Refurbush what and other changes

ctjon

Wondering what major refurbishment will mean.  Just do something with cabins to increase size and reduce numbers and???  There is always the new rugs, worn out furnishings (which I really never saw much of) and what else.  Re-shape restaurants? Lounges?  Wonder what they will do.  I'm sure there are technical and ship equipment stuff also.

Also, since no longer Asian owned anyone think they will change the Asian restaurants into something else - region specific for a specific cruises. etc.

Interested to what ideas people have and then see what they do

One of the biggest questions is will land tours be included in the new pricing structure.  A&K do them so well, but i know a lot of Crystal cruisers liked booking their own thing.

Second big question is whether there is enough time for them to put together a World Cruise in 2023 or should we just book a safari and take a shorter cruise or two in 2023.  I expect a lot of people would be interested in any world cruises that Crystal puts together.  Thankfully the Crystal announcement came out just in time before we paid the balance of the deposit for Regent WC 2025.  Would rather wait for Crystal.

I can't imagine that they will invest the time and money it takes to increase the size of the cabins.  The ships have limited lifespans and the ROI just wouldn't be there.  I do expect a major refurbishment within the cabins themselves, however. 

I sure hope that the association with Nobu continues and that Umi Uma remains unchanged.  It was certainly the premier Japanese restaurant on the seas .

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, CruisePfan said:

One of the biggest questions is will land tours be included in the new pricing structure.  A&K do them so well, but i know a lot of Crystal cruisers liked booking their own thing.

Second big question is whether there is enough time for them to put together a World Cruise in 2023 or should we just book a safari and take a shorter cruise or two in 2023.  I expect a lot of people would be interested in any world cruises that Crystal puts together.  Thankfully the Crystal announcement came out just in time before we paid the balance of the deposit for Regent WC 2025.  Would rather wait for Crystal.

The issue is whether the are looking for synergies between A & K and Crystal or just looking at entering the cruise market.  That is not clear from the press releases.  I can envision pre and post cruise program with an A & K link.  I took A & K to Cuba.  There is nothing better.

• Like 1

I would like to see Silk and the steak place be eliminated. Anything with Nobu will need to be negotiated by the new owners. Silversea has an incredible variety of dining choices- looking forward to them!

• Like 2

The Dance program was important to many long-time Crystal cruisers. A high priority is to replace the dance floor on Crystal Serenity.

What were the Signature features on Silversea ships pre-RCCL? 

Here are my two cents:

I never liked the Churrascaria.  I think it can be combined with  Silk and UmiUma and make it an “Asian” restaurant like the Pacific Rim on Regent.

The cabins may be a bit small but cabins on the Serenity is only about 15% smaller than the older SilverSea cabins.  

• Thanks 1

My one fervent wish is that they provide more shaded areas around the pool. Please. That will also stop a lot of problems with chair hogging (a subject of many, many past threads).

• Like 1

Well I was on the Symphony on her last cruise and can vouch that she was in pristine condition. My first impression of the ship was the smell of new carpet as I boarded and the crew were varnishing the rails on deck on the day that the warrant was announced. I Can’t wait to sail on her again. 

• Like 7

The problem with the Brazilian steakhouse was obvious. I might go to a churrasqueria once a year   It’s a humungous amount of food. You want a restaurant passengers can go to more than once during a cruise 

Execution was excellent. But imo it is the wrong choice for a cruise ship

i don’t know anyone who liked Silk. It kind of didn’t know what it wanted to be 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, bitob said:

The problem with the Brazilian steakhouse was obvious. I might go to a churrasqueria once a year   It’s a humungous amount of food. You want a restaurant passengers can go to more than once during a cruise 

Execution was excellent. But imo it is the wrong choice for a cruise ship

i don’t know anyone who liked Silk. It kind of didn’t know what it wanted to be 

Silk was great for lunch but slightly underwhelming for dinner. And that’s coming from someone that would eat Chinese 7 days a week. Prego was absolutely my favourite Restaurant at sea ever.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, bitob said:

We liked prego. The Italian restaurant on silversea, la terraza, is just as good. It’s not that hard to do Italian food well 

I Think we were a little unlucky on both of our SS cruises as la Terraza was a little disorganised and the food, though very good,  not quite up to the standard of Prego. I enjoyed my first meal at Prego so much I repeated it 5 times on that cruise. Carpaccio, Mushroom Soup, Lamb cutlets and the Brûlée selection. The advantage that la T has is the outdoor dining which was a real plus.

