What if flight is delayed?

nhow

We are booked on the Jan 6 Nautica cruise departing from Cape Town.  If our BA flight from London is delayed what are our options?   The flight is due in at 8am but not sure how late we can board or if it is possible to join the cruise at the next port.

3 minutes ago, nhow said:

We are booked on the Jan 6 Nautica cruise departing from Cape Town.  If our BA flight from London is delayed what are our options?   The flight is due in at 8am but not sure how late we can board or if it is possible to join the cruise at the next port.

If O arranged you flight I think they will wait... seen it in Tahiti.    However, it is on you  if you did the flight independent.     Many times the port schedule requires the ship sail to vacate a berth. They can not  just say  " we are sticking around chum".     You can board as late as 6pm in such a case it thats their sailing time ...   I would make a plan B    get a phone # to contact O and relay your delays if any.   Second I would check on how to get to the next port.   Third, I would take out insurance for missed cruise protection  ( I know you brits are keen on insurance for everything)    Finally.... think positive you have 10 hours to get to the ship even if it starts boarding at 1300. !!!

46 minutes ago, nhow said:

What time does the ship sail?

You probably have until 1-2 hrs prior to sailing to  board the ship

If your flight is delayed get to the nearest  desk for BA & see if they can get you on the next flight

Call O  at the emergency  number provided in your documents

Fly in a day or more early

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

If O arranged you flight I think they will wait... seen it in Tahiti.    However, it is on you  if you did the flight independent.     Many times the port schedule requires the ship sail to vacate a berth. They can not  just say  " we are sticking around chum".     You can board as late as 6pm in such a case it thats their sailing time ...   I would make a plan B    get a phone # to contact O and relay your delays if any.   Second I would check on how to get to the next port.   Third, I would take out insurance for missed cruise protection  ( I know you brits are keen on insurance for everything)    Finally.... think positive you have 10 hours to get to the ship even if it starts boarding at 1300. !!!

If it’s an O charter, that’s one thing. If it’s a scheduled commercial flight, check the O ticket contract which can’t state any more clearly that O zero responsibility for air carrier issues regardless of O booking or DIY.

Of course, if you used O air, they will assist in reticketing but it may mean you’re paying the fare differential and, still, the ship “waiting” is not “guaranteed” nor likely if the delay is significant and/or only affects you.

Picking up a ship at the next port used to be possible with O permission pre-Covid. Not that easy now. In addition to the Ticket Contract and T&Cs the O Sail Safe FAQs address this issue (and more).

As any savvy intercontinental air traveler will tell you: arrive two nights prior to embarkation if you have a connection and always make that connect at least 2-3 hrs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

If it’s an O charter, that’s one thing. If it’s a scheduled commercial flight, check the O ticket contract which can’t state any more clearly that O zero responsibility for air carrier issues regardless of O booking or DIY.

Of course, if you used O air, they will assist in reticketing but it may mean you’re paying the fare differential and, still, the ship “waiting” is not “guaranteed” nor likely if the delay is significant and/or only affects you.

Picking up a ship at the next port used to be possible with O permission pre-Covid. Not that easy now. In addition to the Ticket Contract and T&Cs the O Sail Safe FAQs address this issue (and more).

As any savvy intercontinental air traveler will tell you: arrive two nights prior to embarkation if you have a connection and always make that connect at least 2-3 hrs.

You echo my advice.     in recent past with health restrictions and testing BS  I allow for 72 hours arrival.   Africa being Africa , both politically and Healthwise ,  Id  try to arrive 3 days prior....

• Like 1

Wow, thank you so very much for the excellent advice.  We were thinking it would be a good idea to change to a flight a day or two earlier but are choking on the additional costs... flight change fee, difference in price of flights and hotel cost.  I tried to get help through Expedia but they are not customer friendly to put it mildly.  Sadly we were not able to book flights through O because they do not handle any from the UK. 

I guess we will have to change flight dates and bite the bullet cost wise.  The cruise is to celebrate a big birthday for both of us so don't want to risk missing it. 😎 to be continued... 

57 minutes ago, nhow said:

Wow, thank you so very much for the excellent advice.  We were thinking it would be a good idea to change to a flight a day or two earlier but are choking on the additional costs... flight change fee, difference in price of flights and hotel cost.  I tried to get help through Expedia but they are not customer friendly to put it mildly.  Sadly we were not able to book flights through O because they do not handle any from the UK. 

I guess we will have to change flight dates and bite the bullet cost wise.  The cruise is to celebrate a big birthday for both of us so don't want to risk missing it. 😎 to be continued... 

Maybe call the airline directly

I am surprised  O does not book air for UK PAX

• Like 1

They booked for me. I`m in U.K.

