What if flight is delayed?

nhow

Things are going to hell in a hand basket right now over here, and in the States. Min check at Amsterdam airport is now 3 hours, on weekends they are saying 5 hours. There isn’t enough labor at any stage: baggage handling, check in desks, security, pilots, flight attendants, etc. Long lines everywhere.

British Airlines is going on strike. So if you have a connecting flight with them, you may be out of luck. Plus KLM and I believe Air France has announced they are cutting about 25% of their flights, here on the Continent, due to personnel shortages . You really need to have non stop flights from the USA to your final destination! It is probably worth any premium you may have to pay.

Not all the problems are generated from this side of the pond. We’re on Day 8 of our cruise and you’d be amazed by the number of fellow cruisers that haven’t gotten their luggage yet! In most cases it was several days after their arrival that it even left the States. In some cases it still hasn’t left. U. S. has major issues likewise. 

Good Luck to all fellow travelers! Right now, attempting to fly in the day of Embarkment is just dumb. We have another week left of cruising and traveling. Hopefully things go smoothly for our return! 🙏

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Things are going to hell in a hand basket right now over here, and in the States. Min check at Amsterdam airport is now 3 hours, on weekends they are saying 5 hours. There isn’t enough labor at any stage: baggage handling, check in desks, security, pilots, flight attendants, etc. Long lines everywhere.

British Airlines is going on strike. So if you have a connecting flight with them, you may be out of luck. Plus KLM and I believe Air France has announced they are cutting about 25% of their flights, here on the Continent, due to personnel shortages . You really need to have non stop flights from the USA to your final destination! It is probably worth any premium you may have to pay.

Not all the problems are generated from this side of the pond. We’re on Day 8 of our cruise and you’d be amazed by the number of fellow cruisers that haven’t gotten their luggage yet! In most cases it was several days after their arrival that it even left the States. In some cases it still hasn’t left. U. S. has major issues likewise. 

Good Luck to all fellow travelers! Right now, attempting to fly in the day of Embarkment is just dumb. We have another week left of cruising and traveling. Hopefully things go smoothly for our return! 🙏

thanks....I am on a flight thursday  dia-ewr-zrh      Think I will do carry on.   were these luggage delay folks  in econ and into what final airport     who were they flying      I have had no trouble last week in the states  Den-Sfo routes.        

5 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

thanks....I am on a flight thursday  dia-ewr-zrh      Think I will do carry on.   were these luggage delay folks  in econ and into what final airport     who were they flying      I have had no trouble last week in the states  Den-Sfo routes.        

United and its Star Alliance partners via Chicago seems to be the biggest issue. Doesn’t matter if through FRA or ZRH. 

Next is Delta feeds through ATL. Seems the problems occurred there, not in Paris or AMS.

We had 2-3 couples show up a few days late. Same story regardless of airline. Regional flights canceled, everything full, couldn’t get new flights out for 1-2 days. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Our cruise ends in NYC on 7/5. Arriving 7/4 and was looking forward to watching fireworks from the west side.  Our luck- the fireworks have been moved to the East River. Oh well.

After a few days of Broadway binge, we’ll head home via EWR to SFO non-stop. Have never had an issue with mid-afternoon non-stop United flights home (from EWR). Nonetheless, we’re planning on getting to EWR 5 hrs prior! 

6 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Our cruise ends in NYC on 7/5. Arriving 7/4 and was looking forward to watching fireworks from the west side.  Our luck- the fireworks have been moved to the East River. Oh well.

After a few days of Broadway binge, we’ll head home via EWR to SFO non-stop. Have never had an issue with mid-afternoon non-stop United flights home (from EWR). Nonetheless, we’re planning on getting to EWR 5 hrs prior! 

Flights are full  like 110%.....  ANC-DEN-SFO PSP.      next week on a 767-300   only 2 Bus seats open and all the rest 100% load.      Fireworks in new your is a hourly happening  just head to bedford S   to catch  lots of fireworks.... if you miss the fourth...     Good luck, too risky for this boy . NY is off my list any time in the future...sorry.

8 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

You should still be able to see a lot.  Lots of fireworks all over.

Just awful, if it isn't covid issues it is the airport issues. So crowds are ok at airports but nowhere else, except riots and protests of course. 

We are doing all we can to resume travelling, but seems all around us factors are against us. 