Edited by Daveywavey70
  • Like 3

I will be interested if they do parts of the originally planned Symphony drydock (supposed to happen in 2020 and were the HVAC updates and also possibly plumbing updates). It is important to me to have functions like that be in tip top shape all over the ships, especially after the pandemic.

The other features that really matter to me are high food quality in restaurants, Sommelier services, and events in The Vintage Room.

I am looking forward to 2023/2024 and having a nice reunion with these ships.

The happy & smiling faces of crew and passengers will be coming back soon!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, peribit said:

Here are my two cents:

I never liked the Churrascaria.  I think it can be combined with  Silk and UmiUma and make it an “Asian” restaurant like the Pacific Rim on Regent.

The cabins may be a bit small but cabins on the Serenity is only about 15% smaller than the older SilverSea cabins.  

I'm not a fan of Churrascaria but a lot of people did like it. I absolutely would not combine Umi Uma and Silk like Pacific Rim Pacific Rim never came close to the quality of Umi Uma and Nobu's concept. Not even in the same ballpark. Do they need to do better on Silk or something totally different. I agree with you but not to dilute Nobu.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cruise-y said:

Silk and the Brazilian steakhouse can go. I’d love to see an informal French bistro. 

Oh I like that idea!

I hope they keep the top notch shows and lecture series top notch.   We really enjoyed them.   It would be fabulous if they kept Nobu.  

• Like 4

Like many I'm curious as to what type of refurbishment could be realistically achieved within the  timeframes if, as the new owners have stated, operations commence in 2023 unless it's nearer the end of that year.  

In my mind, there isn't a lot wrong with both ships that would require tinkering with.  Clearly passengers have their favourite restaurants but how would the new owners know which ones.    

Given the high level of repeat passengers clearly Crystal have been doing something right and to use the well worn phrase ' if it's not bust don't fix it'.

The one area which would elevate the Crystal brand higher (beyond all other cruise lines) would be to integrate it with A&K's professional and well established highly regarded land excursions.  But it would be foolish of them to integrate it into the cruise price as many repeat customers just like to cruise and excursions are a secondary consideration, if at all.

I'm looking forward to seeing Crystal sailing again.

My dilemma might be if Crystal announce sailings at the time when we are scheduled to cruise with Seabourn which we selected as our alternative to Crystal before the news of the takeover was announced.  What dilemma.      

Any cruise line that integrates shore excursions into the cruise price is off my list.  But to offer the A&K shore excursions as an option would be welcomed.  They sound wonderful!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, MsCrystalina said:

I would like to see Silk and the steak place be eliminated. Anything with Nobu will need to be negotiated by the new owners. Silversea has an incredible variety of dining choices- looking forward to them!

for me Nobu may pack and go

all those names on cruise ships .is it necessary ?

a 3 starred chef on Hapag , Keller on SB ,  former le cirque previously on Hal, Angelo Auriana on princess Todd English for a while on Cunard

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hoping Nobu stays, the mushroom soup in the bread bowl at Prego stays, burgers and the staff at Trident grill, baked Alaska in the MDR, meet and greets at the Palm Court, sea day trivia, and the Avenue Saloon all stay. Some of my fondest memories are late nights at the Avenue Saloon. Even the discos on Serenity and Symphony hold great memories. Karaoke on formal nights was amazing.

Edited by Flash G