Bermuda - Cost of Shuttle Van to Horseshoe Bay

* Angela *

Hi, I will be visiting Bermuda in October and was wondering if anyone knew what the current cost is for a shuttle van to Horseshoe Bay.  Also, what are some other ways we could get over in that area?  Any info'd be appreciated.

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, * Angela * said:

Hi, I will be visiting Bermuda in October and was wondering if anyone knew what the current cost is for a shuttle van to Horseshoe Bay.  Also, what are some other ways we could get over in that area?  Any info'd be appreciated.

Thanks!

Going rate seems to be $7.00 per person each way. Other ways to get there: walk(not recommended); ride a bicycle ( not recommended); rent a moped/scooter (definitely not recommended); take the municipal bus ( cheaper, but then you have to walk up and down the VERY BIG HILL);  swim ( too far). Seriously, the $7.00  per person is the best bet!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, cruiserbear55 said:

Going rate seems to be $7.00 per person each way. Other ways to get there: walk(not recommended); ride a bicycle ( not recommended); rent a moped/scooter (definitely not recommended); take the municipal bus ( cheaper, but then you have to walk up and down the VERY BIG HILL);  swim ( too far). Seriously, the $7.00  per person is the best bet!

Taxi? ~$40, not unreasonable depending on # of party members.

I do like the idea of someone swimming around the island to get to the beach, though. 😄

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DCL2RCI said:

Taxi? ~$40, not unreasonable depending on # of party members.

I do like the idea of someone swimming around the island to get to the beach, though. 😄

Taxi would be about $33 with (1-4) passengers or $43 with (5-7) so a taxi could be reasonable depending on the number.  Plus considering that the $7 shuttle carries14 to 30 some might want to take a taxi anyway to avoid sharing with that many strangers.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Taxi would be about $33 with (1-4) passengers or $43 with (5-7) so a taxi could be reasonable depending on the number.  Plus considering that the $7 shuttle carries14 to 30 some might want to take a taxi anyway to avoid sharing with that many strangers.

Plus no waiting for the shuttle to fill up.

14 minutes ago, KATHYMAC68 said:

Where do you pick up that shuttle? Is there a sign to follow?

Do they take cash?

There are signs. Easy to find them when you get off the ship and when you are ready to return from Horseshoe. They take cash. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2022 at 4:47 PM, DCL2RCI said:

Plus no waiting for the shuttle to fill up.

We were in Bermuda June 15-17th and used the shuttle bus  as well as the taxi.  We waited about 15 min for the van to fill up.  The smaller the van the quicker it fills up most of the vans seem to seat around 20ish people - but there are some vans that seemed to be bigger.  The day we used the taxi we had got off the ship at 8:45 and it was $32 for 3 of us to taxi to horseshoe bay.  It was well worth it we got there very quickly - it was a good choice as there were few people getting off the ship at that time so we would have waited a good while for shuttle bus to fill.  We used the Shuttle bus to return.   There are plenty of taxis and shuttle busses at the port and at the bay to come back.  We had no issues.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Host Jacquelyn said:

Is the taxi metered or flat rate $32? We will be 4 people, so $32 is a good deal to not have to wait. But if it is metered, it could cost more with traffic.

Taxis are metered but it is by the mile, not time, except for tours which are by the hour.  The fare to Horseshoe for 1-4 will always be about $32 from the Dockyard. There is a surcharge for Sunday and holidays. It is government regulated. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Taxis are metered but it is by the mile, not time, except for tours which are by the hour.  The fare to Horseshoe for 1-4 will always be about $32 from the Dockyard. There is a surcharge for Sunday and holidays. It is government regulated. 

I can't say for sure if this is the case in Bermuda, but it's common for taxi meters to have a time element also built in to the mileage fare structure. If the taxicab is moving below a specified speed the fare increases at some amount per minute.  This is done to account for traffic delays and also if you have a taxi wait for you while you make a stop. 

I know the posted fare structure we see in Bermuda doesn't say they have a time-related  charge but I'm fairly sure I've seen the fare tick up while the taxi is stopped.

32 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I can't say for sure if this is the case in Bermuda, but it's common for taxi meters to have a time element also built in to the mileage fare structure. If the taxicab is moving below a specified speed the fare increases at some amount per minute.  This is done to account for traffic delays and also if you have a taxi wait for you while you make a stop. 

I know the posted fare structure we see in Bermuda doesn't say they have a time-related  charge but I'm fairly sure I've seen the fare tick up while the taxi is stopped.

I have never seen it tick up while stopped in Bermuda. Taken a lot of taxis there. Never had any traffic delays though either. We never slowed down. There are no traffic lights between Dockyard and Horseshoe. 

12 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I have never seen it tick up while stopped in Bermuda. Taken a lot of taxis there. Never had any traffic delays though either. We never slowed down. There are no traffic lights between Dockyard and Horseshoe. 

There are traffic lights in Hamilton and that's where I thought I observed the meter tick up. It was years ago so my memory may be mistaken. 

You have no doubt taken many more taxis than I have so I'll assume I'm mistaken. 

49 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

There are traffic lights in Hamilton and that's where I thought I observed the meter tick up. It was years ago so my memory may be mistaken. 

You have no doubt taken many more taxis than I have so I'll assume I'm mistaken. 

It is possible. We took a taxi from Hamilton to Horseshoe in 2019 and I did not notice it ticking up. I am sensitive of meters ticking up because when I took taxis in the DC area there were a lot of lights and ticking up.  Never knew what the fare would be on the same trip. Loved UBER and LYFT in DC as no need to worry about the meter. Never felt sensitive to the meter in Bermuda. The fare was always what I expected so if there is a time factor it never mattered. 

Thank you all for the current information.   Last time we were in Bermuda we did the $7 per person van shuttle.  Going there it worked out well as we left the Dockyard right away, but returning, we had to wait around a half an hour for the van to fill up.    I think this time we will splurge and take a taxi both ways.