We fly with O, they need to tell us what we need to do to get to the ship. Deviation fees need to be dropped to encourage coming in a day or several days earlier.  Our cruise is not till November. Hopefully things will improve by then. Cruise lines suffering from the covid restrictions will now also suffer from the hoops travelers need to jump through. Many are  cancelling their cruises because it has become terribly difficult to get to the ship and then get back home. We have made final pay and have to go through with it. 

On 6/25/2022 at 1:49 PM, jonthomas said:

Until you have done 10 cruises with O, there is a  hefty deviation cost if you fly in the day before. Hotel cost is understandable. 

With the chaos that is happening in most airports, I cant see anyone getting anywhere on time. O should recommend coming in the day before, but if they recommend it, shouldnt they wave the deviation fee?

I have several acquaintances who have cancelled their cruises because of what is going on at  the airports. They feel this will not be cleared up by the fall. Due to the stress of it all, easier to just cancel before FP. 

i think it is after 15 cruises that the deviation fee is waved or has that changed?

I read something recently that was written by an airline employee, and the best advice he/she could give is to book the earliest flight in the day. Apparently all the staffing issues compound and magnify as the day wears on resulting in cancellations. So your best bet is an EARLY morning flight.

On 6/26/2022 at 11:14 AM, jonthomas said:

Just awful, if it isn't covid issues it is the airport issues. So crowds are ok at airports but nowhere else, except riots and protests of course. 

We are doing all we can to resume travelling, but seems all around us factors are against us. 

We fly with O, they need to tell us what we need to do to get to the ship. Deviation fees need to be dropped to encourage coming in a day or several days earlier.  Our cruise is not till November. Hopefully things will improve by then. Cruise lines suffering from the covid restrictions will now also suffer from the hoops travelers need to jump through. Many are  cancelling their cruises because it has become terribly difficult to get to the ship and then get back home. We have made final pay and have to go through with it. 

I noticed a Sept Cruise I was on   was for 11 months 100% wait listed for ALL cabins... last week  poof...3/4 of all cabins are now open from PH1 to  b4.    The draconian restrictions... gotta wear masks on the ship in Spain, Italy  and Shipt pre testing all add up after 3 years of crap. 

People are weary and sick of rules that everyone knows are worthless political games that do nothing.    Flights I have been on are ALL 99.99% booked    Euro flights this week  only 3 seats open on the one I am taking... Airports look like they are giving away money....  Masses everywhere       If you are not flying Business of have an elite edge  you are in for a rough time.  Some airports are showing 3-4 hour checkin times needed

• Like 1

Guys, I own an AI company and I can tell you with 100% certainty that airlines track your flight searches on their websites as well as third party websites.  The algorithms will up the prices the more you look.  If you disappear for a while they may lower them again but no guarantee.  My son left my company to make piles of cash writing pesky consumer algorithms including those most pesky travel algorithms.

ALWAYS SEARCH IN PRIVATE MODE ON SAFARI OR INCOGNITO MODE ON GOOGLE.  (I know caps is being loud but it will save a ton of money so I am being loud about it)

Search a few third party websites (privately) and if they have lower fares than the airline website, choose the link directly to the airline to buy the tickets on the airline’s site.  

It used to be that the airlines tracked their own traffic only but no more, now they all coordinate and share info.

Also, another United flier here.  Customer service is the number one reason.  That and I lived most of my life in the frigid weather near their Ohare hub before finally moving south.  Plus they have the best FF program in the business.  I never pay for flights and always fly business simply from using my United Chase cards.  If I go to the store and even buy a loaf of bread, it goes on my card.  It all adds up to free flights quickly.

17 hours ago, the more ports the better said:

Guys, I own an AI company and I can tell you with 100% certainty that airlines track your flight searches on their websites as well as third party websites.  The algorithms will up the prices the more you look.  If you disappear for a while they may lower them again but no guarantee.  My son left my company to make piles of cash writing pesky consumer algorithms including those most pesky travel algorithms.

ALWAYS SEARCH IN PRIVATE MODE ON SAFARI OR INCOGNITO MODE ON GOOGLE.  (I know caps is being loud but it will save a ton of money so I am being loud about it)

Search a few third party websites (privately) and if they have lower fares than the airline website, choose the link directly to the airline to buy the tickets on the airline’s site.  

It used to be that the airlines tracked their own traffic only but no more, now they all coordinate and share info.