I received confirmation of my 2023 flight yesterday

1 hour ago, nhow said:

1 hour ago, nhow said:

Most hotel chains, including the better ones like Intercontinental, will match any price you find on Expedia or other third party vendors. My advice: Always book direct with hotels - especially if you want geezer prices.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nhow said:

Next time use United (even if your connections are other Star Alliance partners). You can most often change flights without fees and/or get a time limited FFC to use later.

10 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Next time use United (even if your connections are other Star Alliance partners). You can most often change flights without fees and/or get a time limited FFC to use later.

Does United fly out  of the UK to Cape Town ?🙄

34 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Does United fly out  of the UK to Cape Town ?🙄

It would probably be a code share on a partner carrier(s). But, it could still be booked as a UA flight itinerary. I’d check on the web with ITA Matrix to see what combos are available. The beauty of United Is their customer service. They actually answer the phone!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, nhow said:

.....I guess we will have to change flight dates and bite the bullet cost wise.  The cruise is to celebrate a big birthday for both of us so don't want to risk missing it. 😎 to be continued... 

About a decade ago we had a very close call for a Barcelona departure. Our mid morning flight on sailing day was ultimately delayed by 6 hours. The saving grace was that our ship departure was 8pm. We called ahead when boarding the plane to advise the cruiseline, who assured us they would wait for us all being well flightwise etc. Fortunately we landed about 7pm, luggage was swift and we managed to talk our way to the front of taxi queue. We boarded just after 8pm, and immediately the gangway was raised.

Since then we mitigate risk, for short haul we fly previous day no later than early afternoon. For long haul we go at least two days prior. For Cape Town, with limited alternative options we'd probably go three days prior.

Edited by hamrag
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

It would probably be a code share on a partner carrier(s). But, it could still be booked as a UA flight itinerary. I’d check on the web with ITA Matrix to see what combos are available. The beauty of United Is their customer service. They actually answer the phone!

Thats been my experience.... hold time less than 5 min at most...   Also as many know, the fares on the web site,  are many times higher than what you can get by calling and  paying a $25 fee !!    like hundreds less.   The sheer size of the star alliance you have access to  UA-Tap, Air Can-,Luft, Turkey,-Austrian, LOT- ANA- SAS, + those airlines  feeder regionals......  can get you pretty much anywhere but antarctica !!!

Second, never ever buy air  from a 3 rd party    or a hotel either.    You will not save and be exposed to all sorts of problems if your flight is changed or cancelled.     You have no idea of the problems that  you can have with a 3 rd party

GO DIRECT  I have learned after 50 years of flying evev working  for United and at one time Expedia too. ( never could hold a job)  nothing beats DIRECT overall.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Thats been my experience.... hold time less than 5 min at most...   Also as many know, the fares on the web site,  are many times higher than what you can get by calling and  paying a $25 fee !!    like hundreds less.   The sheer size of the star alliance you have access to  UA-Tap, Air Can-,Luft, Turkey,-Austrian, LOT- ANA- SAS, + those airlines  feeder regionals......  can get you pretty much anywhere but antarctica !!!

Second, never ever buy air  from a 3 rd party    or a hotel either.    You will not save and be exposed to all sorts of problems if your flight is changed or cancelled.     You have no idea of the problems that  you can have with a 3 rd party

GO DIRECT  I have learned after 50 years of flying evev working  for United and at one time Expedia too. ( never could hold a job)  nothing beats DIRECT overall.

Ask nicely and UA will not charge the $25. Particularly true if you ask phone rep for cheaper alternatives to what you found online.

Also: in UA online search, dues several searches with time limits instead of one for the whole day. Those broad based single searches never show all the flights!!!

• Thanks 2

We changed the flight to the day before and booked a night at the Radisson Blu which is near the cruise terminal. Cost much but better than the agita.  I tried to get a flight with O but our travel agent couldn't do it from the UK. Thanks again to everyone for the most helpful suggestions and info.

• Like 4

On 6/23/2022 at 2:36 PM, LHT28 said:

Maybe call the airline directly

I am surprised  O does not book air for UK PAX

Indeed!  We are flying from UK for our next cruise (O air) If you don't take O air you get a smail reduction in cost for the "air waiver".

I would never fly on sailing day, particually at the moment when there's complete chaos at many airports.

best

Josie x

2 hours ago, nhow said:

We changed the flight to the day before and booked a night at the Radisson Blu which is near the cruise terminal. Cost much but better than the agita.  I tried to get a flight with O but our travel agent couldn't do it from the UK. Thanks again to everyone for the most helpful suggestions and info.

Interesting

Maybe you need a new TA

1 hour ago, BenMurphy said:

Indeed!  We are flying from UK for our next cruise (O air) If you don't take O air you get a smail reduction in cost for the "air waiver".

