come in time. You will have learned a very expensive lesson.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bjahil47 said:

We renewed Nexus in 2021 and did not need interviews.  My husbands was even expired.  Maybe because we are in the states?  I believe it only took a few weeks.

My husband and I both applied for Nexus renewal in mid-October 2021.  My new card came within about 2 weeks, no interview.  His is still pending, 8 months later. Neither of them was expired at the time we applied.

If nothing else, you motivated me to check our passport expiration dates. I renewed mine recently (USA) and it took far longer than i expected. Wife has 21 months on hers. These are difficult times for many things, I don’t have an opinion on what celebrity should or should not do, both follow the rules, or  make an exception for you have good arguments.

This is an excellent advertisement for trip insurance though!

Best wishes and good luck going forward.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, justcrusn said:

If nothing else, you motivated me to check our passport expiration dates. I renewed mine recently (USA) and it took far longer than i expected. Wife has 21 months on hers. These are difficult times for many things, I don’t have an opinion on what celebrity should or should not do, both follow the rules, or  make an exception for you have good arguments.

This is an excellent advertisement for trip insurance though!

Best wishes and good luck going forward.

A good idea lol

I have a few friends who I've suggested check as well.  The last two plus years of limbo made everyone complacent.  Though the fact you can't apply too far in advance can be a problem to. 

I do have trip insurance but when I contacted them about this, they were very wish washy, saying that the passport problems were 'A foreseeable issue' and so may not be covered.

35 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

I just don't understand why you would expect anything at all. From the moment you book a cruise you enter into a contract,. The contract clearly stats what your responsibilities are. You must have a valid passport that extends 6 months beyond the sail date. You didn't keep up your end of the contract. You default, but you still expect some sort of accommodation?  Now it's after full payment. Just what are they supposed to do? Take the loss by allowing you to transfer to a later cruise? Give you money/credit to say "sorry you didn't keep up your end, but let us give you money?"  That's not only whining, it's a totally selfish point of view.  I'm sorry if your passport doesn't come in time. You will have learned a very expensive lesson.

Loss to Celebrity, if any, not the same as a cruiser's payment.

Hoping things work out for OP...

True story.  Good friends had a trip booked and paid for to a all inclusive resort.

Friday evening they are packing for their Saturday morning flight, everything laid out and ready.  Got up Saturday morning to find out the new dog  had got his passport which was stacked with other items on the guest room bed.  The little guy had chewed through the passport  it making it unusable

Airline wouldn’t let him board, resort would not refund or reschedule. 

Im sure there are a lot of true “ I lost my homework” stories not sure it is realistic to expect the travel providers to make policy exceptions unless it is a extreme situation ( hospitalized, death in family) and then travel insurance would kick it 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, jelayne said:

True story.  Good friends had a trip booked and paid for to a all inclusive resort.

Friday evening they are packing for their Saturday morning flight, everything laid out and ready.  Got up Saturday morning to find out the new dog  had got his passport which was stacked with other items on the guest room bed.  The little guy had chewed through the passport  it making it unusable

Airline wouldn’t let him board, resort would not refund or reschedule. 

Im sure there are a lot of true “ I lost my homework” stories not sure it is realistic to expect the travel providers to make policy exceptions unless it is a extreme situation ( hospitalized, death in family) and then travel insurance would kick it 

Well clearly, this was your friends fault.  The doggie just didn't want to be left alone so sabotaged the trip 🙂

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, OttawaJohn said:

Well clearly, this was your friends fault.  The doggie just didn't want to be left alone so sabotaged the trip 🙂

I won’t post what our cat did in our open suitcase when we were packing…….but had to wash everything! 

Now we pack in back room with doors closed and I give that cat the Cold Stare….thats soooo affective. 

Den

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Denny01 said:

I won’t post what our cat did in our open suitcase when we were packing…….but had to wash everything! 

Now we pack in back room with doors closed and I give that cat the Cold Stare….thats soooo affective. 

Den

Typical cat.

