Rccl insurance.

miyanc

So historically I have been both lucky and greatful.not to have needed it. I am aware most cruise lines allow for or refund covid issues.  I am set to go on the allure in Oct. And for the first time on this cruise we are electing for insurance.  Taking the whole family and traveling much farther then we usually do (Aruba and cuarcus)  the cruise is 2555 and 206 of that is insurance booked thru royal.  They said the name of the company but I am sure u all know who it is, I don't remember.  

My questions are about the cost and quality of what you get vs outside insurance.  I also have only paid the deposit, with full payment coming shortly, can I cancel?

I am sure I can research some of this, just figured it was know territory.   As always i appreciate the input.  Ty

You might want to browse a bit here on this Travel Insurance sub-forum.

Unless you have made your FIRST payment (that deposit?) within the past 10-20 days (depends upon state of residence), you probably won't be able to get CFAR (Cancel For Any Reason) coverage, which the cruiseline coverage MIGHT provide - but likely in form of cruise credits with a deadline.  Third party insurance usually allows 75% cash refund for CFAR.

So outside insurance has an advantage of "cash back", with no need to take another cruise with that line within a certain time frame.

There may also be more $$ coverage for medical emergencies.

Try calling www.TripInsuranceStore.com (but CALL to get specifics about your particular needs/preferences for coverage) for more details.

They are a broker and work with several vetted insurers.

We've had several claims (alas), and been paid each time.

GC

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

You might want to browse a bit here on this Travel Insurance sub-forum.

Unless you have made your FIRST payment (that deposit?) within the past 10-20 days (depends upon state of residence), you probably won't be able to get CFAR (Cancel For Any Reason) coverage, which the cruiseline coverage MIGHT provide - but likely in form of cruise credits with a deadline.  Third party insurance usually allows 75% cash refund for CFAR.

So outside insurance has an advantage of "cash back", with no need to take another cruise with that line within a certain time frame.

There may also be more $$ coverage for medical emergencies.

Try calling www.TripInsuranceStore.com (but CALL to get specifics about your particular needs/preferences for coverage) for more details.

They are a broker and work with several vetted insurers.

We've had several claims (alas), and been paid each time.

GC

actually just paid dep tuesday.  ty i will check.

I will second @GeezerCouple's comments.  In addition here are a few more comments.

• RCI's medical coverage is better than many cruise line policies, but it is still only $25K.  Plus it pays secondary (after you file with any other insurance).  It also excludes pre-existing conditions with a 60 day lookback period.  IMHO, unless you have other coverage, $25K is to low if you have anything serious.  Make sure you understand the definition of pre-existing conditions.  Many people have one  without realizing it.  Most third party plans waive exclusion for pre-existing conditions if you meet policy specific requirements.
  • Most of the other coverage in RCI's policy also excludes pre-existing conditions.
  • Cancel For Any Reason (CFAR) gives you a 90% back in the form of a Future Cruise Credit (FCC) that typically expires in a year.  It only applies to the cruise cost and not any air, even if purchased from RCI (AIR2SEA). If this is the ONLY reason you want insurance and the terms are acceptable, this might be better and cheaper than a third party plan that pays cash.
  • RCI's cancelation/interruption  coverage only covers items purchased through them (with the limitation above). 

Also see my response in this recent thread.

Edited by Jersey42

Just now, miyanc said:

actually just paid dep tuesday.  ty i will check.

Good! 🙂

You should have a very good choice of policies.

Keep in mind things like whether there are elderly/frail family members at home, and whether you'd want to cancel if they got very sick, even if the travelers are okay, etc.

And with all the airline chaos (which may be better by fall... but who knows), what the coverage is for flight delays/cancellations/etc., and what happens in that causes you to miss the cruise.

Make SURE you understand what you need to do in case of a covered event... when to notify insurer, what to do to minimize the costs, etc.  In case of a claim based upon a medical event, you *must* have a letter signed by a physician.  One can *not* declare one's self "sick" and get a claim paid.

Any pre-existing conditions?  That has a *different* definition than we typically use in everyday life.

GC

You say "Taking the whole family...". I don't know what that means but could be very important. Each State has it's own rules and regulations. Therefore, if you decide to go with 3rd party insurance, if any of this "whole" family live outside of NC, you'll have to purchase multiple policies. That's one reason why cruise line policies are so generic, they are written to satisfy all 50 States (except NY).

Another reason to go with a broker, as suggested earlier.