I would never fly on sailing day, particually at the moment when there's complete chaos at many airports.

best

Josie x

The air credit can be sizable depending on several factors, the biggest one IMO being the cash you save that can be applied to DIY bizclass (we’ve already established that the cost of O bizclass is not the bargain it appears to be (once you realize that you’re also paying for the original coach fare as well).

• Like 1

Until you have done 10 cruises with O, there is a  hefty deviation cost if you fly in the day before. Hotel cost is understandable. 

With the chaos that is happening in most airports, I cant see anyone getting anywhere on time. O should recommend coming in the day before, but if they recommend it, shouldnt they wave the deviation fee?

I have several acquaintances who have cancelled their cruises because of what is going on at  the airports. They feel this will not be cleared up by the fall. Due to the stress of it all, easier to just cancel before FP. 

34 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

Until you have done 10 cruises with O, there is a  hefty deviation cost if you fly in the day before. Hotel cost is understandable. 

With the chaos that is happening in most airports, I cant see anyone getting anywhere on time. O should recommend coming in the day before, but if they recommend it, shouldnt they wave the deviation fee?

I have several acquaintances who have cancelled their cruises because of what is going on at  the airports. They feel this will not be cleared up by the fall. Due to the stress of it all, easier to just cancel before FP. 

We planned a 4 hour layover window recently at FRA on the way from SFO to ARN. The line for immigration at FRA was so long that they kept folks waiting in a separate hall while the immigration line slowly moved through the checkpoint. Just to move slightly forward within that hall took almost an hour before I decided to chat with a police officer stationed there and ended up with his partner getting us to the final queue via a staff elevator. Even then, by the time we got to the Lufthansa bizclass lounge, it was only enough to grab a drink and snacks before we had to board the plane to Stockholm.

Sorry folks but, anyone who flies same day with a connection to the embarkation city and chooses cheap priced or quick connect over long layover and leisure with buffer time (and the usually higher price tag) is “pennywise and pound foolish.” 

• Like 1

On 6/23/2022 at 7:02 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Most hotel chains, including the better ones like Intercontinental, will match any price you find on Expedia or other third party vendors. My advice: Always book direct with hotels - especially if you want geezer prices.

if you book via a 3 ed party  like price line / expedia,  you will get NO points/miles for your stay and limited access to Upgrades as well.   

That might not mean much  but this year I have stayed at 7 hotels  already  and only had to pay for 2.  but was upgraded to a suite for the  cheap rate!  

OK.....   Miles are important to get... why throw away  benefits  you could get  for nothing !     Over time  they grow to huge sums you would never have dreamed....

What are they worth???   Well Flying to Europe in a few days, business class, for $36.00 rt... ( beats $6000.) ,just for buying gas, bacon beans, paying the phone bill etc.   later,  Taking the wife to meet a cruise in Europe,,  6 hotel nights + RT Business  air, .....  all for $72!  But parking I gotta pay and gas   getting to the airport and back. ... ( but I am working on that too !!!)....

How about  you?   

Edited by Hawaiidan

25 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

We planned a 4 hour layover window recently at FRA on the way from SFO to ARN. The line for immigration at FRA was so long that they kept folks waiting in a separate hall while the immigration line slowly moved through the checkpoint. Just to move slightly forward within that hall took almost an hour before I decided to chat with a police officer stationed there and ended up with his partner getting us to the final queue via a staff elevator. Even then, by the time we got to the Lufthansa bizclass lounge, it was only enough to grab a drink and snacks before we had to board the plane to Stockholm.

Sorry folks but, anyone who flies same day with a connection to the embarkation city and chooses cheap priced or quick connect over long layover and leisure with buffer time (and the usually higher price tag) is “pennywise and pound foolish.” 

didn't they give you fast track  as a business class pax?      Next time  try connecting via Zurich  or Munich.  

2 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

didn't they give you fast track  as a business class pax?      Next time  try connecting via Zurich  or Munich.  

No Fast Track until you actually got into the main immigration area. They were stopping folks long before then.

As for connections in Europe, my experience is that the bizclass cost of United 58 (SFO-FRA) is very hard to beats and Lufthansa connects from there are often sale priced (though you won’t see that sale price (e.g., FRA-ARN) on the United website (Gotta call UA for that sale).

18 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

No Fast Track until you actually got into the main immigration area. They were stopping folks long before then.

As for connections in Europe, my experience is that the bizclass cost of United 58 (SFO-FRA) is very hard to beats and Lufthansa connects from there are often sale priced (though you won’t see that sale price (e.g., FRA-ARN) on the United website (Gotta call UA for that sale).

I avoid FRA....  so many times they  have to bus you to a gate as a UA at  term Z.  AMS  is good too you can do a NS from frisco too   or to IAH-AMS  also good..............enjoy amigo 

• Like 1