Also, another United flier here.  Customer service is the number one reason.  That and I lived most of my life in the frigid weather near their Ohare hub before finally moving south.  Plus they have the best FF program in the business.  I never pay for flights and always fly business simply from using my United Chase cards.  If I go to the store and even buy a loaf of bread, it goes on my card.  It all adds up to free flights quickly.

So are you saying that two different people can go to UA’s website, and see two completely different fares, depending upon how often they have inquired on the routes?

Wow. This is all just so crazy. 

We are feeling fortunate from our 6/15-6/25 Rome to Barcelona cruise.  We flew British Airways Phoenix-London-Rome, and then Barcelona-London-Phoenix.  I had been monitoring the Phoenix and London flights for a week prior, since it is the same plane - it lands, reloads, and then flies back.  It was almost NEVER on time. We left Phoenix 1 hour late, but made the time up in the air, for the most part. For our transfer flight to Rome, we needed every minute of the layover to go from Heathrow T3 to T5 to make the connection (to be honest, British Airways changed our flight time several months ago which shortened that connection by 30 minutes). The security lines were just maddening.

On the return flight from Barcelona on a Sunday morning early, we walked into the terminal and found snaking lines everywhere, including British Airways.  Though arriving at 5 a.m., we needed every minute again as we walked to the gate just as they called our boarding group. Fortunately, we had about a 6 hour layover to get from T5 back to T3 at Heathrow.  We witnessed security select a young family ahead of us with (I'm guessing) 3- and 4-year-old boys for higher level screening, and making the boys go through the full body scanner and hold their arms over their heads.  They were screaming as they didn't understand the instructions and were scared.  I have to ask if this was really necessary, and perhaps the cause of some of the ugly delays??

• Like 1

Hi All

We fly Manchester /LHR Barcelona two days before we board Nautica in Barcelona.

Great we thought! Barcelona is not that far, we can do some exploring.

But wait!  Good old BA (check in staff) are planning strike action Arrrrrrrgh! 

I will speak to out TA tomorrow to aske about Jet2 or Easy Jet and pay O for flight "deviation"

This is to be our first cruise since Covid put paid to earlier plans. 

Jx

On our return from AMS all the flights were completely full and oversold. In AMS about 20 passengers got bumped from our AA AMS-PHL flight. Most all of the BA ( AA’s oneworld partner) flights to London had been cancelled. Those affected didn’t know how or when they’d get home.

Our cruise was just over 50% full. The cruise after ours ( sailing now) is at 25% capacity, the next cruise was expected closer to 50%. We’ve heard similar numbers from those on both Oceania cruisers and the other lines. We had more staff than cruisers on our ship. The Lines were expecting to be back at full capacity by now. Late cancellation is high. They are hemorrhaging! At the end of our cruise lots of staff was being sent home. There was talk of cancellations/consolidations of upcoming cruises.

Now here’s the scary part. Imagine the flight nightmares if all those cruise lines and all of those cruises had indeed been booked full as was earlier expected!!! Literally imagine all those additional 10’s of thousands trying to get themselves and their luggage through the airports!!! To steal a movie script “ Houston, I think we’ve got a problem!”.

On 7/3/2022 at 7:45 AM, pinotlover said:

On our return from AMS all the flights were completely full and oversold. In AMS about 20 passengers got bumped from our AA AMS-PHL flight. Most all of the BA ( AA’s oneworld partner) flights to London had been cancelled. Those affected didn’t know how or when they’d get home.

Our cruise was just over 50% full. The cruise after ours ( sailing now) is at 25% capacity, the next cruise was expected closer to 50%. We’ve heard similar numbers from those on both Oceania cruisers and the other lines. We had more staff than cruisers on our ship. The Lines were expecting to be back at full capacity by now. Late cancellation is high. They are hemorrhaging! At the end of our cruise lots of staff was being sent home. There was talk of cancellations/consolidations of upcoming cruises.

Now here’s the scary part. Imagine the flight nightmares if all those cruise lines and all of those cruises had indeed been booked full as was earlier expected!!! Literally imagine all those additional 10’s of thousands trying to get themselves and their luggage through the airports!!! To steal a movie script “ Houston, I think we’ve got a problem!”.

Oh, yeah, that would be a problem!

We were on the June 15 Rome-Barcelona sailing on the Riviera, with I understand about 800 passengers.  This should be about 64% capacity.  While great to have the service and attention, it has to really be hurting the bottom line.