Hotels in Madrid and Barcelona

millybess

We are booked for Viking Mediterranean Odyssey and Empires of the Mediterranean B2B. I have researched the CC port forum and garnered some information, but I would also like Info from Viking cruisers. 

We will be in Madrid 3 nights and Barcelona 2 nights before we board and stay another night in Barcelona on Viking Sea.  At the moment we are looking at Iberostar in both cities.

In Madrid we want to stay close to Plaza Mayor.

In Barcelona we want to stay near Plaça de Catalunya, perhaps down toward the Cathedral and the Gothic Quarter.

Can anyone who has recently been to either of these cities recommend a place to stay.  Thanks much.

20 minutes ago, millybess said:

We are booked for Viking Mediterranean Odyssey and Empires of the Mediterranean B2B. I have researched the CC port forum and garnered some information, but I would also like Info from Viking cruisers. 

We will be in Madrid 3 nights and Barcelona 2 nights before we board and stay another night in Barcelona on Viking Sea.  At the moment we are looking at Iberostar in both cities.

In Madrid we want to stay close to Plaza Mayor.

In Barcelona we want to stay near Plaça de Catalunya, perhaps down toward the Cathedral and the Gothic Quarter.

Can anyone who has recently been to either of these cities recommend a place to stay.  Thanks much.

Serras Hotel Barcelona - smaller boutique hotel, outstanding service, rooms, food! Bottom of the Quarter - actually very near the piers. About a 16 minute walk to Plaça de Catalunya. 🍺🥌

image.png.5b00b19dfcbe49632c9fd247ce9f342b.png

• Thanks 1

We stayed at Petite Palace Plaza Mayor for a couple of nights on an “independent” extension in 2018.  Small and a little quirky but relatively inexpensive and the location was great.  We had a huge bathroom and a nice terrace too.  

Just stayed at the Casa Foster in Barcelona. Not exactly the area you are looking for but I don't remember staying at an hotel where I enjoyed better service. Not a giant chain hotel and a beautiful rooftop bar/restaurant. Would go again in a heartbeat.

We stayed in Petit Palace in Ramblas in Barcelona.  The entrance is on the walkway so when we were dropped off by the taxi, we had to walk about a block to the hotel entrance.  When the taxi picked us up for our very early morning flight, he was able to enter the walkway.  It was a very comfortable, quiet hotel where our hotel overlooked a courtyard and had an excellent breakfast available.  I’d have no problems staying here again.  
We had tickets to the Opera the following night at Grand Teatre del Liceu and it was a short walk.  

Edited by Mich3554
  • Like 1

Recently finished the Chairman's cruise and did the Barcelona post-extension. Viking used the Nobu Hotel - very near the train station - probably not the best location for handy sightseeing but was a very nice hotel. Breakfast each morning was on the top (23rd) floor with an outstanding view of the city. 

Pre Covid , but not long before , we stayed at Hotel Jazz and were very happy on both occasions. It is only 2 - 3 minutes walk from Placa Catalunya, in a small street - so you don’t get traffic noise. Also has a great rooftop bar and pol.

Check out Hotel Pulitzer. It is 1/2 block  off Placa Catalunya. Has a great roof top bar. Good breakfast, but no on site restaurant  for dinner.  Rooms small but  very nice bathrooms. 

Stayed there twice . 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, millybess said:

Thanks so very much for all of these suggestions. 

@Mich3554 is the Petit Palace you referred to the “Boqueria Garden” or “Museo”. 

Thanks again to you all. I will probably have more questions about all of these places. 

Boqueria Garden.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks so much for your input.

We will book Hotel Jazz or Serras Hotel in Barcelona which are not open for booking as of yet.

In Madrid we booked Pestana Plaza Mayor.  Has anyone stayed there?

We are flying to Porto and then we will be in Spain for about 10 days before the cruise touring the Galacia region.  All of our hotels are booked their too except for Santiago.  We are wanting to book Rua Pillar which is not open for bookings yet.

All of our bookings are refundable.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone stayed at H10 Madison in Barcelona?  We tried to book Hotel Serras and Hotel Jazz but there must be something going on in Barcelona during our stay because many hotels are blacked out for check-ins during our time there. 

This is strange.  We are on Med Antiquities and will spend two days in Barcelona after the cruise.  I tried both the Hotels you mentioned and three other five star hotels and none were available.  We ended up booking the Mercer, which looks lovely, is in a great location, and has a wonderful staff who have already helped me with planning.  

Thanks.  One other thing you might be interested in.  Out TA suggested we try a Tours by Local tour when we disembark.  I looked into it, and they will pick you and your luggage up at the ship, give you a full or half day private tour, and then drop you off at your hotel when it is checkin time.  I haven’t booked this yet, but am interested in the one call Barcelona beneath the skin.  We will probably do the Viking tour of Sagrada Familia the day before when we are still on the ship and overnight in Barcelona.  But you can customize the tour.  

2 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Thanks.  One other thing you might be interested in.  Out TA suggested we try a Tours by Local tour when we disembark.  I looked into it, and they will pick you and your luggage up at the ship, give you a full or half day private tour, and then drop you off at your hotel when it is checkin time.  I haven’t booked this yet, but am interested in the one call Barcelona beneath the skin.  We will probably do the Viking tour of Sagrada Familia the day before when we are still on the ship and overnight in Barcelona.  But you can customize the tour.  

After reading here about some of the private tours of Sagrada Familia vs the Viking tour, I think we will do private, probably with Tours by Local or Viator. 

We are touring Spain for a couple of weeks before we join the ship, so we are using Luggage Forward. 

Thanks for the info on Barcelona Below The Skin. I looked it up and it is mucho interesante!

We are also big fans of Luggage Forward.  After we got it free on our Viking WC, we never went back.  I can certainly do two days pre cruise in Athens and two days post cruise in Barcelona with just our carry on luggage.  Sounds like we are kindred spirits.  I thought the beneath the skin tour  looked quite interesting, too.

On 6/24/2022 at 9:08 AM, Azulann said:

Check out Hotel Pulitzer. It is 1/2 block  off Placa Catalunya. Has a great roof top bar. Good breakfast, but no on site restaurant  for dinner.  Rooms small but  very nice bathrooms. 

Stayed there twice . 

We stayed at Hotel  Regina which is right next door to Hotel Pulitzer. Small hotel but lovely people - nice location. The staff helped me get to a hospital in the middle of the night when I became ill. 😊 Loved this hotel. 

12 minutes ago, crimmj said:

We stayed at Hotel  Regina which is right next door to Hotel Pulitzer. Small hotel but lovely people - nice location. The staff helped me get to a hospital in the middle of the night when I became ill. 😊 Loved this hotel. 

Thanks crimmj. We will look into that. Sounds like everything turned out okay for you 😊