ETIAS

Bin man

2 minutes ago, paulatsea said:

I would give it a try - if I could afford it.

Anyone here done this ? Like 90 days or more ? World cruise etc ? 

Yes.
110 nights on Aurora on a world cruise 10 years ago. A fabulous experience and loved every moment….

As a solo passenger I went to places I never thought I would ever visit (like China, India and Vietnam) and made life long friends who I still cruise with.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, paulatsea said:

I would give it a try - if I could afford it.

Anyone here done this ? Like 90 days or more ? World cruise etc ? 

off topic I know .

Quite a few on here do "worldies".

There is even a specific forum for world cruises.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Yes.
110 nights on Aurora on a world cruise 10 years ago. A fabulous experience and loved every moment….

As a solo passenger I went to places I never thought I would ever visit (like China, India and Vietnam) and made life long friends who I still cruise with.

Thanks Angel - excellent - sounds fantastic

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ace2542 said:

What if it gets rejected for whatever reason? And what if that rejection happens after you have made your final payment date?

And fwiw the decision to do brexit has now made it impossible for Brits to live on cruise ships and I believe a few did at least before Covid.

Many years ago one of my friends had dual passports, bank accounts and driving licences. That could help.🤔

19 hours ago, zap99 said:

What got rejected?🤔

The eita whatever they call it the european version of the ESTA. What if that got denied? Not that we have criminal records or anything? Our final payment date is BEFORE you can apply in Jan 2023. We are on Anthem TA in April/May 2023 going Azores and France then UK from NYC.

15 hours ago, zap99 said:

Many years ago one of my friends had dual passports, bank accounts and driving licences. That could help.🤔

You could probably get away with 90 days USA and 90 days europe with a lot of QM2 T/As included in that.

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

The eita whatever they call it the european version of the ESTA. What if that got denied? Not that we have criminal records or anything? Our final payment date is BEFORE you can apply in Jan 2023. We are on Anthem TA in April/May 2023 going Azores and France then UK from NYC.

It's not live until May 2023

43 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

It's not live until May 2023

When in May 2023 does it go live? We would be on Anthem May 1st to at least May 12th with Cherbourg and Le Harve being May 10th and 11th I think. No later than May 14th.

3 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

don't know yet.  I put myself down for email update when it goes live.

What do you mean when it goes live? When people start applying? Because we could be at Sea when it goes live? So could a lot of people it is T/A season in May.

https://www.etiasvisa.com/etias-news/etias-mandatory-end-2022

Then there is this bit "There could be a short implementation period after ETIAS is launchd. In this case, ETIAS registration would not be mandatory for at least 6 months after going live. Applying for ETIAS would be optional for trips to Europe at this time.

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, wowzz said:

No, because, assuming the ship is visiting Europe,  you are limited to a total of 90 days in any 180 period. Getting off does not "reset" the clock.

Hopefully my Irish passport will be through by then so it will be irrelevant for me, and also irrelevant for my wife travelling on her UK passport as the 90/180 rule doesn’t apply to spouses and children of EU citizens when travelling with the EU citizen. 

• Like 1

On 6/24/2022 at 11:42 PM, zap99 said:

Who can say. We flew into Menorca and they stamped our passport. In Lanzarote they didn't 🤔.

Risky if it isn’t stamped - there have been cases already where people haven’t had their passport stamped on either entry or exit and then been accused of breaking the 90/180 rule when they next try to enter or exit the Schengen zone (obviously not all of the EU is in Schengen and some outside the EU is). 

Break the 90/180 and you could be fined, but more likely banned from entering for a period. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, picsa said:

Risky if it isn’t stamped - there have been cases already where people haven’t had their passport stamped on either entry or exit and then been accused of breaking the 90/180 rule when they next try to enter or exit the Schengen zone (obviously not all of the EU is in Schengen and some outside the EU is). 

Break the 90/180 and you could be fined, but more likely banned from entering for a period. 

Thanks. I'll make sure they do it in future.

5 minutes ago, picsa said:

Hopefully my Irish passport will be through by then so it will be irrelevant for me, and also irrelevant for my wife travelling on her UK passport as the 90/180 rule doesn’t apply to spouses and children of EU citizens when travelling with the EU citizen. 

I have Irish ancestry on my mothers side 3 generations back but I don't think that qualifies 😢

30 minutes ago, picsa said:

I think you still need a visa to stay after 90 days - in France anyway from what I have just read if you are a non EU spouse of an EU citizen.  ? Doesn’t seem that clear to me.

Edited by paulatsea

56 minutes ago, paulatsea said:

I think you still need a visa to stay after 90 days - in France anyway from what I have just read if you are a non EU spouse of an EU citizen.  ? Doesn’t seem that clear to me.

My understanding is that even if you are an EU citizen then if you are staying in another EU country for more than three months in one go then you need to apply for residency. 

However there is nothing to stop you leaving that country just before the three months is up and then returning after a day or two. 

For the spouse of an EU citizen then a visa would be required if they were staying for over three months (and their EU citizen spouse applied for residency) but if they accompanied their EU citizen spouse in leaving the EU country they had been in just before the three months and then came back with them then they wouldn’t - the 90/180 rule not applying as it would be an infringement of the freedoms given to EU citizens - family life, etc. 

So effectively if you wanted to winter in the EU in the Schengen zone you can easily do so if one of you holds say an Irish passport. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

And then we left …. and now we have this hassle. 

The U.K. supported the introduction of both ETIAS and EES when they were put forward pre 2016, apparently the U.K. will have its own versions in 2025, subject to all the usual government IT caveats. 

1 hour ago, picsa said:

My understanding is that even if you are an EU citizen then if you are staying in another EU country for more than three months in one go then you need to apply for residency. 

However there is nothing to stop you leaving that country just before the three months is up and then returning after a day or two. 

For the spouse of an EU citizen then a visa would be required if they were staying for over three months (and their EU citizen spouse applied for residency) but if they accompanied their EU citizen spouse in leaving the EU country they had been in just before the three months and then came back with them then they wouldn’t - the 90/180 rule not applying as it would be an infringement of the freedoms given to EU citizens - family life, etc. 

So effectively if you wanted to winter in the EU in the Schengen zone you can easily do so if one of you holds say an Irish passport. 

Thanks picsa - that makes sense - it was the leaving just before 90 and returning that I missed.

My wife is Finnish so that’s good to know !

I also still get the EU health card because of this - and she gets the UK one because of me !

We will have to go through different passport queues though,  where they have them.

Pain.

thanks for the info shipmate.

3 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

No, we didn't.  We used to go to France on our boat and never had to do anything.  Then we joined the EU.

In the old days when we went to Spain, we needed an International driving permit, but didn't need any Certificate of competence for the boat.