Typical cat owner.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Denny01 said:

Den

That's too funny.  Cats are amazing, they either don't care if you live or die, or they want to be the center of attention at all times.  Rarely anything in between.  My sister-in-laws cat will have an attitude and ignore them for a full week whenever they return from a trip.

2 hours ago, OttawaJohn said:

A good idea lol

I have a few friends who I've suggested check as well.  The last two plus years of limbo made everyone complacent.  Though the fact you can't apply too far in advance can be a problem to. 

I do have trip insurance but when I contacted them about this, they were very wish washy, saying that the passport problems were 'A foreseeable issue' and so may not be covered.

I would argue the 'foreseeable issue'    Who would imagine that this passport issue could happen??!!. 

19 hours ago, mom says said:

It's that anonymity.  Anyone can be as obnoxious and sanctimonious as they want when their identity is behind a fantasy user name. As evidenced on every forum.

Unfortunately some are more obnoxious than others. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, mom says said:

It's that anonymity.  Anyone can be as obnoxious and sanctimonious as they want when their identity is behind a fantasy user name. As evidenced on every forum.

You would know…

3 hours ago, gold1953 said:

I would argue the 'foreseeable issue'    Who would imagine that this passport issue could happen??!!. 

Well, if you believe half the responses to this thread, everyone should have 🙂

If it comes that, I do intend to try and challenge it.  OR get Covid, since I know that's covered!

On 6/23/2022 at 5:07 PM, cruiser52forever said:

Wow, there are a lot of mean people on the board.  Makes me wonder about the type of people that cruise Celebrity.  You are giving Celebrity cruises a bad name and do not seem like people to cruise with.  I truly want to try Celebrity soon, but after reading the responses to this situation,  I'd rather not be around your type.  I get enough of that crap in real life. 

That made me laugh. Whatever you do, don’t take this board or the posters too seriously.  Some people on here come across as lovely and some not, in real life they may be the opposite, who knows or cares. 

34 minutes ago, OttawaJohn said:

Well, if you believe half the responses to this thread, everyone should have 🙂

If it comes that, I do intend to try and challenge it.  OR get Covid, since I know that's covered!

Getting covid crossed my mind!   You can draw straws to see which of you will do the deed.

We are not booked until Oct and insurance for cancellations means as you said only things that were not predicted. Looking for cancel for any reason policies at the moment. Hard to find. I hope this all works out for you!

6 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

Getting covid crossed my mind!   You can draw straws to see which of you will do the deed.

We are not booked until Oct and insurance for cancellations means as you said only things that were not predicted. Looking for cancel for any reason policies at the moment. Hard to find. I hope this all works out for you!

Yeah, cancel for any reason is very hard to find for an affordable rate from my searching.

I did find some that cover if your 'travel visa is not ready through no fault of your own.'  However, contract law 101 give that a lot of wiggle room.  A visa is not a passport.  Same theory in most regards but they could argue it says visa, not passport, so no dice.

Unless this is a last minute booking you should be eligible for Cruise With Confidence.

Otherwise... just "get Covid" and try to regulate this issue that way.

A cruise line is obviously not liable for travel documents of the passengers. I mean, where would that end? Lost Passport, Expired Passport, Wrong Name?

19 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

Unless this is a last minute booking you should be eligible for Cruise With Confidence.

The OP, I believe, has not posted when they booked despite being asked at least 3 times. Might be another secret!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

The OP, I believe, has not posted when they booked despite being asked at least 3 times. Might be another secret!

Not really keeping secrets, unless you count why I had to apply early, which doesn't seem like anyone else's business.  If you all are insistent, let me know how it's relevant and I'll consider it.  But unclear why it matters.

Just missed the question, lots of posts 🙂

I purchased after the cut, though just, on April 2nd.  

1 hour ago, OttawaJohn said:

Not really keeping secrets, unless you count why I had to apply early, which doesn't seem like anyone else's business.  If you all are insistent, let me know how it's relevant and I'll consider it.  But unclear why it matters.

Just missed the question, lots of posts 🙂

I purchased after the cut, though just, on April 2nd.  

No interest here, puzzles with missing pieces bore me.